What makes you awesome?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by yoopergirl, Sep 28, 2011.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Sep 29, 2011 #21

Zandoz

Zandoz

Zandoz

Highly irregular

I wish I had something positive to say on this. I wish that there was at least a tiny speck of awesomeness left...but there is nothing. I blame no one for this. There was no mastermind thief...there was no one event. It was an erosion...a physical skill here...a mental capacity there...a memory some place else. The loss was a snowballing thing..silently increasing. Then the days start to steam roll...those "I should have been able to do that easily" and "I knew better than that" days becoming more and more frequent. Finally, on one of those days, sitting on the edge of bed in the morning, you realize that the only reason for getting up is the need to pee. There is nothing awesome in that.

2. Sep 29, 2011 #22

yoopergirl

yoopergirl

yoopergirl

Honey Badger

I'll admit that I haven't seen many signs of awesomeness in myself in a while...but I guess what makes me awesome right now is that my 4-yr-old niece thinks I am.

I have pretty much helped raise her since she was a year old, and even though I only see her on the weekends now because of work, she and I have a pretty tight connection. And even though she's crazy and sassy and has waaay more attitude than anyone her age has a right to, I spend every week looking forward to getting to my sisters Friday night and being smothered in kisses & hugs & squeals of "Auntie Nic! I love you!"

She knows that I know her favorite books by heart, that I'll sit down & read and color and play with her for hours, that I think of her whenever I go to the video rental place or the library, that I know a zillion kids songs and that if she catches me during a silly moment I'll make up a song on the spot.

I may know all the rules, and make her follow them whether she likes it or not, but at the end of the day I love her enough to sit down & cuddle & read "just one more story." And that makes me awesome. :)

Chimpi likes this.
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #23

CarlaSixx

CarlaSixx

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo

I... I don't have an answer to this.

Not because I don't want to... Or not because there isn't. I just can't recognize it in myself.
    Basically... I don't think I'm awesome in the slightest.

MattB likes this.
  4. Sep 30, 2011 #24

LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz

LovelyLiz

In all honesty, Jesus makes me awesome. (Not trying to be preachy, just wanting to be honest about what I believe to be true and have experienced in my life.)

My desire to love other people and affirm their value, especially those who are excluded or marginalized in society, the way I fearlessly admit my flaws and the dark thoughts and impulses that exist in me so that they can be healed, openness to all different kinds of people, and my creative enthusiasm for reshaping the unjust ways the world is organized - all these I pretty directly associate with my connection to Jesus and study of his way of life.

Maybe this goes beyond the bounds of the question, and really don't intend for this post to be contentious, but I felt like I needed to include it to give the answer to the OP's question that I found to be truest.

hrd likes this.
  5. Sep 30, 2011 #25

FA Punk

FA Punk

FA Punk

What makes me awesome? Well as some of you already know I don't have a problem speaking my mind;). Also I make killer hot wings, for realz it's like a orgasm in your mouth.

6. Sep 30, 2011 #26

Cors

Cors

Cors

Delurking

Survivor? That will suffice for now. ;)

CastingPearls likes this.
  7. Sep 30, 2011 #27

spiritangel

spiritangel

spiritangel

AmandaClause

8. Sep 30, 2011 #28

LifeTraveller

LifeTraveller

LifeTraveller

Sporadic Poster

My best friend says I'm the most "resourceful" person they've every met. . That goes back to the old saying, I've done so much, for so long with so little; I'm now qualified to do anything with nothing. . hahaha Used to be one of my favorite quotes. My daughters says I'm the most reliable man in the whole world. (their opinion is way biased). . I don't consider myself all that much, but when others do. .makes life way better!!

9. Sep 30, 2011 #29

ThikJerseyChik

ThikJerseyChik

ThikJerseyChik

Sweet & Salty ;)

I always see the upside...look for the best in everything LOVE to laugh - am very charasmatic and tenacious....never surrender and my ferocity is what makes me spectacularly awesome!

I rock!! :D

10. Sep 30, 2011 #30

CastingPearls

CastingPearls

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home In Remembrance

This thread was an awesome idea. :bow:

11. Sep 30, 2011 #31

yoopergirl

yoopergirl

yoopergirl

Honey Badger

I'm glad people seem to be enjoying it. I just wanted to share my friends post, because it really got me thinking. It seems like it's so easy to focus on the things we DON'T like about ourselves, but tough to find things we really like.

The post also reminded me of this video I saw on YouTube a while back of a little girl giving herself a pep talk:

http://youtu.be/qR3rK0kZFkg

Gotta love kiddos & their self-confidence. :D

12. Oct 2, 2011 #32

MattB

MattB

MattB

Epicurean

When I was a kid, I gave the universe the middle finger because I hated it. Now, I still give it the middle finger but with a smile on my face because I won... :)

13. Oct 2, 2011 #33

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

Agreed.

What makes me awesome ... My mom went into labor with me in the middle of a blizzard, about three and a half months early. I was born weighing 1 lb. 11 oz. with no birth defects. The hospital records cited it as a miracle birth.

I am strong, compassionate, creative and pretty good in the kitchen. If there's a principle involved or an underdog to defend I will fight for what's right. I am ethical and honest to a fault, and my nephew still calls and makes time to see me when he's home from college and has barely two days in town. I'm easy to hang out with and have been told more than a couple times that I'm 'the one that got away'.

But what I like most about myself, at the moment (other than being blessed with a really great natural hair color), is that I have a broad range of motion when it comes to being comfortable with a wide variety of people. The ways in which we're all different from one another is a gift that allows me to see and appreciate both the human and the divine in the world around me.

14. Oct 3, 2011 #34

lozonloz

lozonloz

lozonloz

I am so jiggly and cuddly that my totally non-FA friends enjoy playing with my body and giggling.

Hell, I caught myself laughing in a mirror the other day and went into fits of further giggles cos of the way my cleavage ripples when I laugh.

Awesome.

:p

one2one likes this.
  15. Oct 4, 2011 #35

Luv2BNaughty

Luv2BNaughty

Luv2BNaughty

\m/o.O\m/

Hello, me! I'm right there with you. I don't know that I ever felt awesome, to be honest.

I'd say that's a miracle!! Even though it wouldn't take this to realize that, but I have first-hand experience being that my one and only was born at 28 weeks and weighed 1 lb 11.6 oz. He wasn't breathing when they did the emergency c-section and also had a hemorrhage on his brain. He was in Stage III of Retinopathy and failed his Apgar. But here we are today, a month away from celebrating his 12th birthday. He has his disabilities, sure, but you couldn't ask for a sweeter disposition in a child. My mom still says that she doesn't know how I handled it all. Being 21 and playing 24 hr nurse with him. I guess some might considered that as being awesome. I just considered, and still consider, it being a mother. <3

yoopergirl likes this.
  16. Oct 4, 2011 #36

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

I think you are absolutely awesome.

17. Oct 4, 2011 #37

bmann0413

bmann0413

bmann0413

PLAYER ONE READY! START!

I don't really know. I need to do a bit of soul-searching before I can answer this.

18. Oct 4, 2011 #38

ManBeef

ManBeef

ManBeef

The question should be what DOESN'T make me awesome... Cuz the answer is NUFFIN!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! I make me awesome.

19. Oct 4, 2011 #39

snuggletiger

snuggletiger

snuggletiger

Clowns Fear Me

My humor, my honestly of calling things the way they are, and my ability to be compassionate.

20. Oct 4, 2011 #40

Surlysomething

Surlysomething

Surlysomething

In Remembrance In Remembrance

My low threshold for bullshit.

MattB and yoopergirl like this.