Quantcast

What's pissing you off today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ODFFA

It feels a little gross to say there's been something about this lockdown period that I've found blissful... but there has been. It was the first time that I'd ever experienced living in SA and not being particularly worried about crime. The drop in our crime stats over these last months has been staggering.

I knew it would be temporary. And, yep, here we go again with the neighbourhood watch posts and the break-in alerts. Safety has always been one of the things at the heart of my love-hate relationship with SA (along with racism, poverty & sexism). And after this blissful break, I just feel especially pissed off about having to live in such a crime-ridden country.

ETA: I just listened to our president's latest national address, and am overcome with gratitude at his recognition of the concerns I was just bitching about above. It'd be remiss of me not to mention this, because it truly did move me 😭 No president before has been this outspoken against gender-based violence, not even Mandela.

Last edited:

Shotha

DM Supporter
It feels a little gross to say there's been something about this lockdown period that I've found blissful... but there has been. It was the first time that I'd ever experienced living in SA and not being particularly worried about crime. The drop in our crime stats over these last months has been staggering.

I knew it would be temporary. And, yep, here we go again with the neighbourhood watch posts and the break-in alerts. Safety has always been one of the things at the heart of my love-hate relationship with SA (along with racism, poverty & sexism). And after this blissful break, I just feel especially pissed off about having to live in such a crime-ridden country.

ETA: I just listened to our president's latest national address, and am overcome with gratitude at his recognition of the concerns I was just bitching about above. It'd be remiss of me not to mention this, because it truly did move me 😭 No president before has been this outspoken against gender-based violence, not even Mandela.
I never thought that I would here the word "blissful" in connection with a COVID-19 lockdown. However, now that I've heard it, yes I found the lockdown in New Zealand had it's blissful moments. Thinking about all the lives saved by our lockdown brings me a feeling of bliss.

AuntHen

Chicken Whisperer 🐔
DM Supporter
It was more yesterday but am still thinking about it...
Some douche in the comments on a Cars song tried to trash Ben Orr. Saying all kinds of stupid shit. No sir! You do not trash Ben Orr!!

Then another douche in a music article about the Cars lead guitarist, Elliott Easton, tried to basically say Orr was just a pretty boy crooner and could've been that in ANY band!!!! If this idiot had done his research he would've known Orr could play just about any instrument, sang AND played in bands for years before the Cars and his voice was upstanding. He sounded new wave before new wave was even a thing. Frickin idiot! 🤬

Last edited:
Reactions: Tad

MattB

Canucklehead
DM Supporter
Moving house the 1st week of February. I didn't unpack a lot of books and things from the last move two years ago, so that's a plus, but it's still a pain.

The fact that I'm closing in on 3 years and my divorce is still ongoing!
Sorry to hear this. I can offer this. My dad’s current wife dragged everything out and still is. But we all now know the date his divorce will be complete having reached the 5 year time lapse period (21 June 2021) and because now it will be an occasion I think there will be a party. I love parties, the food and the music, the drinks and the dancing!! Perhaps when yours is finalised you can have a party too. :)

LeoGibson

Happy
Sorry to hear this. I can offer this. My dad’s current wife dragged everything out and still is. But we all now know the date his divorce will be complete having reached the 5 year time lapse period (21 June 2021) and because now it will be an occasion I think there will be a party. I love parties, the food and the music, the drinks and the dancing!! Perhaps when yours is finalised you can have a party too. :)
5 years! Ouch. I feel for him. He will deserve a party of epic proportions!!

I sure hope mine gets resolved this year. Between my ex and Covid this has already dragged on much longer than I ever envisioned!

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
The fact that I'm closing in on 3 years and my divorce is still ongoing!
Divorce is a nightmare, for one reason or another. Fingers crossed that you don't have much longer, @LeoGibson. Mine took a little over two years (much to the delight of the solicitors), but when it was finally granted I bought myself a pretty piece of jewelry.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I'm pissed off with my alcoholic neighbour keeping the rest of the neighbourhood up all night most nights with his never-ending piss ups. He gets pissed up; I get pissed off.

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
I'm pissed off with my alcoholic neighbour keeping the rest of the neighbourhood up all night most nights with his never-ending piss ups. He gets pissed up; I get pissed off.
It takes a lot to get me to pissed off mode, but this would do it. Council? I've a neighbour that has a modified exhaust that he has a love of repeatedly revving just after midnight. Drives me spare! I popped an anonymous letter into his box that nudged him about local noise regs and that he'd be reported to the police/fined if he kept it up. It actually seems to have worked....touch wood.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
What is it with these people? A motorcyclist who lived down the alley from me would spend fifteen minutes revving up every day at 6 a.m. I finally invested in a pair of wax earplugs, and they worked a treat! Not only did they block out his noise, but two weeks later he moved.

Shotha

DM Supporter
It takes a lot to get me to pissed off mode, but this would do it. Council? I've a neighbour that has a modified exhaust that he has a love of repeatedly revving just after midnight. Drives me spare! I popped an anonymous letter into his box that nudged him about local noise regs and that he'd be reported to the police/fined if he kept it up. It actually seems to have worked....touch wood.
I'm thinking of getting some leaflets from Alcoholics Anonymous and putting them in his letter box at the rate of maybe one a week. The other neighbours and I are exhausted all the time. I've had to drop out of all of my voluntary work. I'm better off than some of my neighbours, who have to keep taking days off paid work.

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
I'm thinking of getting some leaflets from Alcoholics Anonymous and putting them in his letter box at the rate of maybe one a week. The other neighbours and I are exhausted all the time. I've had to drop out of all of my voluntary work. I'm better off than some of my neighbours, who have to keep taking days off paid work.
It's worth a shot, @Shotha. It doesn't sound like it's something that can be handled personally and would possibly fall on deaf ears. My letter was a last resort, as they're not exactly the approachable kind of neighbours.

Shotha

DM Supporter
It's worth a shot, @Shotha. It doesn't sound like it's something that can be handled personally and would possibly fall on deaf ears. My letter was a last resort, as they're not exactly the approachable kind of neighbours.
It's something that I can do without losing my temper, which will do no good and just make me feel bad about it. I used to be a volunteer for Drug Arm and so I would rather be finding him some help than getting angry about it. I like to see win-win outcomes.

SSBHM

automated attendant phone systems with robo operators that have no customer satisfaction or performance metric feedback ---

I called an entity in one state to ask a question about something. I got transferred 6 times and ultimately to a different division of the company than I had any business with. This process was fully automated and took an hour of my time. I still did not get my question answered, so I sent an email. I just received a response 24 hours later telling me that someone will need to call me back to provide the answer, but to please give then 5 to 7 business days to do so.

Latest posts