Where did my fellow American members go to college/grad school? What about your SO?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
AA Liberal Arts Pensacola State
AAS Air and Space Technology + AAS Instructor of Technology and Military Science CCAF
BS Liberal Arts (psych/business admin minor)
MA Psychology APUS

Considering an additional MS in Data Science or cybersecurity soon. PhD? Possibly with the right opportunity.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Just curious if talking about where you went to college is common in the US?

It comes up in conversation here occasionally, usually when explaining why you know the bars in Halifax or something, but in my experience people don't talk about it a lot. But I have friends who had moved to the Boston area and when neighbours invited them to a 'welcome to the street' party one of the first things the hostess suggested was "Let's go around the room and everyone give your name and what college you went to."* I've always wondered if she was just odd (or possibly very proud of what college she'd been at), or if that is more common south of the Great Lakes/49th?
*It happened that my friends had both gone to McGill, which their new neighbours recognized as a good school. Whether that is part of why they were so warmly embraced by their neighbours they have never been sure.

Shh! Don’t tell!

Just curious if talking about where you went to college is common in the US?

It comes up in conversation here occasionally, usually when explaining why you know the bars in Halifax or something, but in my experience people don't talk about it a lot. But I have friends who had moved to the Boston area and when neighbours invited them to a 'welcome to the street' party one of the first things the hostess suggested was "Let's go around the room and everyone give your name and what college you went to."* I've always wondered if she was just odd (or possibly very proud of what college she'd been at), or if that is more common south of the Great Lakes/49th?
*It happened that my friends had both gone to McGill, which their new neighbours recognized as a good school. Whether that is part of why they were so warmly embraced by their neighbours they have never been sure.
It comes up when meeting new people for me, but maybe that’s because I graduated recently. Going around the room and saying where you went seems odd to me, though.

Latest posts