2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

GTAFA

Well, that was an interesting first day of the playoffs--especially for a Sens fan who still has a soft spot for the Coyotes due to having formerly been a Jets fan :p

The funny thing is that of the four games, the only result that technically ISN'T an upset? Red Wings (#5 seed) losing to the #4 seed Coyotes is not an upset.... weird.

The other three are upsets fersure...
#2 Devils beaten by #7 Flyers
#1 Sharks beaten by #8 Colorado
#4 Penguins--defending champs-- beaten by #5 Senators
Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
True 'dat! That is the playoff's for you....although I've noticed that in recent years home ice has not seemed to matter as much in the first four games.....I think teams have gotten better at planning how to deal with not having the last change, or something.

Although all three of the technical upsets were not totally surprising: Devils and San Jose have both struggled in the play-offs in recent years, and in particular Phillie has had some good success against the Devils in modern times. Also the Pens have not been having all that great a season, and the reasons they have struggled were also their weaknesses last night: mediocre goal tending and difficulty all getting going at the same time.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Disaster! Michalek out for four months. Unlike Kovalev (and Kuba, for that matter...) I'm not so cool with this one.:doh:

Come on 3rd line! Keep scoring! :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Disaster! Michalek out for four months. Unlike Kovalev (and Kuba, for that matter...) I'm not so cool with this one.:doh:

What? ACK!!!!!!!!!

It is not impossible for them to pull off an upset yet, but that sure just reduced the odds :(

They did put Cheechoo on re-entry waivers....I wonder if he'll make it, and if he'll have pulled it together at all during his couple of months with the B-Sens?

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
What? ACK!!!!!!!!!

It is not impossible for them to pull off an upset yet, but that sure just reduced the odds :(

They did put Cheechoo on re-entry waivers....I wonder if he'll make it, and if he'll have pulled it together at all during his couple of months with the B-Sens?

Cheechoo had 14 points in 25 games with the B-Sens...not exactly tearing it up. Still, he's a character guy and wouldn't hurt the room if they brought him back.

CurbFan

Cheechoo had 14 points in 25 games with the B-Sens...not exactly tearing it up. Still, he's a character guy and wouldn't hurt the room if they brought him back.

WTF happened to Jonathan Cheechoo... he used to be so dirty! He scored 50 plus goals... I guess having the best assist man in the NHL on your line helps the cause...

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
WTF happened to Jonathan Cheechoo... he used to be so dirty! He scored 50 plus goals... I guess having the best assist man in the NHL on your line helps the cause...

Too many injuries, he is so slow now. He can't get to the net like he used to. He was a popular guy here this year, but he'll never see another 50 goal season again. It's too bad.

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
Lord Stanley's Funnel!
2j4rhwp.jpg

6fa3ia.jpg

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Forget that being a jinx...has anyone else seen Patrick Kane is growing a playoff mullet? The 'Hawks are good, but the '87 Oilers they ain't...

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
business in the front, party in the back

We used to call it "Hockey Hair", since wearing a hockey helmet usually flattened the top while leaving the party end flowing and free...usually...

JMCGB

Come on 3rd line! Keep scoring! :)

That is a devastating loss for the Sens but I still see you all giving the Pens fits. Where was this passion and hunger from previous years?

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
That is a devastating loss for the Sens but I still see you all giving the Pens fits. Where was this passion and hunger from previous years?

Different team now for the most part. There's not as much talent (scoring) as there used to be, so every line has to bring it. If you look at the players that have been shown the door over the last few years it rarely has been about declining ability as much as lack of character. (Redden being the obvious one for declining ability...)

Brian Murray really gets his share of bouquets and bats from the fans here, we can second guess moves like anyone else, but overall I like what he's done. The window of the last decade is gone, but a new one is coming soon...

BTW- That hit last night by Sutton was absolutely insane! Leopold was out before he hit the ice...

GTAFA

I think the big thing so far was the pathetic goal-keeping of Fleury in game one, when he kept handing the Sens free goals. Without those goals i think the penguins would have won the first game. It will be interesting to see if Ottawa has any kind of home-ice thing going. Much as I (always, fondly, desperately) hope to see a Canadian team advance and possibly win the Cup, I don't see Ottawa doing it this time. I won't be surprised if the Penguins assert themselves and win the rest of the games in the series.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Turning point of the Sens-Pens series?

2nd game, 3rd period, the puck is past Fleury, an inch or so from the goal line, moving still with fair speed....and out of nowhere Sidney Crosby appears and knocks it away. Up until that moment Crosby was looking like just another good player, but that seemed to wake him all the way up, and since then he's used his superior individual skill to make a real difference. The winning goal in game two was all due to him, game three probably would have gone the Pens way anyway but one of the goals was again due to Crosby putting on a clinic in puck control.

This is were we'd hoped Kovalev would pay back all the frustrations of the main season, and show some of that same sort of mastery to produce a couple key goals. It also hurts to lose the other two that are injured, but it was Kovalev who brought something to the table that nobody else on the Sens has, that sort of skill that can occasionally just break a game. Not that he's in Crosby's league as an overall player, but when he's on he can be amazing.

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
Lord Stanley, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy playoffs come, thy games be won, on the road as it is in Buffalo. Bless us with many goals, as we forgive those few who score against us. And lead us not into overtime, but deliver us victory in regulation. For your cup, your power and glory will be ours, Forever. In the name of Ryan Miller, Tim Connolly, and The Holy Ruff.
Amen.

Reactions: Tad

KHayes666

Go away
Lord Stanley, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy playoffs come, thy games be won, on the road as it is in Buffalo. Bless us with many goals, as we forgive those few who score against us. And lead us not into overtime, but deliver us victory in regulation. For your cup, your power and glory will be ours, Forever. In the name of Ryan Miller, Tim Connolly, and The Holy Ruff.
Amen.

Zdeno Chara and Vladimir Sobotka stand back to back and say in unison:

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et Filii

*Chara and Sobotka load up a shot*

Et Spiritus Sancti.

*both fire slapshots past Miller into the Buffalo net*

GTAFA

Speaking of religion, i watched the personnel filing off for the intermission before the overtime and i saw SATAN. And i thought, hm, he plays for the Bruins? maybe HE will be the one to score.

And he did (about a minute ago). Wow...! It was like a psychic moment.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Speaking of religion, i watched the personnel filing off for the intermission before the overtime and i saw SATAN. And i thought, hm, he plays for the Bruins? maybe HE will be the one to score.

And he did (about a minute ago). Wow...! It was like a psychic moment.

Tomorrow's headline...

"BRUINS FANS HAIL SATAN!"

Latest posts