Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
PLAYOFFS ARE COMING!!!! :D

Any predictions?? I should really stop making them after my awful Calgary pick at the start of the season...so I will!

The real issue is if I pick my Sens to win the Cup, will I jinx them? They have a good dark horse feel to them, streaky as all hell they are. Could Phoenix come out of the West less than a year after they should've moved to Hamilton? Can I conceal my excitement over the Leafs not making the playoffs...AGAIN? (The answer to that one, is "no"...)

Ah, the Leafs....my condolences to their unfortunate faithful, I'm sorry your blind loyalty has been rewarded with such a repeatedly horrible organization.

As for playoff predictions, we mostly know who will be in the play-offs, but a lot of the seeding is still up for grabs, so it is hard to say much specific yet.

- I will say that it looks like Pheonix and Detroit will face off in the first round out west, and that should be a doozy of a series--I'd like both of them to go deep, but one is going to have to go home.
- I'm unfortunately not convinced of Vancouver's potential, I'd love them to do well but I doubt I'd pick them to go too far in a play off pool.

- Ottawa is almost surely going to finish the season with a negative goals differential, which is crazy for a fifth place team! I also think that they'll need to finally get some regular aid from their power play to have much hope of advancing, and missing Kuba will hurt--not that he is so great, just that he's a lot more consistent than the alternatives.

- Jersey has not had much playoff success recently. This year I think will be either/or.....they go out in the first round or else make it to the conference finals.

- Buffalo looks like they might have injury problems, again, but if they can stay reasonably healthy I think they might make a lot of noise. Just an all around good team that really plays together, combined with very good coaching.

GTAFA

Ah, the Leafs....my condolences to their unfortunate faithful, I'm sorry your blind loyalty has been rewarded with such a repeatedly horrible organization.

As for playoff predictions, we mostly know who will be in the play-offs, but a lot of the seeding is still up for grabs, so it is hard to say much specific yet.

- I will say that it looks like Pheonix and Detroit will face off in the first round out west, and that should be a doozy of a series--I'd like both of them to go deep, but one is going to have to go home.
- I'm unfortunately not convinced of Vancouver's potential, I'd love them to do well but I doubt I'd pick them to go too far in a play off pool.

- Ottawa is almost surely going to finish the season with a negative goals differential, which is crazy for a fifth place team! I also think that they'll need to finally get some regular aid from their power play to have much hope of advancing, and missing Kuba will hurt--not that he is so great, just that he's a lot more consistent than the alternatives.

- Jersey has not had much playoff success recently. This year I think will be either/or.....they go out in the first round or else make it to the conference finals.

- Buffalo looks like they might have injury problems, again, but if they can stay reasonably healthy I think they might make a lot of noise. Just an all around good team that really plays together, combined with very good coaching.

Concerning the Leafs, this is the first time since the early 90s that i have had any hope for the organization. For once i really am eager to see what they can do: but it's gonna be next year of course.

Speaking of faith, this is one year when i don't know who to believe in.
  • Ottawa & Jersey both have shown great inconsistency. I was saddened by Brodeur's play in the Olympics, not because he hurt his team (Canada did okay) so much as the signals that a great career is clearly drawing to a close. Brodeur looked slow against the Americans, and i suspect his age is catching up with him. Without his usual brilliance in net the Devils can't go very deep. Ottawa? same question. Which team is going to show up?
  • Pittsburgh? i hope they can bring it up a notch, trying to defend their trophy. But the team i am most eager to see is the Capitals, who came within a whisker last year of going to the final. Ovechkin is a pleasure to watch. Can they keep the puck OUT of their own net? without first-rate goal-keeping they may bow out after their impressive season.
  • Chicago? God i love watching those kids, all that energy. Don't be surprised if they make it to the final.
  • Vancouver? sigh,... while i'd love to see a Canadian team in there, it's such a long haul. Who knows if they can manage it? I suspect though, that Luongo has been bolstered by the olympic win, and coupled with the chemistry in his home arena (site of that gold medal) could go the distance to the Cup.
...and there are so many other teams of course. Red Wings? ha... we'll see. If they get past the first round, look out.

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
idgaf if I'm working and training my crew, if it's a fuckin' game day I'm wearin' my damn jersey

BlackKnight1239

Playoffs you say? As an Oilers fan, I have seen these so called "playoffs". Could someone please explain? :p

MisticalMisty

Mike Modano made me cry like a baby last night. It was a great game..sucks that it didn't count for anything but a W...but a great game none-the-less.

GTAFA

Mike Modano made me cry like a baby last night. It was a great game..sucks that it didn't count for anything but a W...but a great game none-the-less.

Modano has been a warrior, astonishing for his durability and production over two decades. The story of last night's game is a storybook finish if this is his final game, and would be a nice way to say goodbye.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
So Kovalev goes down for the season with a torn ACL, right before the playoffs...and somehow it's not bothering me. I'm not even one of those Kovalev haters that a lot of people are. I just can't seem to get upset about it, even though we need his scoring...Strange...

On another strange note...I'm actually hoping that the Blue Team wins tonight. Anything that could possibly lead to Montreal out of the playoffs is okay by me...I just won't be watching the game is all...

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
#3 BUFFALO SABRES v #6 BOSTON BRUINS

Thursday, April 15 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC
Saturday, April 17 at Buffalo, 1:00 p.m. NBC, CBC
Monday, April 19 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC
Wednesday, April 21 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC
*Friday, April 23 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC
*Monday, April 26 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. CBC
*Wednesday, April 28 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC

*won't be necessary after we break out the brooms!

Oh this is gonna be nice!

idgaf if I'm working and training my crew, if it's a fuckin' game day I'm wearin' my damn jersey

Come back home for Parties in the Plaza!

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Go Buffalo! (They almost count as a Canadian team, and could well be as close as we'll get by round two.....)

Matt--I'm less sanguine about missing Kovalev. He was really signed for the playoffs. When the Sens have been winning this year it has been about good team effort and team defence to a large extent....something that almost everyone improves on in the play-offs (at least any team that is going to go far). I don't think they can count on much of an edge there. Having that talented players who can occasionally turn routine situations into goals, that can be a difference maker.

Having said that, I didn't think much of the Sens chances anyway. I wish Pittsburgh had put it together at the end and taken first in the Atlantic, I'd rather take our chances with the Devils. Ah well, I hope we see at least three home games *fingers crossed*

And oh, Montreal, all you had to do was get a couple of points in your last few games and you would have avoided playing Washington. For that matter you should be thanking the Rangers for stumbling, they could easily have taken your spot. Washington is far from unbeatable, but a three game losing streak is hardly a promising launch pad for taking on the highest ranked team in the league.

Out west, the big question is: San Jose, will you finally make like Jaws, or are you mere bait yet again?

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Yeah, I would've taken playing Jersey over Pittsburgh any day, but what can you do?

I think I've figured out why I'm so "meh" about Kovalev. Although the Sens have a decent team this year, and rebounded nicely after last year's disaster, I think I'm just excited for the future with Karlsson, Cowan, and Wiercioch coming soon. They could surprise some people this year, but I think it's more realistic to look towards the next 2-3 years for a return to full contention for the Sens...

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ

Woooot. I WISH I COULD DEAR. You have nooooo idea.

KHayes666

Go away

If you think the Sabres are going to sweep the number 2 defense in the NHL, you got another thing coming. Especially against Tukka Rask who's won 4 out of the 5 games he goalied against the Sabres.

Who wins this series depends on if the Bruins can score (worst ranked offense in the NHL) or if the Sabres can crack the Bruin defense (4th ranked offense) but there's definitely not going to be a sweep.

If Savard wasn't hurt I'd pick the Bruins to be the favorites actually.

JMCGB

Does anyone else feel like it's xmas morning when you were a kid? Been waiting for these playoffs since last year. Of course the NHL has to showcase the Crybaby but what's new. I would give anything for the Sens to hand them their golf clubs. :D

GTAFA

Does anyone else feel like it's xmas morning when you were a kid? Been waiting for these playoffs since last year. Of course the NHL has to showcase the Crybaby but what's new. I would give anything for the Sens to hand them their golf clubs. :D

I hope i get to see a rematch of Penguins-Capitals. Last year's series was one of the best i have ever seen, and was whisker-close. When I look at the Capitals I think they are just like that --kids on Xmas morning-- waiting to put a lot of pucks in the net. The weird thing in the NHL is that next year rarely comes, because it is so g-d-m hard to repeat after such a long season. Depending on which Ottawa team shows up (they were pretty awesome early on) I won't be surprised if Crosby is out after the first round.

All year the Penguins have been taking everybody's best shots to the head & body, while --in comparison at least-- the Caps have been under the radar. Now you may say "how can anybody finish first and be under the radar?" But the point is, first you have to win the Cup, and play the next season, when everybody --even the very worst team-- stands a bit taller and plays a bit harder, so they can say "we may suck but at least we beat the champs". Ovechkin will never be a crybaby, but still, he would attract a whole new level of violence and cheapshots if he becomes last year's Conn Smythe winner, last year's champ that everyone wants to beat.

There are so many teams that perform brilliantly in the regular season and fade away at playoff time. Ottawa had some amazing years, then were blindsided in the playoffs. Sharks? i don't hear anybody talking about them because there have been so many disappointments. And Buffalo --a city jinxed in multiple sports-- wants to find redemption in victory. And Vancouver are struggling to get out of the wilderness as well.

Will the Red Wings squelch all those hopes? Will the Capitals finally break thru? Tune in tomorrow...and the next night. And the next...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
This reminds me, must try hooking up the bunny-ears to the TV--I hear CBC broadcasts a channel in high-definition these days. Hi-def hockey playoffs without giving extra money to Bell or Rogers? Yes please! Now to make it work.....

Bearsy

Genuinely Disingenuous
If you think the Sabres are going to sweep the number 2 defense in the NHL, you got another thing coming. Especially against Tukka Rask who's won 4 out of the 5 games he goalied against the Sabres.

Who wins this series depends on if the Bruins can score (worst ranked offense in the NHL) or if the Sabres can crack the Bruin defense (4th ranked offense) but there's definitely not going to be a sweep.

If Savard wasn't hurt I'd pick the Bruins to be the favorites actually.

I can dream :p

I say Sabres in 6

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Well, that was an interesting first day of the playoffs--especially for a Sens fan who still has a soft spot for the Coyotes due to having formerly been a Jets fan :p

Good luck to the Buffalonians tonight!

Latest posts