Any baseball fans here?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm intrigued with the Angels 11-game losing streak.

Also, I can't stand their "City Connect" uniforms.

Angels.jpg

I'm intrigued with the Angels 11-game losing streak.

Also, I can't stand their "City Connect" uniforms.

View attachment 150100
I didn't know they had new/alternative unis, but I kind of like it. However, it's kind of weird in that it's done in a style they never had in the past, nor does it represent any era in Angels' history. Looks kind of cool and 50s retro, but it is a bit odd and confusing.

Although, I will agree that I do dislike it when teams start playing around with their logos and fonts, and whatnot. It always comes off looking like an identity crisis. Sort of what the Blue Jays went through with their uniforms from the late 90s on through the early 2010s. They went through several logo changes - some of them absolutely horrid - before they went back to the old, original-style Blue Jays logo. Although, the new one is slightly massaged, cleaned up and modernized, but to the untrained eye, and at first glance, it looks identical to the old one. I actually like the newest one the most.

waldo

I didn't know they had new/alternative unis, but I kind of like it. However, it's kind of weird in that it's done in a style they never had in the past, nor does it represent any era in Angels' history. Looks kind of cool and 50s retro, but it is a bit odd and confusing.

Although, I will agree that I do dislike it when teams start playing around with their logos and fonts, and whatnot. It always comes off looking like an identity crisis. Sort of what the Blue Jays went through with their uniforms from the late 90s on through the early 2010s. They went through several logo changes - some of them absolutely horrid - before they went back to the old, original-style Blue Jays logo. Although, the new one is slightly massaged, cleaned up and modernized, but to the untrained eye, and at first glance, it looks identical to the old one. I actually like the newest one the most.

The new uniforms are called 'city connect', and they are supposed to portray some aspect of the city in which the team is located. So for the Angels, the off-white color is supposed to represent the color of the sand on Southern California beaches. When the Jays release theirs, expect the CN tower to make an appearance!

And I agree that the Jays' logos/uniforms between 2003-2011 were garbage! The modern variation on the original logo is spot on!!

What's another 100+ year wait? :D
Crazy thing is: the Red Sox in 2018 won the World Series and apparently are the least recent to get to the league championship series (Bruins ion 2019, Celtics this year and Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2019). So much for the curse of the Bambino.

Last edited:

MattB

Caffeinated
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm very pleased the Jays went back to their classic look. I couldn't stand the changes either.

Here's the lowdown on the Angels City Connect unis...
20220611_100854.jpg

For what it's worth, the only City uniform I thought looked nice, so far, is Kansas City...

20220611_100833.jpg

The new uniforms are called 'city connect', and they are supposed to portray some aspect of the city in which the team is located. So for the Angels, the off-white color is supposed to represent the color of the sand on Southern California beaches. When the Jays release theirs, expect the CN tower to make an appearance!

And I agree that the Jays' logos/uniforms between 2003-2011 were garbage! The modern variation on the original logo is spot on!!
Oh, I see. I wasn't aware there was that kind of thing going on for each city and team this year. I don't know how I managed to not hear about it. I actually think that's kind of neat though. How often are they intended to be worn? As for the Toronto Blue Jays' uniforms, maybe they'll put a 12-inch CN Tower sticking out from the top of the batter's helmet? Might make for some interesting headfirst slide attempts! ;) Being Toronto though, they'll have to add a s*** hawk (seagull) and raccoon theme to their design too. 🤣

I'm very pleased the Jays went back to their classic look. I couldn't stand the changes either.
Yeah, that was a crappy era on most accounts, and the uniform changes certainly didn't help things. However, that 2003 "Texas" Blue Jays version was utterly hideous. Thank goodness it only lasted one season. I actually didn't hate the 2004-'11 version, but it just wasn't right. I still have a black T-shirt with that logo on the front from back then though. lol

But they really nailed the 2012-present version. I think all variations of it look good, as the bird was really nicely massaged and modernized. Honestly, I'd probably say most fans resonate with the new variation even more than the original 1977-'96 version, despite the history of those years and the back-to-back World Series wins in '92 and '93. I think most Jays fans still have a strong feeling of nostalgia for those years and that logo, but I think people really love the new one. Honestly, and this isn't just me saying this because I'm a Jays fan, but I think it's probably the best updated version of a sports team logo there is, and that certainly seems to reflect in how much the fans love it. They did a really great job with it.

Here's the lowdown on the Angels City Connect unis...
View attachment 150169
Neat. Despite the mish-mash of design inspirations, and as an overall "look", I actually think it comes together looking not too bad at all. However, I'm slightly perplexed as to why they changed the shape of the diamond around the number. The original almost has a "home plate" look to it and preserving it would have been a better nod toward the original. Maybe there were copyright issues? I can see how some people might not like that uni's design, but it's far from the worst thing IMO.

For what it's worth, the only City uniform I thought looked nice, so far, is Kansas City...

View attachment 150170
That's a clean design with a nice colour combination. Although, I'm not sure the navy blue fits the royal and baby blue colour of their team's history, but it's kind of simple and classy looking. I'd like to know more about the design decision behind the cascading 'K' in 'KC'. Overall, I like it. 👍

waldo

Any Orioles fans here that may have some more insight into this? I know in sports "anything can happen", but this seems totally unlikely that the O's would leave Baltimore.

View attachment 150207View attachment 150208
I have not seen anything about the Orioles possibly relocating although I would not be surprised if it were being contemplated. Although they have a nice stadium, it is 30 years old now and is located in downtown Baltimore, which is a crime ridden cesspool, not unlike the south side of Chicago where the White Sox stadium is located. Their average attendance over the past 5 seasons (shortened 2020 season excluded) is 1.1 M and 4th worst in baseball only ahead of the Rays, A's and fore-mentioned White Sox.