Any baseball fans here?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

The Jays held down the Yankees for a shutout tonight in their first game against them for the year. It's always a good day when you shut down the Yankees in Yankee Stadium. Our young starter, Alek Manoah, got the win and went 6 innings with 7 strikeouts, while only allowing 1 hit (he allowed 4 walks though), and our hometown closer Jordan Romano got another save (his 3rd of the year). There was even a decent amount of Jays fans in the stands, which always pisses off Yankee fans something awful. lol Sweet! 😁

I'll be looking forward to seeing our new acquisition and 5th starter, Yusei Kikuchi make his first start of the year. There has been talk about his velocity being down to start the year (he usually hits 97-98 on his fastball), so it'll be interesting to see how he does on the radar gun, and if the Yankees will benefit from that at all. I'm just interested to see how he develops throughout the year.

Go Jays Go!

waldo

Hi my man,
your year was 2016. It was magic........ As a central Indiana resident I will tell you: we have boatloads of Cubs fans. The buzz after the 2016 WS was so palpable. I remember going to my local Lowes store and older people were all on about the Cubs. It was really special. So happy for you all. My son was born in MA in 2000 and decided about 2009 he was a dyed in the wool Red Sox fan. Of course they had already won 2 WS in 2004 and 2007, but his disappointment at the end of the 2011 season (when the Red Sox had one of the worst Sept meltdowns ever) was something I will never forget. Then there was 2013. They were behind and about to go down 2-0 in the Divisional Series, then Papi goes yard and turns the whole thing around. I literally had just finished trying to console him and remind him there is 'always next year'. This is why baseball is special!

Last edited:

waldo

The Jays held down the Yankees for a shutout tonight in their first game against them for the year. It's always a good day when you shut down the Yankees in Yankee Stadium. Our young starter, Alek Manoah, got the win and went 6 innings with 7 strikeouts, while only allowing 1 hit (he allowed 4 walks though), and our hometown closer Jordan Romano got another save (his 3rd of the year). There was even a decent amount of Jays fans in the stands, which always pisses off Yankee fans something awful. lol Sweet! 😁

I'll be looking forward to seeing our new acquisition and 5th starter, Yusei Kikuchi make his first start of the year. There has been talk about his velocity being down to start the year (he usually hits 97-98 on his fastball), so it'll be interesting to see how he does on the radar gun, and if the Yankees will benefit from that at all. I'm just interested to see how he develops throughout the year.

Go Jays Go!
Manoah could be the second coming of Dave Stieb. And Romano - of course he is the next coming of Tom Henke (or is it Eric Gagne 🤔). Either way, he is filth, and if he stays in one piece, should be a pleasure to watch for some time. At some point, he may need to mix in another pitch to get them off the 4SFB/SL game. Probably a high velocity cutter would be the trick - helped Rivera get to the HoF......

Manoah could be the second coming of Dave Stieb. And Romano - of course he is the next coming of Tom Henke (or is it Eric Gagne 🤔). Either way, he is filth, and if he stays in one piece, should be a pleasure to watch for some time. At some point, he may need to mix in another pitch to get them off the 4SFB/SL game. Probably a high velocity cutter would be the trick - helped Rivera get to the HoF......
Those are some mighty big shoes to fill! Us Jays fans can only hope they can be as good as Stieb and Henke. I'd take that! They're both early into their careers, so one can only hope they continue on the path they're already on. What I love about Manoah is his confidence. It's off the charts. He doesn't get rattled at all, and already in his young career he has been a stabilizing force in our rotation. He's the type of pitcher that seems to get us a win after a two or three game mini slump. Just like Roy Halladay used to do. Not only that, he's a Yankees killer - not only at home, but pitching in New York too - which goes to show just how mature and confidant he is on the mound. Regardless, it's fun to watch and it'll be interesting to see how he adjusts once the league adjusts to him.

And well, I'd like to see Romano develop a changeup: a pitch that looks like his fastball, but the bottom drops out of it. His fastball is one of the better ones in the game and averages 97-98 mph with good movement. I think a changeup would be a good decoy for his fastball, as well as being another off-speed pitch for hitters to think about. As for a cutter, well, I don't think anyone can throw a cutter as good as Rivera did. lol It was so good it was pretty much the only pitch he threw. Roughly 9 out of 10 pitches Rivera threw was his cutter. Again, those are some pretty big shoes to fill, but you never know. Romano has good movement with his 4-seam fastball (which is somewhat odd), so who knows what he could do with a cutter. I think he has the arm action to have a good one, but it's all about the grip.

Well, just as we shutout the Yankees on Monday night, the Yankees shut us down last night for a 4-0 win. lol

Yusei Kikuchi was pretty spotty with his command. It looked like he was trying to nibble on the outside edge of the plate, but he just couldn't command his pitches last night. However, it didn't help that the umpire's strike zone was shifted a few inches to the right, as well as a few inches downward, so strikes on the outer edge of the plate against right-handers were being called as balls, and the same thing for the upper part of the strike zone as well, which didn't help Kikiuchi's effort. He only lasted 3 2/3 innings, but he at least kept us within striking distance. Sadly, a couple of defensive bobbles in the 4th got his pitch count up and he got pulled with only one out left in the inning.

But the Jays' bats just couldn't get it going against Nestor Cortes. He did a good job of keeping our hitters off-balance and guessing at the plate. I thought as soon as the Jays got a pitching change the bats would come alive, but they just didn't have it last night.

Oh well, onward and upward. I'll be looking forward to a bounce back performance from José Berríos tonight.

Go Jays Go!!!

Last edited:
This is my 4,192nd post at Dims, and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame.

Damn right he should be. They gave the ENTIRE Astros team a free pass for cheating in the World Series and the regular season prior to it, yet Pete Rose gets banned for life??? Players who juiced (and therefor cheated) have also gotten into the Hall of Fame. Where's the consistency in the MLB's standards? Pete Rose has paid his debt to baseball. More than any other in Major League history. Enough is enough. He needs to be in the Hall of Fame where he belongs.

waldo

Damn right he should be. They gave the ENTIRE Astros team a free pass for cheating in the World Series and the regular season prior to it, yet Pete Rose gets banned for life??? Players who juiced (and therefor cheated) have also gotten into the Hall of Fame. Where's the consistency in the MLB's standards? Pete Rose has paid his debt to baseball. More than any other in Major League history. Enough is enough. He needs to be in the Hall of Fame where he belongs.
I saw it speculated that Rose will be inducted after he dies. Supposedly, they want to deny him the satisfaction of being there to see it for himself. Other organizations are equally petty and harsh on those who do not toe the line..............

Speaking of Pete Rose, the Reds....
I dont think anyone expected them to be GOOD but I thought 4th place and like 75 wins was achievable. Starting 3-22 is wild.
Yikes. 😬 After The Bengals' loss at the Super Bowl I was hoping the Reds would at least give them something to cheer about, but man, that's brutal. That town needs some good sports. I remember the Reds' World Series sweep against Oakland in 1990 quite vividly. I hope Cincinnati can have a World Series again some day. It's been too long since then and the days of the Big Red Machine in the 70s.

Joker

Yikes. 😬 After The Bengals' loss at the Super Bowl I was hoping the Reds would at least give them something to cheer about, but man, that's brutal. That town needs some good sports. I remember the Reds' World Series sweep against Oakland in 1990 quite vividly. I hope Cincinnati can have a World Series again some day. It's been too long since then and the days of the Big Red Machine in the 70s.
Looks like my Cubs and them will be fighting for the bottom spot. :)