Any Other BHM's trying to lose weight?

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by michiganbhm, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Nov 22, 2014 #341

Cookie

Cookie

Cookie

I wish you the best of luck! And anyone else here trying to lose weight! Health must always come before anything else when you're big, even if it's damn sexy.

2. Nov 22, 2014 #342

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy

I've already lost a lot of weight so I"m not new to weight loss. At my highest I was over 800 pounds, but I ended up getting down to 440 before I fell into depression. Now it's time ot get back on the wagon and continue with the weight loss goal.

Thanks.

3. Nov 22, 2014 #343

Cookie

Cookie

Cookie

You've lost 400 lbs ish in the past? That's incredible, sounds like you'll definitely reach your goal in time. And sorry to hear about your depression, I really hope it clears.

4. Nov 22, 2014 #344

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

I wish everyone who is trying to loose weight (or just stay healthy) the best. However, I like to consider myself a realist and I've always been of the opinion that facts, no matter how inconvenient, must be considered. And, perhaps more importantly, facts must be considered in context.

Its possible to be technically correct, but in a more practical sense, be dreadfully wrong at the same time. There is no doubt that if a person restricts his or her calorie intake enough weight loss will result. That this is true cannot be disputed. It follows that in a narrow technical sense diets work.

However, the experience of millions of people over many many years has shown that (at least in modern North America) its almost impossible for the vast majority of people to maintain long-term (5 years +) weight loss by dieting. There are multiple reasons why this is so. Prior posts have identified some and there are many more (things as disparate as lake of sleep and the walkability of neighborhoods play a part). The bottom line is that a person who seeks to loose weight would be well advised to not rely upon simple calorie restriction.

5. Nov 22, 2014 #345

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

I've found that the simple act of walking is one of the best ways to stay healthy. Unfortunately for many people its not so easy to go for an enjoyable walk. I recently moved to the Northern California Coast from Fresno. Fresno was a very unpleasant place to live -- ungodly hot, terrible air quality, and just all-round depressing. Such conditions make staying inside in your air-conditioned living room watching TV seem like the most sensible thing to do. By comparison the Redwood Coast has an environment that draws people outside. I just got back from a two hour walk along beautiful coastal trails. Being outside for two hours in Fresno would have been torture. Its only been three months but I feel healthier. I don't know if I've lost any weight (I don't own a scale) but my pants are looser and I'm going to have to punch a new hole in my belt.

6. Nov 24, 2014 #346

Jah

Jah

Jah

Veggie girl

https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
    I've maintained a 10-15% weightloss for about a year now. Although I'd also done it for a few years before that. I spend very little time at my highest weight of 300lbs. Every time I end up there I usually start losing weight again straight away. I've had the most success with a mixture of calorie counting and exercise. At the moment I'm really trying to find an exercise that I enjoy so I can create an exercise habit rather than exercising on and off like I usually do. Any low intensity exercise ideas are welcome.

7. Nov 25, 2014 #347

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I really want to rep this post, but I'm all out. :(

8. Nov 25, 2014 #348

Jah

Jah

Jah

Veggie girl

https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
    It would be good if there was a section of the board for weight loss like there is for weight gain. There would be rules of course so things don't go against size acceptance. The good thing about there being a weight loss section would be that it could be discussed in a way that is good to size acceptance. That is one thing most weightloss forums lack. I've been to weightloss forums before and the people there always have the opinion of 'fat = ugly' or a person must get to a lowest possible BMI. So yes, I do think there really is a need for a weightloss section on a site like this instead of ignoring that some people feel the need to lose a bit of weight for health or mobility reasons.

9. Nov 28, 2014 #349

bigmac

bigmac

bigmac

I'm in Southern California for turkey day. Used my mother-in-law's scale this morning and yes I have lost about 10 pounds since leaving Fresno (297 pounds before turkey).

10. Jan 8, 2015 #350

bbanditx79

bbanditx79

bbanditx79

I am. During my couple of years hiatus from here I did loose a good bit and went from around 375 to 220s (at my "smallest"). However, or the last 2 years I've put back on ~70lbs to where I'm now in the 290s. The good part is I'm a big guy who has been a consistent work out person so I "only" have to get the eating part in check ... which obviously is easier said than done. If I can consistently get down and stay to the 200-220 range that would be somewhat ideal. So I'll be one of those people focusing on loosing this 2015 and beyond.

11. Jan 9, 2015 #351

lemmy for prez

lemmy for prez

lemmy for prez

I'm planning on getting back into shape for health reasons. I'm always gonna be a rough lookin' son of gun but I'd like to wear some of my old shirts!

12. Feb 2, 2015 #352

tankyguy

tankyguy

tankyguy

Got a used treadmill for cheap and I've been doing 15 minutes in the mornings and evenings. It's only been a week and I don't feel much of an improvement yet.

13. Feb 2, 2015 #353

KingBuu

KingBuu

KingBuu

I'm mainly losing weight because I'm poor, I lost 170 pounds off of 500 over the last 14 years probably lost 20 more because I got really sick over Christmas.

14. Apr 4, 2015 #354

Smite

Smite

Smite

Here Comes Your Man

Soo i'm down to 199 from the 445 I was at. It's been a long road, not neccesarily a hard one, but I just wanted to give props to anyone whose trying to actively do it. I was a hardcore BHM supporter years ago, had a website and everything but I just grew tired, but I realized it was a important resource, but if any of you guys need a change I say absolutely go for it. I'm here to help and give instructions if anyone needs help.

Melian likes this.
  15. Apr 8, 2015 #355

deanbpm

deanbpm

deanbpm

Lost 70 pounds since last year. Feel loads better for it.

16. Apr 14, 2015 #356

Yakatori

Yakatori

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...

Gives you some time recover in between, boosts metabolism all day through. But, just be careful not to do the second round too, too late before the time you plan to get to sleep.

And also, when the weather's good, try to mix in some regular outdoor walking as well. Just to make sure to continue engaging all of your body's stabilization that gets a bit of a break on some machines.

Still, if the weather's bad, at least you have some ready alternative. Which is so important to consistently keep at it, on a year-long basis.

17. Sep 12, 2015 #357

likeitmatters

likeitmatters

likeitmatters

happiness as finally come

I personally walk everyday which is the best I can do as I have a plethora of ailments due two heart attacks and other ailments. I would never ever over train myself even when I was 20 something...not my style. I do not need to be the center of attention in life then or now.

I commend the people who over train and I wonder how much help they had from steriods to give them the big muscles? i prefer to look at powerlifters bodies as they are muscles and fat at the same time.