Quantcast

Dear Conrad:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
For the record, the system keeps track of where you quote from. And that 'quote' of Conrad redirects to a thread about the discussion of video games.

Your credibility goes down when you start putting words in peoples' mouths.

Just saying.
Yeah, I quoted him properly and have no fucking idea why it jumps to that thread...

When you make assumptions and don't look into them, your credibility goes way down.

Also, bite me.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Hey, she got more than most women here, a penis in the vagina instead of the fat rolls. She should look at it like she paid him to go away.;)
might have saved herself a boatload of trouble in the long run... now as far as lovely BBW here not getting their fair share....

Tina

Older and wiser now
The more I read of this murky mess the more I believe that Conrad made the right decision. Both parties seem pretty darned culpable to me, and how does he know exactly what the truth is? How does anyone but the two involved parties?

Shosh

Susannah
The more I read of this murky mess the more I believe that Conrad made the right decision. Both parties seem pretty darned culpable to me, and how does he know exactly what the truth is? How does anyone but the two involved parties?
For there to be a suggestion that Conrad could be responsible for a possible violent crime between two board members as proposed in the OP's original post is ridiculous.
As I asked previously, is he responsible for the behaviour and actions of approaching 60,000 members of this board? No.

I believe this matter should be allowed to be discussed here, the man is a thief and he must pay the money he stole back, but as far as putting the onus on Conrad and Dimensions, no. We are all adults.

Lovelyone

Fat, and loveable!
Dear Conrad:
snipped...

I’m baffled and vexed by this seemingly irresponsible decision, and urge you to rethink it. I imagine your goal is to protect the reputation of Dimensions, but please understand that this action puts a fairly huge dent in that very reputation. It also puts the women of your board in danger and sets a wildly reckless precedent. Do you want to be responsible for future crimes between forum members? Perhaps violent crimes? That may sound outrageous, but I see it as the logical progression of what you’ve put in motion.

snipped....

For there to be a suggestion that Conrad could be responsible for a possible violent crime between two board members as proposed in the OP's original post is ridiculous.
As I asked previously, is he responsible for the behaviour and actions of approaching 60,000 members of this board? No.

I believe this matter should be allowed to be discussed here, the man is a thief and he must pay the money he stole back, but as far as putting the onus on Conrad and Dimensions, no. We are all adults.
For the record, in the original posting the OP didn't suggest that he could be responsible for a crime between two board members. She posed it as a question and ASKED if he would want to be responsible for FUTURE crimes that could happen.

Either way it's kinda creepy that it happened and that this person seems to have used the forums to find his victims.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
For the record, the original posting didn't suggest that he could be responsible for a crime between two board members. She posed it as a question and ASKED if he would want to be responsible for FUTURE crimes that could happen..
We would need a Crystal Ball or Tom Cruise to answer that .... however, given the track record 'anything' is possible -but, with awareness maybe future BBW won't put themselves in this predictament...

Shosh

Susannah
For the record, in the original posting the OP didn't suggest that he could be responsible for a crime between two board members. She posed it as a question and ASKED if he would want to be responsible for FUTURE crimes that could happen.

Either way it's kinda creepy that it happened and that this person seems to have used the forums to find his victims.
Either way, it is most unfair for that question to be even asked. Either way Conrad is not responsible.
People are responsible for their own actions. We are all adults.

People use the internet at their own risk.

Having said that I find this man's actions reprehensible.

irish_redhead

Shop-o-holic
The guy is a sleeze. Did he deserve to be outed? Damn right. Is there anything that Dims can do about this situation, or to prevent this from happening in the future? Not likely. Is it a board issue? Yes and No. There shouldn't be any reason not to discuss it on the board, but at the same time I can see why the board is not going to take any action against a member for IRL activities.

All the victim blaming in the world doesn't change what happened. The crime has been admitted, so the only argument now is whether he is a thief or a THIEF. Everything else is just splitting hairs.

Meanwhile, some three-post troll (or sockpuppet) comes up with shit like this:

Hell over the past two years I have come to realize that what wrong with the BBW / plus-size community is the BBW / plus-size community. You want everyone to both support and praise you for living a lifestyle that will only lead to health issues and death. Yet at the same time say that it the rest of the word that has issues because your slowly using food to kill yourself like a crackhead uses crack.
and isn't banned from the board.

:doh:

Shosh

Susannah
The guy is a sleeze. Did he deserve to be outed? Damn right. Is there anything that Dims can do about this situation, or to prevent this from happening in the future? Not likely. Is it a board issue? Yes and No. There shouldn't be any reason not to discuss it on the board, but at the same time I can see why the board is not going to take any action against a member for IRL activities.

All the victim blaming in the world doesn't change what happened. The crime has been admitted, so the only argument now is whether he is a thief or a THIEF. Everything else is just splitting hairs.

Very good point. What a horrible thing to write. One wonders why that person is even a member of this board.

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity
It's the last post in this thread. She quoted it properly, word for word.

Maybe not jump to conclusions next time. "Just saying."
I was not aware of that thread, and I was not calling anyone out or disagreeing with the point of this one. It *is* a valid point. I *was* pointing out that the quote points to a post that does not mention its content, and that this is generally considered bad for various reasons. Probably should have just kept my mouth shut, which I will now do.

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity
I take that back. I'm going to make one other comment. Relevant, this time.

Both Conrad and the OP are right, each in their own way.

Conrad is right in that dealing with the theft and any potential recouping of monies is a police matter.

The OP is right in that alerting other Dimensions members that there is a two-faced sleaze in their midst is very much a board issue, if only to try and ostracize the offender and prevent it from happening to other board members in the future.

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.
I take that back. I'm going to make one other comment. Relevant, this time.

Both Conrad and the OP are right, each in their own way.

Conrad is right in that dealing with the theft and any potential recouping of monies is a police matter.

The OP is right in that alerting other Dimensions members that there is a two-faced sleaze in their midst is very much a board issue, if only to try and ostracize the offender and prevent it from happening to other board members in the future.
I can agree with that, but I don't think anyone really implied (at least not that I noticed) that Conrad has any kind of legal obligation to take action against "The Fez", or that he needs to involve himself with the police personally, over this matter. I think most of us were just upset that he closed the last thread, after labeling it as, "not a board issue", which is clearly untrue. If someone uses the board to prey on other members, then it's definitely a board issue, and the victim should have the right (and even be encouraged) to talk about it freely, as long as it's founded. The more people are made aware of cases like this, the less opportunity people like him have to take advantage again.

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I actually have mixed feelings on banning. On one hand, it would seem like an appropriate gesture and would show other would-be predators that they risk their entire account and reputation when trying to con someone, which might persuade them to reconsider. On the other, allowing them to keep using the account they are known for (as scammers) would undoubtedly make it more difficult for them to con other victims, as their post history would be up for grabs to anyone interested. Then again, I guess most proven thieves/con artists probably wouldn't continue to post on their infamous accounts anyway, so that point might be a tad moot.

In any case, I'm glad Conrad decided to leave this thread alone. Spreading awareness about situations like this is a great thing, if it helps prevent even just one or two other people from suffering through it themselves.

Forgotten_Futures

The *other* Holy Trinity
I can agree with that, but I don't think anyone really implied (at least not that I noticed) that Conrad has any kind of legal obligation to take action against "The Fez", or that he needs to involve himself with the police personally, over this matter. I think most of us were just upset that he closed the last thread, after labeling it as, "not a board issue", which is clearly untrue. If someone uses the board to prey on other members, then it's definitely a board issue, and the victim should have the right (and even be encouraged) to talk about it freely, as long as it's founded. The more people are made aware of cases like this, the less opportunity people like him have to take advantage again.

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I actually have mixed feelings on banning. On one hand, it would seem like an appropriate gesture and would show other would-be predators that they risk their entire account and reputation when trying to con someone, which might persuade them to reconsider. On the other, allowing them to keep using the account they are known for (as scammers) would undoubtedly make it more difficult for them to con other victims, as their post history would be up for grabs to anyone interested. Then again, I guess most proven thieves/con artists probably wouldn't continue to post on their infamous accounts anyway, so that point might be a tad moot.

In any case, I'm glad Conrad decided to leave this thread alone. Spreading awareness about situations like this is a great thing, if it helps prevent even just one or two other people from suffering through it themselves.
Nope, Conrad definitely doesn't have any legal requirements in this regard except if LE requests IP info on The Fez as part of any investigation they do. And even then, I'm not sure, because there's international legality crap involved there (I know it would be a given in the USA).

And I thought about the banning thing, too. Anyone worth their salt knows how to disguise their IP, so banning or not banning really has no effect on a dedicated thief.

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem

exactly. 100%

It isn't a matter for the forum to fix but it is a matter for the forum members to discuss.

This forum can't even regulate itself on stuff it's clearly designed to handle, expecting it to do so with theft would be delusional. However, saying that members fucked over by other members don't/shouldn't have a place to discuss it here is also delusional.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
One thing I really enjoyed about several forums I used to be a member of, automotive and record collecting/tape trading, were the stickied rip-off alert threads.

If you shipped another forum member a cracked header and refused to replace it or accepted a payment but never shipped a tape or record your info was added to the list of offending posters with links to the listings and any complaint threads that arose from your fraud.

Egregious cases or repeat offenders resulted in a permaban with the users' Paypal, ebay and shipping info posted to prevent them from sockpuppeting their way around the ban.

Otherwise the user was free to continue using the forums, temporarily banned from the marketplace subforums and allowed to eventually rebuild their reputation.

Latest posts