Do you believe in aliens?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

shazz2602

doing that think you do
Sat with my boyfriend watching the sky i was wondering if there really could be something else out there. My boyfriend is a firm believe that there are aliens, he believes that he has been taken by them although its all fague and cloudy to him what actually happened.
Sometimes i think its all in his mind and he just one night had a very vivid dream about it, but other times when i think about it maybe he is right and it did really happen.
What do you think about the possibility that there is something else out there?
Or have you yourself been abducted?

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Illegal or extra terrestrial? ;)

Extra-terrestrial:

Actually I do, simply by virtue that one would think our universe is big enough that the odds are there must be other forms of life such as what we have here on Earth. One interesting thing I've read lately (and heard from physicists where I work...) is that astronomers are discovering our universe to be much more of a harsh / unstable place than previously believed. The stable conditions needed to create life may be fewer and further between than we previously imagined. Places like our solar system and Earth may be a rarity.

Lastminute.Tom

Write on!
I think its more likely than unlikely, although if there have been any real sightings then the aliens in question would most likely be peaceful else we would already have been destroyed by now

george83

DADDY IN A DRESS
It would be impossible for there not to be anyone else there. There has got to be.

I think some day in the not so distant future we will make contact, I belive that the us goverment already has contact and are keeping it underwraps.

Damn those men in black.

bexy

is red again <3
I totally believe in aliens. They terrify me but I am also somewhat obsessed with them.

There is too much proof and evidence out there not to believe, also its irrational to think we are the only planet in this universe or any other with life on it.

KotR

I believe and am also in the camp that the government might know something, but is keeping it under wraps. What I don't believe, however, is that all aliens are interested in are abducting rednecks and doing needless anal probing.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
I've never seen a UFO but who's to say they don't exist?

There's been what? A couple hundred or so planets discovered outside our solar system? Yeah, most of them are gas giants but some are earth sized worlds. Why can't the conditions exist to create life of some sort on another world?

The universe is estimated to be billions of years older than the earth. Why couldn't life have developed on a world somewhere, achieved intelligence and discovered the means of intergalactic travel through a science unfathomable to us?

A small percentage of UFO sightings remain unexplained by the "experts", so what are they? There have been numerous recorded sightings by reputable witnesses who aren't drunk, insane or rednecks.

Does the government know something? Yeah, probably...

Okay, humans have been sending radio broadcasts and television broadcasts into space for roughly 80 years or so, right? We've been sending SETI signals and sending probes into space to explore the solar system for years. Why haven't any aliens replied?

Who's to say that there hasn't been a reply? Perhaps it's some signal we're unable to recognize? Perhaps there just isn't intelligent life in the arm of the milky way galaxy we're situated in. Maybe some vastly older and more advanced intelligence just isn't interested in us. Maybe the military caught a signal and quashed it.

A couple years back, a co-worker of mine came into work genuinely shaken up about something he saw. I've known this guy for many years...in fact, we went to grade school/jr high together...he's cold sober, intelligent, sane and perfectly normal. If he says he saw something, I believe him. There are lots of open, rural areas and small towns around here. He said he was out driving, saw something which clearly wasn't any jet or plane he was aware of and it left him truly unnerved. I could he was genuinely bothered about talking about it and he's usually a very friendly and outgoing guy. There have also been a few other sightings recorded in my area, too, over the years.

So, yes, there are many pros and many cons to the existence of extra terrestrial life and, until some other intelligence conclusively makes itself known, this debate will continue.

Dennis

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
(X-Files geekiness)
WOOT.

I do believe that there's extraterrestrial life out there.

Think about it.

The Hubble telescope took this image in 2003. (Warning: It's a friggin' HUGE image. About 20 MB.) Look close. Every speck of light in that image is a galaxy. Not a star, but a GALAXY. About 10,000 galaxies are visible in this image. Like, for example, the Pinwheel Galaxy. Each galaxy has millions- if not billions- of stars. Like our own, these stars may have planets. It's no stretch of the imagination that some of these planets are capable of harboring life and do have life on them.

The NASA.gov article on it states that "[t]he Ultra Deep Field observations represent a narrow, deep view of the cosmos. Looking into the Ultra Deep Field is like peering through an eight-foot-long soda straw." It's not a comprehensive look all around us; it's peering into deep space in one spot, illustrated fairly well in this image. What that doesn't show is the depth of the image (which obviously goes far, far deeper than a local constellation), but it does show fairly well how very little of our universe we see in it.

The HUDF image shows only a minute fraction of the cosmos. What it shows is more or less what we would see if we were to look in any other direction. With all these stars in all these galaxies, it is nothing short of blind and foolish arrogance to believe that ours is the only planet in this vast universe that has life on it.

As to whether we have been visited by extraterrestrials, I, like Mulder, want to believe, but I'm not convinced. Especially because of the size of the universe- that alien life has travelled around and picked our solar system to visit, out of all the stars in our galaxy, and that out of all the galaxies in our local group, is a concept that is worthy of skepticism.

troubadours

i was stolen by alien's when i was 12. the memory has scared for life, and even physically.

no seriously though i do believe in aliens and i HATE them i'm deathly afraid of them

Adamantoise

Senpai hasn't noticed...
I'm not sure-I think what George said may have some truth to it-with so much space out there,and the many galaxies that make up the universe,do you still believe that this planet is the only one with (intelligent) life on it? I was pretty skeptical about it before-I mean,why would they just hover about earth for but a few fleeting seconds,announcing their presence momentarily before disappearing at speeds beyond that which we can register with our eyes...perhaps there is nothing-but I find it too hard to believe. On the other hand,because of mainstream sci-fi and the 'marketing' of aliens/extraterrestrial life (greys?),the idea has been sullied for me.

An Additional Note-Now,the next idea that I put forward may cause you to go into shock,just a warning. How about we finish discovering this strange little planet called earth? It may be hard to believe,but we're not done uncovering things on this planet yet,like under the sea,the very tops of mountains,heck,right under our feet. We should concentrate on exploration of our own planet before going off to find life on others. ;)

Adamantoise

Senpai hasn't noticed...
WOOT.

I do believe that there's extraterrestrial life out there.

Think about it.

The Hubble telescope took this image in 2003. (Warning: It's a friggin' HUGE image. About 20 MB.) Look close. Every speck of light in that image is a galaxy. Not a star, but a GALAXY. About 10,000 galaxies are visible in this image. Like, for example, the Pinwheel Galaxy. Each galaxy has millions- if not billions- of stars. Like our own, these stars may have planets. It's no stretch of the imagination that some of these planets are capable of harboring life and do have life on them.

The NASA.gov article on it states that "[t]he Ultra Deep Field observations represent a narrow, deep view of the cosmos. Looking into the Ultra Deep Field is like peering through an eight-foot-long soda straw." It's not a comprehensive look all around us; it's peering into deep space in one spot, illustrated fairly well in this image. What that doesn't show is the depth of the image (which obviously goes far, far deeper than a local constellation), but it does show fairly well how very little of our universe we see in it.

The HUDF image shows only a minute fraction of the cosmos. What it shows is more or less what we would see if we were to look in any other direction. With all these stars in all these galaxies, it is nothing short of blind and foolish arrogance to believe that ours is the only planet in this vast universe that has life on it.

As to whether we have been visited by extraterrestrials, I, like Mulder, want to believe, but I'm not convinced. Especially because of the size of the universe- that alien life has travelled around and picked our solar system to visit, out of all the stars in our galaxy, and that out of all the galaxies in our local group, is a concept that is worthy of skepticism.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Blackjack again.

Absolutely agree with you-I'm not allowed to rep you though-sorry.

LJ Rock

I do believe that there are intelligent extra terrestrial life forms in the universe. I am convinced that at least 90% of people who say they've seen such life forms or have experienced abductions are either recalling vivid dreams or hallucinations, are delusional and/or insane or are just plain lying. I also feel that we as human beings have such a limited understanding of the universe and even the world around us, and that what we would consider tangible evidence of life forms from distant galaxies or dimensions is something which is for all intensive purposes beyond our comprehension.

I feel that I have never seen or never will see a so-called alien in my lifetime for the same reason that I've never seen a so-called ghost or spirit; I was never meant to see such a thing. I am a child of the Earth, I believe in what I can see and feel around me (not just feeling in terms of tactile sensors, but feeling on an emotional and spiritual plane as well.) I know that I am a spiritual being and in that regard I am connected to every living thing in this world and beyond, though I know that I will never fully understand the depths of those connections until my time on this Earth is through; there are just some things that we weren't meant to know yet.

I do think that there are a very select few on this Earth who have the ability to see things that most of us don't see; who understand the Universe on a deeper level. I don't think these are the people we see on The X Files or Psychic Hot Line. These things are fun, and everyone loves a good ghost story (myself included) but I think that ultimately we spend so much time and energy looking for the supernatural that we forget to look at and appreciate many of the natural treasures that are all around us everyday.

Mathias

SAMCRO
I believe that there are other forms of life out there but I think that they could be thinking the same things about us as we are of them.

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
I would like to merge my answer to this thread with the answer to the thread about what's in your purse?

I have always said that if I was ever abducted by aliens, I had enough stuff in my purse to be okay for about a week. After that, they would just have to bring me back! So, by these statements, I am admitting there is the possibility of alien life. (However, it's not necessarily above the level of our evolution - it could be just little worms or plants.)

Ernest Nagel

is old
Certainly there's life on many other planets. Look how robust and adaptable species evolve to flourish in the most extreme environments here on earth. Sentient life is a whole other question though. Of all the millions of animal species that have existed on our planet we're the only one that has persisted with what arguably qualifies as higher intelligence. The level of intelligence required for interstellar or intergalactic space travel would probably make us seem like mental amoeba in comparison so how rare would that be? And if you're that smart what are you looking for on other worlds? What could you hope to bring back? What could you safely offer?

Keeping in mind that the universe is chronologically, not just spatially, vast the odds of a sentient species visiting our planet at any time in our brief lives seems insurmountably small. It seems more probable to me that if we've been visited anytime in the past several millennia we were footnoted in some vast cosmological database to check back in a few more thousand years to see if we're still here.

If they do, for whatever strange reason, happen to have any interest in us I'd assume they would embed themselves or their proxies/probes in our culture, hiding in plain sight as cats, cockroaches, attorneys or something. Abduction just seems so declasse. :bow: