Explain your screen name

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I had several pet snakes growing up. I only named the first three, though.

Sydney was my first. He was a Texas Bull Snake.
Pete was my second; a six-foot red-railed boa constrictor. He was actually the personal pet of the guy who ran the fish and reptile center at the pet store, but he gave Pete to me as a birthday gift when he had to go back out on the road. He was a truck-driver, primarily.
Herbie was my third; a Speckled Kingsnake.

I had a couple of others over the years, including a rescued boa, and a grey-banded kingsnake, but I reached a point where I didn't feel comfortable keeping anything in a cage, so I stopped keeping reptiles as pets.

I still catch them occasionally, though. Especially venomous ones that encroach on the property of wherever I've worked. I catch them to ease the anxiety of my co-workers and release them elsewhere, in places where they are less likely to come across humans.
Honestly, I do it more for the snakes, so they won't get killed by ignorant people, than I do for the humans.
Ah, that's so awesome! I never had big snakes, and we don't really get wild ones around here either, so snakes are more of a rarity to us, I guess.

I've had garter snakes and corn snakes, and thats it. The corn snakes were multiple though; we bought an old female from a pet shop who turned out to be pregnant and Loopy was one of her babies. We rescued Houdini-Kai from my uncle, bought Comet, Magna, Lagoon and Granite for breeding some day. Eventually Houdini ended up breeding with the old female, BamBam, so we had a bunch more from there. Not good quality babies because BamBam was so old but in our defence, we were told Houdini was a female when we got him and he lived with Bam for about two years before they ever mated! How romantic.

Comet was the last of the snakes we kept and he died earlier this year. He was about 17. He as very sweet and shy and ran away from his food if you tried to wiggle it for him. It had to be left in a sheltered spot and everybody had to leave the room before he'd eat, hah.

Bonus fact: Loopy's actual name was Little Loop Spaghetti Hoop as he was red/orange with bright orange saddles. He only lived for a few weeks, as did most of his siblings. He died in my hands.

14141746_10154339260555985_4557167739225700340_n.jpg
bamkai.png

First one is Comet, second one is a BamBam/Houdini-Kai cuddle pile. Bamkai, as we liked to call it!

Ahem, back on topic, sorry, hah!

Last edited:

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
A pet snake as a birthday present - that was how my very personal nightmare would begin.

Generally speaking I like animals but snakes kind of freak me out...
Yeah, I love animals, but not a fan of snakes over here either lol!
Well, I was 12 or 13 at the time, so in order for a snake to be allowed in the house, it had to be approved by my mother, and my mother was absolutely horrified of snakes when this chapter in my life began.

We were regulars at that particular pet store since it was the closest one to our house, and I had a fresh-water tropical fish aquarium.
We had become acquainted with Jim, the manager of the fish and reptile center, and I was always interested in the reptiles, especially the snakes, every time we went in to buy fish for my aquarium.
Jim had Pete out of his cage one day, and I asked if I could hold him (my mother already knew of my fascination, since I had been catching snakes for years at that point. Something that drove her absolutely crazy. She hated snakes.)
However, she relented and let me hold Pete that day. And then Jim talked her into touching Pete. She was under the impression that snakes were slimy and gross to the touch. But she squeamishly held her hand out and let Pete catch her scent. She actually giggled at the touch of his flickering tongue. Then he surprised her by crawling off my shoulders through her hand and up her arm to her shoulders, as Jim kept her calm. She suddenly lost her fear.
And she let me buy Sydney that day. (Pete came home with me about a month later.)

Orso

'Orso' in Italian means 'bear'. This is my nick because I'm Italian and I love bears, I identify with them and bears are my totem. Besides I am tall, big, bearded, lazy, with a sweet tooth. So I AM a bear!

Barrett

DM Supporter
'Orso' in Italian means 'bear'. This is my nick because I'm Italian and I love bears, I identify with them and bears are my totem. Besides I am tall, big, bearded, lazy, with a sweet tooth. So I AM a bear!
Very similar to the reasoning for mine. Bears are my totem/spirit animal.
"Barrett" is Old German for "bear-strength."

CatmanLou

Coming out of lurkdom to post this. I’m a big time cat person...purr-son if you will...who happens to be named Lou. Hence CatmanLou. FYI I’m named after my paternal grandfather whose name back in the old country (do people still use the phrase “old country”), Poland, was Ludvik. Louis, my full name, is an Anglicized version of Ludvik. I don’t know why my parents chose the spelling Louis rather than Lewis. They’re both deceased so it’s too late to ask them. Going back into lurkdom.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Coming out of lurkdom to post this. I’m a big time cat person...purr-son if you will...who happens to be named Lou. Hence CatmanLou. FYI I’m named after my paternal grandfather whose name back in the old country (do people still use the phrase “old country”), Poland, was Ludvik. Louis, my full name, is an Anglicized version of Ludvik. I don’t know why my parents chose the spelling Louis rather than Lewis. They’re both deceased so it’s too late to ask them. Going back into lurkdom.
CatmanLou also sound excitingly and romantically like Kathmandu. I recently started using the phrase "the old country".

Barrett

DM Supporter
In the 90's when the internet was new I ran one of the first joke pages on the WWW. I was then Inetjoker. I dropped the Inet and though some know me as Batman I am Joker.
"The greatest trick the Joker ever pulled was convincing the world he was Batman."

Green Eyed Fairy

Funky Faerie Queene
a pet snake 😱😱😱
A pet snake as a birthday present - that was how my very personal nightmare would begin.

Generally speaking I like animals but snakes kind of freak me out...
Ah, that's so awesome! I never had big snakes, and we don't really get wild ones around here either, so snakes are more of a rarity to us, I guess.

I've had garter snakes and corn snakes, and thats it. The corn snakes were multiple though; we bought an old female from a pet shop who turned out to be pregnant and Loopy was one of her babies. We rescued Houdini-Kai from my uncle, bought Comet, Magna, Lagoon and Granite for breeding some day. Eventually Houdini ended up breeding with the old female, BamBam, so we had a bunch more from there. Not good quality babies because BamBam was so old but in our defence, we were told Houdini was a female when we got him and he lived with Bam for about two years before they ever mated! How romantic.

Comet was the last of the snakes we kept and he died earlier this year. He was about 17. He as very sweet and shy and ran away from his food if you tried to wiggle it for him. It had to be left in a sheltered spot and everybody had to leave the room before he'd eat, hah.

Bonus fact: Loopy's actual name was Little Loop Spaghetti Hoop as he was red/orange with bright orange saddles. He only lived for a few weeks, as did most of his siblings. He died in my hands.

View attachment 138964
View attachment 138965

First one is Comet, second one is a BamBam/Houdini-Kai cuddle pile. Bamkai, as we liked to call it!

Ahem, back on topic, sorry, hah!
My ex husband loved snakes. He had some pet snakes when we first got married many moons ago.
Two garter snakes and we discovered one of them was pregnant. He put them into a box to clean their home (a glass fish terrarium) and they got out.
I didnt want to touch them and knew they were crawling around in the apartment when I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee (I was pregnant). I would turn on the light and run to the bathroom, turn on the light in there and look around for them (didnt want to get surprised on the toilet eh?) before using it.
He found both of them within a couple of days (he would lean down and snatch them like it was nothing) but realized Mom snake had given birth. It took about a week to find 13 tiny baby snakes through out the apartment. The babies were really cute but I didn't know if I would hurt them if I picked them up. I would see one, tell him and he was the snake whisperer that gathered them all up.
He sold them in the newspaper and I had them in a large jar at my job, waiting for someone to come pick them up. One of the vendors called me crazy for having them with me. Tiny baby snakes putting the holy terror into a grown man. I have seen it all.
Had to share.... :)

@penguin - am I mistaken or did you go by a different handle when you first came here? I do remember your Star Wars/Princess Leia pics one upon a time (I saw your post about your old photos)

Okay back on topic: the two quotes below pretty much explain my screen name.

I was known as a "fairy queen" in other parts of these here intranets for years. Realizing how easily I could be found through the power of google with that old handle, I changed it to this current monicker for Dims.
There are a lot of green eyed fairies on the net so Google doesn't hold so much power over me now :)

Last edited:

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
My ex husband loved snakes. He had some pet snakes when we first got married many moons ago.
Two garter snakes and we discovered one of them was pregnant. He put them into a box to clean their home (a glass fish terrarium) and they got out.
I didnt want to touch them and knew they were crawling around in the apartment when I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee (I was pregnant). I would turn on the light and run to the bathroom, turn on the light in there and look around for them (didnt want to get surprised on the toilet eh?) before using it.
He found both of them within a couple of days (he would lean down and snatch them like it was nothing) but realized Mom snake had given birth. It took about a week to find 13 tiny baby snakes through out the apartment. The babies were really cute but I didn't know if I would hurt them if I picked them up. I would see one, tell him and he was the snake whisperer that gathered them all up.
He sold them in the newspaper and I had them in a large jar at my job, waiting for someone to come pick them up. One of the vendors called me crazy for having them with me. Tiny baby snakes putting the holy terror into a grown man. I have seen it all.

@penguin - am I mistaken or did you go by a different handle when you first came here? I do remember your Star Wars/Princess Leia pics one upon a time (I saw your post about your old photos)

I was known as a "fairy queen" in other parts of these here intranets for years. Realizing how easily I could be found through the power of google with that old handle, I changed it to this current monicker for Dims.
There are a lot of green eyed fairies on the net so Google doesn't hold so much power over me now :)
@Green Eyed Fairy
the first part - a nightmare!
"He found them within a couple of days..." "13 baby snakes" 😱😱 plus hormonal turbulence during pregnancy... Oh dear, lol.

AmyJo1976

SSBBW & FFA
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
DM Supporter

Good grief! If a snake crawled over my foot in the middle of the night, I would probably fall over right there lol! Dying on the toilet would be even worse! LMAO 😂

Latest posts