Game of Thrones

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

olwen

Disco Bear
Isn't he? He's perfect in the part. If you haven't seen it, you should check him out in The Station Agent.
I have seen that movies. It's a great film. I think he's also in In Brouges, which is hilarious. He's a good actor, and hot too, which is why I got excited when I heard he was playing Tyrion.

olwen

Disco Bear
That whole episode was pretty much straight from the book. Loved it. I will definitely be getting this show on DVD.

penguin

Fnord
OH man, I loved it so much. That last scene was just amazing. This episode didn't make me cry, but I came close during the final Dany/Drogo scene. There was so much I loved about it. I'm five or so chapters into the book, and I really like how much they are the same so far.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
OMG the season finale was incredible. HBO has created some amazing series. I have to own this. The last scene was like every fantasy painting I've ever seen.

My early complaint was not enough magic or fantasy going on, but I think it was brilliant actually because the final scene was that much more thrilling and you felt what the people around her felt. Hell I wanted to bow down.

:D

Also, the actress playing Dany is so perfect in the part.

olwen

Disco Bear
OMG the season finale was incredible. HBO has created some amazing series. I have to own this. The last scene was like every fantasy painting I've ever seen.

My early complaint was not enough magic or fantasy going on, but I think it was brilliant actually because the final scene was that much more thrilling and you felt what the people around her felt. Hell I wanted to bow down.

:D

Also, the actress playing Dany is so perfect in the part.
I think the casting is good in general. Everyone seems perfect for their roles.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
I think the casting is good in general. Everyone seems perfect for their roles.
NO doubt especially the guy playing Tyrian.

I'd really like to see the guy who play Vesarys play Vanyel Ashkevron. In fact that's how I've always pictured Vanyel in my head. I've always loved that book by Mercedes Lackey "The Last Herald-Mage", and I think it would make an awesome movie or series.

olwen

Disco Bear
NO doubt especially the guy playing Tyrian.

I'd really like to see the guy who play Vesarys play Vanyel Ashkevron. In fact that's how I've always pictured Vanyel in my head. I've always loved that book by Mercedes Lackey "The Last Herald-Mage", and I think it would make an awesome movie or series.
I confess I've never read any of Mercedes Lackey's books, so I have no idea who Vanyel is, and can I just say that even tho I knew Ned Stark was going to die, I was still kinda pissed there'd be no more Sean Bean in the show. :(

ConnieLynn

has left the building.
I finished the book last night. Now I am torn between starting the second book or waiting until I see the second season of the show. I loved all the surprises each week :)

The Orange Mage

♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓
I'd say don't read the book...you'll just end up reading all the ones so far and be left waiting years for the next one to come out.

Wasn't it supposed to be out in 2005 or something?

penguin

Fnord
I'd say don't read the book...you'll just end up reading all the ones so far and be left waiting years for the next one to come out.

Wasn't it supposed to be out in 2005 or something?
The next book comes out mid July, so it's not too long now. I'm only on the first one, so I've got a few to read before I run out, and then I can read them again.

CrazyGuy13

The next book comes out mid July, so it's not too long now. I'm only on the first one, so I've got a few to read before I run out, and then I can read them again.
I think the criticism that the series gets is that the author takes longer and longer with each book. I think in the 4th one he gave an estimated release date for the 5th one, which was years ago. Hopefully he'll pick up the pace now and was just stuck with the story at its current point, but we'll see. Either way, excited for the 5th one in a few weeks.

penguin

Fnord
I think the criticism that the series gets is that the author takes longer and longer with each book. I think in the 4th one he gave an estimated release date for the 5th one, which was years ago. Hopefully he'll pick up the pace now and was just stuck with the story at its current point, but we'll see. Either way, excited for the 5th one in a few weeks.
That happens a lot, though. Jean M Auel's latest book took ages to come out, but it wasn't that good IMO. I like knowing I've got four more to read after I'm done with GoT!

JoyJoy

My friend turned me on to the books several years ago and I was hooked. LOVE them...can't say that enough....but waiting for the next one has been frustrating. I've got mine reserved on BOMC2.com (Book of the Month Club 2) for $10.00!! So excited!

I love the show, and agree that the casting has been almost perfect, and the story has been very faithful. I don't like the actor playing Cersei, though. I pictured someone much more evil and she's only...meh.

Waikikian

Came across the series by accident and was not surprised that HBO renewed for a second season the night of the first episode of the first season!

I'm close to finishing the third book. The story just gets better and better. The series hews pretty close to it, apart from minimal adjustments to make it suitable for TV viewing.

Since it's Dimensions, I'll note that many of the characters in the books are fat. There are a number of scenes involving House Manderly, whose leader is so big he can no longer ride a horse; his two sons are described as the second and third fattest men one of the heroines has ever seen; in a banquet scene, he sits on a double-sized chair that House Stark has made especially for the purpose.

A cleric in the capital is described as so fat he can barely walk, which proves difficult for him when he is caught in public during a riot over lack of food.

The despicable head of House Frey offers the hand in marriage of any of three daughters, with their weight in riches, and, yes, the man he makes the offer to chooses the fat one; in a much later scene at House Frey, one of the younger Manderleys is slow to realize there is dirty work afoot because he is demolishing a leg of lamb.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about these scenes, even when anti-fat statements are made, suggest a certain sympathy, and also a fondness for full-figured women.

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
I am so ticked that Stark was killed. Would have gladly had both members of The Psycho Couple bite it ( K & K ).

ConnieLynn

has left the building.
I am so ticked that Stark was killed. Would have gladly had both members of The Psycho Couple bite it ( K & K ).
I wanted to throw something at the tv :) Before I started reading the books, a friend told me not to get too attached to main characters since the author has no problem killing them off.

Latest posts