How do you describe what you like to others?

Discussion in 'BBW/FA Board' started by NaeusofStryx, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Feb 10, 2019 #41

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

I just hold out my arms to either side to indicate a very, very large person.

DragonFly and Aqw like this.
  2. Feb 10, 2019 #42

ThatNoraChick

ThatNoraChick

ThatNoraChick

i think the best way to do it is to be honest but not come across as fetishy... the biggest turn off for us girls is to feel like we are being fetichized. If you like my body type cool, just don't be specific like ohhhhh mmmmm i love bellies. Huge turn off.

Emmy, Tad, BigElectricKat and 2 others like this.
  3. Feb 13, 2019 #43

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

Unbasher, I read an article that says zaftig meant juicy, without a sexual connotation, in Yiddish until relatively recently-according to the article, only with the development of Americanized Yiddish slang (Yinglish) did the meaning become connected to female bodies.

I actually tried learning German awhile back and it was really funny seeing some words I already sort of knew from having some Yiddish words in my vocabulary. Most of them mean the same thing in Yiddish and German but I was very surprised when I learned the German word for jewelry is “schmuck,” which, as most Americans know, means “stupid, pathetic dickhead,” or, literally, “penis” in Yiddish. It made me feel super weird- Duo Lingo would be like, say “dein schmuck” and I’d be like “dein...schmuck :/“

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    loopytheone likes this.
  4. Feb 13, 2019 #44

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

Shh! Don’t tell!

Also, on topic-I usually don’t describe what I like to others. I flirt with people I find attractive-Maybe I “describe” what I like through how I act.

5. Feb 13, 2019 #45

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

The Yiddish meaning of "Schmuck" probably originated as a metaphorical usage comparable to the English phrase "family jewels". Leo Rosten's book is a very enjoyable little volume about Yiddish words, which have found their way into American English and thence into English all around the world.

6. Feb 13, 2019 #46

Unbasher

Unbasher

Unbasher

Perhaps it helps if you pronounce the German word for "jewelry" German: "shmook". Then you'd be less reminded of penises when you're window shopping at the jeweler's :D

7. Feb 13, 2019 #47

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

I pronounce it /ʃmʊk/. What a fascinating word! Such debated etymology. Is this on topic? Yes, it shows what interesting people we fat people are.

8. Feb 13, 2019 #48

Unbasher

Unbasher

Unbasher

No way, how did you get those IPA characters in here???

That implies skinny me isn't interesting...:eek:

9. Feb 13, 2019 #49

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

I should add a caveat to what I wrote above: "I just hold out my arms to either side to indicate a very, very large person."

I only did this once, and the other person "got it." Otherwise, I just say "I like big girls" and leave it at that.

Once upon a time, though, a friend was trying to fix me up and he would talk about "How about this one? Or that one?" indicating some slightly chubby person in our small town who was otherwise completely wrong for me in terms of temperament and everything else. It seems some people think "Fat" is the only criteria you have for a potential romantic partner. ;)

I showed him a photo of a 350-pound webmodel, and he understood immediately. I mean...that's the sort of body size I've been looking at ever since the net came into being. Case closed.

But I am open to all if they are kind, intelligent, thoughtful, considerate, interesting and interested. :)

10. Feb 13, 2019 #50

LifelongFA

LifelongFA

LifelongFA

I just seem to have the words "FA" written on my forehead in a very large font! For whatever reason, this has been the case for decades with me, and it's not just me thinking so - all my close friends agree, so it sort of goes with out saying.

11. Feb 14, 2019 #51

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

It's certainly not meant to imply what Unbasher takes it to imply. I was only talking about how interesting fat people can be, because on this site we're concerned with the assumptions that people often make about fat. There are plenty of skinny people, who are interesting to talk to, but skinny people don't have to deal with the same prejudgments that fat people do.

You can find most of the IPA characters in the Word character set. If that isn't available to you, you can find them by looking up words on Wikipedia, which should contain them, and copy and paste them from there. You can also use Google Translate, if you want a symbol, which is also used in a language currently provided by Google Translate. There are other methods of inserting them into texts

12. Feb 14, 2019 #52

Unbasher

Unbasher

Unbasher

I wasn't truly offended, you know ;)

Thank you for the IPA tip.

Shotha likes this.
  13. Feb 14, 2019 #53

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

For some reason, all I can imagine now is you having your username written on your forehead and not realising it. :p

LifelongFA likes this.
  14. Feb 15, 2019 #54

1claire

1claire

1claire

I like someone who is straight forward enough to tell me that s/he hates about me.

15. Feb 15, 2019 #55

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

One of 50,298

I don't think I have had to explain to anyone what I like in a woman since high school. It's always been very apparent.

LifelongFA likes this.
  16. Feb 16, 2019 #56

Ffancy

Ffancy

Ffancy

I never told my friends I like fat guys but they figured it out by observing the series of fat guys I dated. Eventually they would even point out cute fat guys to me!

I do make a point of telling any man I’m starting to date that I prefer heavier guys and that I’m really happy with and turned on by his body in particular.

Jay78, jakemcduck, Blockierer and 2 others like this.
  17. Feb 17, 2019 #57

jakemcduck

jakemcduck

jakemcduck

No matter how many times I read/hear this it's always refreshing and never gets old.

18. Feb 26, 2019 #58

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

BigElectricKat

Are you intelligent? Staff Member Global Moderator

See, I get that. Thank you for giving voice to this subject.

19. Feb 27, 2019 #59

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

Same here, though I’ll admit, it took a little trial and error before I realized this.

BigElectricKat likes this.
  20. Mar 20, 2019 #60

RedShellBlueShell

RedShellBlueShell

RedShellBlueShell

Agreed. It was a bit of a head scratcher for me as a younger FA, especially because I thought that that flipping the societal script would be a relief for any woman I explained my type to. But I have since learned how confusing that is, and even worse: mentioning specific body parts comes off very strongly as objectification (and certainly if she has a negative image of that specific area of her body).

I think I prefer to frame things in terms of beauty nowadays. I don't have to describe my fat admiration very often, but when I do, it's handy to have a good picture on my phone! (they're worth a thousand words, after all)

happily_married and Tad like this.