My fellow video game nerds, whatcha been playing? Part 2

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

DitzyBrunette

Well, filibuster.
I blew through animal crossing but go back here and there to enjoy the seasons. It's a beautiful game :) I thought I'd enjoy the building and rebuilding process but its too much for me lol. I do enjoy seeing other peoples islands though.
I love the building and decorating, it's my favorite part of the game. But I'm a sucker for any game that allows me total creative control.

I was borrowing the remaster of Wonderful 101 for the Switch from a friend, but it is so unforgivingly difficult that I’m not sure if I’ll finish it or not. Like I love most everything about it, just not the difficulty factor. Too much thinking on your feet, too much having to swap between modes on the fly (which involves drawing symbols instead of a quick button press). It’s an SOB but I can’t help but want more. ALSO WONDER GREEN IS ADORABLE.

Attachments

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
Is anyone watching/seeing the wee rumours about the possible upcoming release of Elder Scrolls VI? Bethesda tweeted a cryptic message and it's got everyone all excited. I've really missed Skyrim, so I'm kind of excited myself.

curvluver

Is anyone watching/seeing the wee rumours about the possible upcoming release of Elder Scrolls VI? Bethesda tweeted a cryptic message and it's got everyone all excited. I've really missed Skyrim, so I'm kind of excited myself.
I have seen the posts by Bethesda, and I am looking forward to the next Elder Scrolls game. Every now and then I create a new character in Skyrim and go through some other builds just for fun. I love Skyrim (definitely in my personal top 5 list), and have played every Elder Scrolls game that has come out. I love the open ended world that they create for us, and I like to go exploring every nook and cranny, because you never know what or who you'll find.

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
Has anyone played or are playing AC Valhalla? I am trying to get into it, but it feels not as assassiny (made up word), as the others. I'm also finding it hard to get a feeling for Eivor. Maybe I just miss Ezio. I've actually shelved it for now and gone back to DBHuman and am already dreaming about Marcus. If I start dreaming about my games, then it's a good game.

Barrett

OMG, Becky, look at his belly.
DM Supporter
Do you have a link to that cryptic message, Wren? I don't see anything recent on Bethesda's twitter account for Elder Scrolls content other than mentions of the reveal this week of the 2021 Chapter in Elder Scrolls Online. (which is the game I've been playing the most, recently, and all I've done this month is log-in for the daily log-in rewards; just taking a breather after playing my butt off during the recent holiday events.)
I do still play Skyrim fairly often, though (love it!), and I've been thinking of checking out all of the earlier TES games, as well, if I can find them. (Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Morrowind.)

As far as TESVI, the last thing I heard as far as official word was that it will be released at some point after another game that they are currently working on, "Starfield," and that game doesn't even have a release date yet, so I think it's going to be quite awhile before we see anything more regarding TESVI, other than the tiny teaser trailer they showed at E3 in 2018. I've seen speculations within the Elder Scrolls player community of late 2022 possibly being the earliest for a possible release.

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
Do you have a link to that cryptic message, Wren? I don't see anything recent on Bethesda's twitter account for Elder Scrolls content other than mentions of the reveal this week of the 2021 Chapter in Elder Scrolls Online. (which is the game I've been playing the most, recently, and all I've done this month is log-in for the daily log-in rewards; just taking a breather after playing my butt off during the recent holiday events.)
I do still play Skyrim fairly often, though (love it!), and I've been thinking of checking out all of the earlier TES games, as well, if I can find them. (Arena, Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Morrowind.)

As far as TESVI, the last thing I heard as far as official word was that it will be released at some point after another game that they are currently working on, "Starfield," and that game doesn't even have a release date yet, so I think it's going to be quite awhile before we see anything more regarding TESVI, other than the tiny teaser trailer they showed at E3 in 2018. I've seen speculations within the Elder Scrolls player community of late 2022 possibly being the earliest for a possible release.
Here you go :) Elder Scrolls 6 Location Possibly Teased By Bethesda In Clever Tweet

I love both Skyrim and Oblivion! When Morrowind came out, I only had a box tv and it was too small to allow me to follow the HUD/dialog, so had to give up.

I can't help but think it's going to be a very long wait for TESVI (if it's even going to happen), considering Starfield, plus the amount of work they put into ESO. I was looking at another game yesterday, and saw the preview of Blackwood. I admit it really made me want to jump into the game, but I'm not sure if it's better as a multiplayer experience (I like playing alone), plus I'm a "stop and smell the roses" kind of player, so extensive battles/dungeons can feel more like grinding.
How do you find it? Is it worth having a crack?

The one and only time I did attempt multiplayer, I was completely slayed by the fanboys. Not fun!

Barrett

DM Supporter
Here you go :) Elder Scrolls 6 Location Possibly Teased By Bethesda In Clever Tweet

I love both Skyrim and Oblivion! When Morrowind came out, I only had a box tv and it was too small to allow me to follow the HUD/dialog, so had to give up.

I can't help but think it's going to be a very long wait for TESVI (if it's even going to happen), considering Starfield, plus the amount of work they put into ESO. I was looking at another game yesterday, and saw the preview of Blackwood. I admit it really made me want to jump into the game, but I'm not sure if it's better as a multiplayer experience (I like playing alone), plus I'm a "stop and smell the roses" kind of player, so extensive battles/dungeons can feel more like grinding.
How do you find it? Is it worth having a crack?

The one and only time I did attempt multiplayer, I was completely slayed by the fanboys. Not fun!
I play almost entirely solo. I'm not a fan of multi-player. I am also a "stop and smell the roses" kind of player. I have 17 characters, currently, but I only have one level 50 character so far, and I've been playing since late 2018. There is a lot for a solo player to do in the game.

ESO is a beautifully rendered game; the artwork is gorgeous and I love the score. How the game performs for you will depend on your computer and where you are based. I've seen some people say they've had occasional connection issues from Australia. Also, the EU servers can be temperamental at times.
(to be honest, so can the NA servers, but not to the same degree that EU sometimes can.)
Some of the in-game areas give even people with high-end gaming rigs a hard time. But that is mostly in the two PvP areas (Cyrodiil and Imperial City), and I don't play PvP.
I would consider my computer to be slightly above average, performance-wise, but not super high-end; I built it in 2015 using components that had been on the market for a couple of years already at the time, and the game runs pretty smoothly for me with the graphics set at High.

I would say it's worth a try.
You can buy the game here.
You'll need to set up an account with an email address.

As far as where to start, or what to buy...
If Skyrim is your favorite TES locale, and you feel (before you buy) like you might stick with it, I would recommend getting a version of the game that includes the Greymoor chapter.
They've been releasing content in year-long story arcs since 2019. First quarter is always a dungeon* DLC (two dungeons).
Second quarter is the main Chapter for the year (this year is Blackwood). Third quarter is another dungeon DLC (two dungeons).
And Fourth quarter finishes the year with a "Story" DLC, which ties up the Chapter. (all of the DLCs in a year are related to the chapter, story-wise.)

Last year's (2020) Chapter was titled, "Greymoor," and it was set in Western Skyrim. Solitude was a focal point. The Fourth quarter Story DLC was set in the Reach, with Markarth being the main city in the area.
A good portion of Eastmarch, along with Windhelm, is the portion of Skyrim that is considered to be part of the base game.

Oh, and ESO is set 2000 years before TES: Skyrim. (Second Era Tamriel versus Fourth Era.)

If you buy from the Elder Scrolls Online Store...
The Greymoor Digital Standard Edition includes the base game and every chapter that has been released up through Greymoor (so that would be Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr, and Greymoor). The Blackwood chapter won't be released until June, but it can be pre-ordered now.

If you're only interested in trying the game on a conditional basis to start...
The plain ol' Standard Digital Edition includes the base game and the Morrowind chapter.

* (dungeons are typically considered 4-person content, but most of the base-game dungeons can be solo'd on Normal Difficulty with a strong character, as can a scant few of those same dungeons on Veteran Difficulty, with a very hardy character. DLC dungeons are a good bit tougher, especially on Veteran Difficulty, and they usually have mechanics that require multiple people to overcome.)

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
I play almost entirely solo. I'm not a fan of multi-player. I am also a "stop and smell the roses" kind of player. I have 17 characters, currently, but I only have one level 50 character so far, and I've been playing since late 2018. There is a lot for a solo player to do in the game.

ESO is a beautifully rendered game; the artwork is gorgeous and I love the score. How the game performs for you will depend on your computer and where you are based. I've seen some people say they've had occasional connection issues from Australia. Also, the EU servers can be temperamental at times.
(to be honest, so can the NA servers, but not to the same degree that EU sometimes can.)
Some of the in-game areas give even people with high-end gaming rigs a hard time. But that is mostly in the two PvP areas (Cyrodiil and Imperial City), and I don't play PvP.
I would consider my computer to be slightly above average, performance-wise, but not super high-end; I built it in 2015 using components that had been on the market for a couple of years already at the time, and the game runs pretty smoothly for me with the graphics set at High.

I would say it's worth a try.
You can buy the game here.
You'll need to set up an account with an email address.

As far as where to start, or what to buy...
If Skyrim is your favorite TES locale, and you feel (before you buy) like you might stick with it, I would recommend getting a version of the game that includes the Greymoor chapter.
They've been releasing content in year-long story arcs since 2019. First quarter is always a dungeon* DLC (two dungeons).
Second quarter is the main Chapter for the year (this year is Blackwood). Third quarter is another dungeon DLC (two dungeons).
And Fourth quarter finishes the year with a "Story" DLC, which ties up the Chapter. (all of the DLCs in a year are related to the chapter, story-wise.)

Last year's (2020) Chapter was titled, "Greymoor," and it was set in Western Skyrim. Solitude was a focal point. The Fourth quarter Story DLC was set in the Reach, with Markarth being the main city in the area.
A good portion of Eastmarch, along with Windhelm, is the portion of Skyrim that is considered to be part of the base game.

Oh, and ESO is set 2000 years before TES: Skyrim. (Second Era Tamriel versus Fourth Era.)

If you buy from the Elder Scrolls Online Store...
The Greymoor Digital Standard Edition includes the base game and every chapter that has been released up through Greymoor (so that would be Morrowind, Summerset, Elsweyr, and Greymoor). The Blackwood chapter won't be released until June, but it can be pre-ordered now.

If you're only interested in trying the game on a conditional basis to start...
The plain ol' Standard Digital Edition includes the base game and the Morrowind chapter.

* (dungeons are typically considered 4-person content, but most of the base-game dungeons can be solo'd on Normal Difficulty with a strong character, as can a scant few of those same dungeons on Veteran Difficulty, with a very hardy character. DLC dungeons are a good bit tougher, especially on Veteran Difficulty, and they usually have mechanics that require multiple people to overcome.)
OK, so this answers a couple of questions for me, thank you :)

The first being, PC or console? I had a wee peek at the ESO forum to get an idea of which is best, but came away with more questions than answers. The most popular opinion was PC, but I have a preference for gaming on console, being that my set up is more comfortable and I also love graphics all big and up in my face. I did play Thief: The Metal Age on my PC (loved this game), but it's like my fingers got all tangled at the worst possible moments. So I prefer playing with a stick too.

Then there's the connection issue. That can be somewhat dicey for me.

Both things considered, I know that it's going to be in the back of my mind to give it a go at some point. I'll have to check my PC specs as well, but I've a felling that it would be able to cope.

The dungeon side of things may be a sticking point. I love games, but I'm not a hard core gamer, so there's no Veteran difficulty for me in anything. I go for the easy options, because "stop and smell the roses" gets me killed a LOT hehe. I don't know how many times I've met an untimely death because I've stopped to look at something pretty.

Barrett

DM Supporter
OK, so this answers a couple of questions for me, thank you :)

The first being, PC or console? I had a wee peek at the ESO forum to get an idea of which is best, but came away with more questions than answers. The most popular opinion was PC, but I have a preference for gaming on console, being that my set up is more comfortable and I also love graphics all big and up in my face. I did play Thief: The Metal Age on my PC (loved this game), but it's like my fingers got all tangled at the worst possible moments. So I prefer playing with a stick too.

Then there's the connection issue. That can be somewhat dicey for me.

Both things considered, I know that it's going to be in the back of my mind to give it a go at some point. I'll have to check my PC specs as well, but I've a felling that it would be able to cope.

The dungeon side of things may be a sticking point. I love games, but I'm not a hard core gamer, so there's no Veteran difficulty for me in anything. I go for the easy options, because "stop and smell the roses" gets me killed a LOT hehe. I don't know how many times I've met an untimely death because I've stopped to look at something pretty.
There are EU and NA servers for PS4 and XBox, and as far as I know, the game will be supported on the Next Gen consoles, PS5 and whatever the new generation of Xbox is. I haven't played anything on console in nearly six years. Except for back in the Atari Age (late '70s to mid-80s), I have always preferred PC gaming to console, though I did give my PS3 a workout until I moved in 2015, then I never hooked it back up.
That was long before I discovered ESO, so I don't have any personal experience with console play and ESO.

Anyway... with PC, there is also the option to use Add-ons (similar to the mods you could use with Skyrim; same concept).
Consoles can't use Add-ons. I don't know the exact reason why, but I think it's probably a Sony and Microsoft edict.

Other than the Add-on thing, I think the "PC or Console?" choice boils-down mostly to preference.
You CAN use a console controller with PC, by the way.

You shouldn't feel pressured to run dungeons. I rarely do (and the ones I do run, I try to solo). There is a great deal to do in-game other than dungeon-running that doesn't require formally grouping up with other people. There are a few instances where you will fight against enemies side-by-side with other players (World Bosses, Dolmens, Delves, Harrowstorms in Western Skyrim and the Reach, Abyssal Geysers in Summerset, Dragon fights in Elsweyr), but you don't need to formally group with anybody in those situations unless you actively choose to.

In most locations in the game, you can't be killed by another player.
That can only happen if you purposely go into Cyrodiil or Imperial City; the only two PvP zones in the game, and you can't go to either place by accident.
You have to queue-up to get into Cyrodiil, and it's a process. And you need to have the Imperial City DLC unlocked on your account in order to access Imperial City. You can get it for free these days, if you want it, but you have to actively choose it from the in-game store.
Cyrodiil and Imperial City are the only two locations in the game where a person is fair game for another player, so anywhere else in the game, you're safe when you're in "stop and smell the roses" mode (at least from other players)..

And it's easy enough to avoid enemy NPCs and beasts if you don't feel like fighting. You can smell all the roses you like without having to run or fight as long as you don't get close enough to enemies to alert them to your presence.

ETA:
Oh, I forgot... there's a new thing coming with the new chapter in June that will help with solo play: they are adding Companions to the game.
NPC characters that will tag-a-long with your character, assisting in fighting, questing, etc. Like they had in Skyrim.
You'll be able to level them, and gear them up, and there will be dialog between them and your character.
There will be two to choose from initially, unlocked via special quests, but they'll add more over time.
You'll need to purchase the Blackwood chapter to gain access to them.

Last edited:

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
There are EU and NA servers for PS4 and XBox, and as far as I know, the game will be supported on the Next Gen consoles, PS5 and whatever the new generation of Xbox is. I haven't played anything on console in nearly six years. Except for back in the Atari Age (late '70s to mid-80s), I have always preferred PC gaming to console, though I did give my PS3 a workout until I moved in 2015, then I never hooked it back up.
That was long before I discovered ESO, so I don't have any personal experience with console play and ESO.

Anyway... with PC, there is also the option to use Add-ons (similar to the mods you could use with Skyrim; same concept).
Consoles can't use Add-ons. I don't know the exact reason why, but I think it's probably a Sony and Microsoft edict.

Other than the Add-on thing, I think the "PC or Console?" choice boils-down mostly to preference.
You CAN use a console controller with PC, by the way.

You shouldn't feel pressured to run dungeons. I rarely do (and the ones I do run, I try to solo). There is a great deal to do in-game other than dungeon-running that doesn't require formally grouping up with other people. There are a few instances where you will fight against enemies side-by-side with other players (World Bosses, Dolmens, Delves, Harrowstorms in Western Skyrim and the Reach, Abyssal Geysers in Summerset, Dragon fights in Elsweyr), but you don't need to formally group with anybody in those situations unless you actively choose to.

In most locations in the game, you can't be killed by another player.
That can only happen if you purposely go into Cyrodiil or Imperial City; the only two PvP zones in the game, and you can't go to either place by accident.
You have to queue-up to get into Cyrodiil, and it's a process. And you need to have the Imperial City DLC unlocked on your account in order to access Imperial City. You can get it for free these days, if you want it, but you have to actively choose it from the in-game store.
Cyrodiil and Imperial City are the only two locations in the game where a person is fair game for another player, so anywhere else in the game, you're safe when you're in "stop and smell the roses" mode (at least from other players)..

And it's easy enough to avoid enemy NPCs and beasts if you don't feel like fighting. You can smell all the roses you like without having to run or fight as long as you don't get close enough to enemies to alert them to your presence.

ETA:
Oh, I forgot... there's a new thing coming with the new chapter in June that will help with solo play: they are adding Companions to the game.
NPC characters that will tag-a-long with your character, assisting in fighting, questing, etc. Like they had in Skyrim.
You'll be able to level them, and gear them up, and there will be dialog between them and your character.
There will be two to choose from initially, unlocked via special quests, but they'll add more over time.
You'll need to purchase the Blackwood chapter to gain access to them.
So am I understanding correctly that ESO isn't like a game that you have to follow through a specified corridor to get to the end? It's like a supermarket where I take what I want from the shelves and ignore the kale?

The add-ons make the PC option more appealing and I kind of squealed when I read your mention of Companions coming in the Blackwood chapter. I love games that supply a buddy.
You're making this sound all very tempting and it will probably be what I'll curl up with in the wintertime.

Thank you for all your help and the detailed info :)

Barrett

DM Supporter
So am I understanding correctly that ESO isn't like a game that you have to follow through a specified corridor to get to the end? It's like a supermarket where I take what I want from the shelves and ignore the kale?
Yup. It's very much à la carte, like Skyrim was.
There's lots to do, but you don't NEED to do all of it. And you aren't locked-in to a particular order; do what you want, when you want, WHERE you want.
It's a huge, open world, and you are free to roam, right out of the gate. There are only a couple of things that are gated to character level; can't access the PvP zones until you hit level 10 (which doesn't take long), for one, and I think you need to be level 40 to take part in Trials, which are 12-man cooperative content.
None of that is relevant for a solo player, though.

The only caveat is with your very first character. You'll be locked into a short tutorial right after you create your first character, to teach you some basics on movement and combat. But if you create any alternate characters (you are granted 8 character slots to start, but you can purchase up to ten more slots), you'll have the option to skip the tutorial on those characters.

More kale for me! Yay!
(I don't know if you can tell, but I don't discriminate against food.) 😆
(unless it's okra.) 🤢
(but, a friend introduced me to pickled okra last year, and I liked that, so...)

Barrett

DM Supporter
In the wake of the revelations from the virtual BlizzConline this past weekend, I've been playing both Diablo and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction this week.
I've been playing these games ever since they released; they are the first things I always install on my new computer builds, in addition to the Diablo expansion, Hellfire, and the D2 mod, Eastern Sun.

VERY MUCH looking forward to Diablo II: Resurrected (I've already pre-ordered it), as well as Diablo IV, with the return of my beloved werebear druid.
And the Rogue looks like she'll be a total bad-ass. 😍

Adamantoise

Existing in several dimensions
Final Fantasy VI. I hadn't completed it before I got the GBA version a few weeks ago, so I'm doing my best! I still need to finish FFV too - in good time, of course. Oh - and Growth Academy is fun, too. I'm playing that as well.

Latest posts