Secret Message Service!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

What kind of messages should be allowed?

• Positive only! Smiles all around.

• Positive AND negative! More fun, after all.

• Negative only! I realize this isn't actually an option, but I'm a jerk.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
Actually, I take back my previous statement. I've heard this one too.

Are tipping standards different in Canada? With the whole over-niceness thing, I would not think it would be a problem.
Our minimum wage for servers is higher (I think). We still tip, but it's not as necessary as it may be in the US.

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
This is true. I just moved from Boston to just outside Dallas and I'm having a hard time getting used to people I don't know smiling or talking to me. It puts me on edge and makes me wonder what they want. In Boston you don't make eye contact with other people and I'm having to really tone down the aggressiveness of my driving.
Relevant YT video.

I went through something so similar when I worked out in Yellowstone. The people who were there were so nice and easy to get along with that my northeastern inner self was expecting any or all of them to actually be hostile aliens undertaking a nefarious plot of some sort.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Ah, could be a seniors thing. Also, standards may be different here around buffets (a lot of people feel you don't really have a server, so you don't have to leave much), and package tours might get odd (would people assume that the package includes all the costs, including tips?)

Anyway, standard up here was traditionally 15%, although I think it has been creeping a bit higher on average.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
Our minimum wage for servers is higher (I think). We still tip, but it's not as necessary as it may be in the US.
Fast food minimum wage in NY is going up to $15 an hour. Its funny I know a girl going to school for medical assistant (6 month program) and that only pays like $12 starting from what I understand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MsBrightside

This is true. I just moved from Boston to just outside Dallas and I'm having a hard time getting used to people I don't know smiling or talking to me. It puts me on edge and makes me wonder what they want. In Boston you don't make eye contact with other people and I'm having to really tone down the aggressiveness of my driving.
Welcome to Texas! I've never been as far up the East Coast as Boston, but in general the people here are way nicer and friendlier than the ones I encountered living in the Washington, D.C. area.

Get used to being asked where you're from, though. Maybe I get this question more frequently because I live in a small town, but it only takes a few words for a Texan to determine that my accent is just not right.

...Yeah, this is how it is in Atlanta too, seemingly. I actually prefer it. Smiling is my go-to cover up for how anxious being around people can make me and the friendliness is very welcome. Everyone I've chatted with has welcomed me and wished me luck. I can see how it would be disconcerting though; it's a big change. Someone called me "ma'am" when they hit on me; that was new, and also kind of humorous. It's better than baby.
I'm glad to know that even you're getting the ma'am treatment, because in the Midwest it's mostly reserved for matronly types, so it makes me feel like a withered crone. It's usually the women here that call me "baby." :p

Relevant YT video.

I went through something so similar when I worked out in Yellowstone. The people who were there were so nice and easy to get along with that my northeastern inner self was expecting any or all of them to actually be hostile aliens undertaking a nefarious plot of some sort.
LOL. I don't think Texans have any nefarious reasons for being nice. It seems to me that courtly manners were ingrained into most of them from childhood, and when they attempt to strike up a conversation with you they're usually just looking to pass the time or relate to whatever momentary shared experience you're having. I enjoy the sense of community. :)

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Xyantha: The more you post, the more I like you. Feel free to drunk post more.
I will totally turn alcoholic for cans...LOL

I live 10 minutes from the border crossing for the last few years and have always found Canadians to be exceptionally nice (except Xy, but what can you do).
Shhh if the rest of the Canadians hear I will be deported...

MattB

Epicurean
MattB: You have this wonderful, dry humor that keeps me laughing, but I can't help but wish that
you would release your inner pic whore. Sincerely, Your Boss.
Thank you Secret Message person. This was nice to see tonight after driving home from my annual sales conference.

Dimensions thread synchronicity...the conference was in Niagara On The Lake... :blink:

LeoGibson

Happy
Yeah, this is how it is in Atlanta too, seemingly. I actually prefer it. Smiling is my go-to cover up for how anxious being around people can make me and the friendliness is very welcome. Everyone I've chatted with has welcomed me and wished me luck. I can see how it would be disconcerting though; it's a big change. Someone called me "ma'am" when they hit on me; that was new, and also kind of humorous. It's better than baby.
I'm glad to know that even you're getting the ma'am treatment, because in the Midwest it's mostly reserved for matronly types, so it makes me feel like a withered crone. It's usually the women here that call me "baby." :p

LOL. I don't think Texans have any nefarious reasons for being nice. It seems to me that courtly manners were ingrained into most of them from childhood, and when they attempt to strike up a conversation with you they're usually just looking to pass the time or relate to whatever momentary shared experience you're having. I enjoy the sense of community. :)
I was raised to be courteous and say Ma'am and Sir. It doesn't matter if you're 8 or 80, that was how myself and most of us were raised here. Especially if you grew up in a small town like I did. Although I usually don't use it when hitting on someone though, I usually go with Sugar or Darlin' for that. But before it gets tot aht point, there will probably be a couple of Ma'ams thrown in!

LeoGibson:If I were ever to hear you say my real name with that voice, I'm pretty sure my clothes would spring right off. That could be awkward.
It's no coincidence that this comes up after Hozay makes his return to the boards. It's you isn't it big Papi! It's not awkward at all! :D

Seriously though. Thank you to whoever you are. It's nice to be thought of sometime. Although in the interest of science, yeah science, that's it, I would like to put it to the test and see if it actually would happen!

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
Dwesterny - I know for a time you were a touch concerned about your first impression here. Don't be. You have fit in wonderfully and you are very personable and funny.

Dwesterny - if you were an animal in the zoo what animal would you be?

Hozay - It's good to see you back. I really love your enthusiasm for life and your positive attitude. I'm very happy to see things going so well in your professional life and hopefully in your personal one as well. It is awesome to see good things happen to good people. Oh and if you're still in hanging with Bigginz some, haul him back to the board too. His presence and posts are missed!

Lovelylady78 - Bring your lovely self back around. You and your awesome wits are missed. Yes I did mean to spell it with a W, because your intellect and humor is impressive. Although do feel free to bring the awesome pics back too!

MsBrightside - You're very sweet and wholesome from what I gather from your posts. I can't help but wonder after your sexy pic just what kind of fire is underneath that exterior waiting to be realized by the right person or the lucky person if it already is.

Surlysomething - Please quit letting the assclowns at HP bait you into getting timeouts. They are pros at knowing how to go right up to that line without crossing it and then pointing the finger at others when they cross over it in frustration. You may enjoy the timeouts from here but the rest of us miss your posts.

Tad - I wonder what the real you is like under your Canadian politeness. Are you the Canadian Dexter??

Undine - we toats miss you chicka. Come baaaack!

Xyantha Reborn - I love what you have brought to the boards. Your topics are always fun and you have a keen and quick wit I enjoy.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Tad - I wonder what the real you is like under your Canadian politeness. Are you the Canadian Dexter??
In person, the only TV character that I can recall getting compared to is Ward Cleaver. Sadly offline I think am not all that different, just a little crankier, less focused, and more apt to be drinking coffee. Possessing all the benign irrelevance and anti-charisma of your high school guidance counselor, that is me :rolleyes:

( … or at least, that is what I’ll have everyone believe. Insert here an almost percussive *dah-dah-dah-DAH* played on a piano)

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Thanks, whoever you are. :)

It was probably good that I had a forced break though. ;) Haha

Surlysomething - Please quit letting the assclowns at HP bait you into getting timeouts. They are pros at knowing how to go right up to that line without crossing it and then pointing the finger at others when they cross over it in frustration. You may enjoy the timeouts from here but the rest of us miss your posts.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
Dwesterny - I know for a time you were a touch concerned about your first impression here. Don't be. You have fit in wonderfully and you are very personable and funny.
[/B]
:D Thank you, thank you. Now don't make me get all Sally Field accepting an Oscar.

Dwesterny - if you were an animal in the zoo what animal would you be?
Hmmm, if you had said petting zoo I would have gone with Jack Ass, but I don't think those are in regular zoos. Two options.

Sloth if only for the name.

Giant Panda, specifically this dude.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92td3twPNU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92td3twPNU[/ame]

MsBrightside

In person, the only TV character that I can recall getting compared to is Ward Cleaver. Sadly offline I think am not all that different, just a little crankier, less focused, and more apt to be drinking coffee. Possessing all the benign irrelevance and anti-charisma of your high school guidance counselor, that is me :rolleyes:

( … or at least, that is what I’ll have everyone believe. Insert here an almost percussive *dah-dah-dah-DAH* played on a piano)
Funny comparison, and it paints a pretty vivid mental image :p, but if your personality is similar on- and offline, we're not buying it. You have plenty of forum charisma!

MsBrightside - You're very sweet and wholesome from what I gather from your posts. I can't help but wonder after your sexy pic just what kind of fire is underneath that exterior waiting to be realized by the right person or the lucky person if it already is.
Thank you--it's lovely to be perceived that way. :)

I probably give the impression of being a goody two-shoes most of the time, but I actually do have a rebellious streak that's gotten me into trouble on quite a few occasions.

WVMountainrear

Poster formerly known as lovelylady78
Lovelylady78 - Bring your lovely self back around. You and your awesome wits are missed. Yes I did mean to spell it with a W, because your intellect and humor is impressive. Although do feel free to bring the awesome pics back too!
Thank you to whomever posted this. It's nice to be wanted for the whole of me. :happy:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Thank you to whomever posted this. It's nice to be wanted for the whole of me. :happy:
It wasn't me, but whoever it was -- good point! You always have interesting things to say when you do post much of your thoughts. Everyone has their own ways of enjoying a web site, and for some that doesn't include spilling their thoughts much. But it is pretty great when you do :)

WVMountainrear

Poster formerly known as lovelylady78
It wasn't me, but whoever it was -- good point! You always have interesting things to say when you do post much of your thoughts. Everyone has their own ways of enjoying a web site, and for some that doesn't include spilling their thoughts much. But it is pretty great when you do :)
Thanks, Tad. :blush::happy:

LeoGibson

Happy
Nostalgic necropost. Just read through this fun old thread and saw how populated it was with cool people that are no longer with us or no longer post here. :(