The last movie you watched... and score out of ten - Part 2

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Fat Molly

hufflepuff hobbit
watched Rope the other day (Hitchcock) and it was, as always, fantastic. I'd rate it 8/10 only because it has a limited appeal. it's a very tense film, very suspenseful, and i definitely enjoy it, but it lacks the lushness that comes with other movies, even of the same era. it doesn't make me want to sink into the world of the movie - it has a similar feel to it that 12 Angry Men does, or Rashomon, or To Kill a Mockingbird. There's a point to it.

Fat Molly

hufflepuff hobbit
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. 8/10. Eddie Redmayne is a little rubber-faced as Newt Scamander, but the rest of the cast is good; the plot is good, and flows well, but depends heavily on the naivete of Newt Scamander. The winter scenes, and the setting of MACUSA's headquarters in the Woolworth's building are clever. There are some eerie reflections of 2016 America in the fears of a persecution of the Magical community of 1926.

Overall, well worth seeing.

One note, the AVX 3-D I saw it in keeps going in and out of focus - the regular big screen edition is apparently much better that way.

also i fucking loved the almost-overt feedee relationship in FB.

it was nice to have that represented fucking FINALLY in the harry potter world - a fat person who is a genuinely and sincerely nice person, and who also gets the privilege of being in love with someone who appreciates them and their appetites.

Am Jim

Mama Mia. Seriously, rented it the other day it was the first time I saw it. I'd give it 9.5/10.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
The last movie I saw? Well, I took a chance and gave the new GHOST IN THE SHELL movie a try.

I'm a big fan of the manga and the anime.

The movie was better than I thought it would be...it wasn't outstanding but I managed to find it entertaining.

I still prefer the anime but I'd give this a respectable 7/10.

Deacone

For Azeroth!
Watched Wonder Woman on Friday for my birthday night out. 10/10 would be empowered again :)

TwoSwords

Tonight I watched the MST3K version of The Loves of Hercules with my brother. Awful, awful movie. 2 out of 10.

ODFFA

To Walk Invisible: The Bronte Sisters -- 8/10

I became interested in watching this TV film after seeing an interview with the writer/director, Sally Wainwright. She was talking about how other period shows are too “chocolate box-y” and how “they all have the whitest teeth and you’d hardly be surprised if someone whipped out a mobile phone. I wanted it to feel more real, like the audience has been transported to that time.” She’s all about authenticity. It’s a big trademark of hers and I adore her for it.

The movie definitely didn’t disappoint. Sally did a brilliant job of exploring the sisters’ relationships with each other, and especially also the theme of alcoholism. The ending montage was pure genius and very impactful. Only reason I didn’t give it 10/10 is because: as excited as I was about the keeping-it-real thing, it did kind of take away that mystery some other period shows have made me feel. At times everything but their clothes and surroundings seemed almost too current-day, ironically. Every once in a while there’d be a moment where I’d think, “Would Emily really have had her hands on her hips like that back then? Did Branwell just call that guy a twat?! Did they say twat in those days?” Perhaps it is more accurate than most. Perhaps that awe-inspiring time warp feeling is a lie. Sally isn't one to skimp on her research. And anyway... I’m always wondering about the historical accuracy of minute details :p

Munchausen

Dedicated Amateur
Deadpool 2 - 9/10

Very socially aware if you pay attention beyond the pop-culture references. Could find even more jabs/jokes on a second viewing.

So I finally got around to seeing The Last Jedi last night. It's on Netflix! Anyway, I liked it a LOT more than the last one. The bad guy (whatever his name is, sorry I'm not a huge SW fan) wasn't nearly as much of a whiny sissy as he was in the last movie, so it's nice to see some character development. Decent action in this one. 7 of 10

Funtastic curves

In the past week I've watched 3 movies. Ocean 8, Incredibles 2, and Uncle Drew in that order.

Ocean 8....I give 9 out of 10. I loved that it was mainly an all girl cast but hate the fact they needed the guys help to pull it off.

Incredibles 2....I give a 10. I loved it!

Uncle Drew.....I give a 9 out of 10. I think it was super funny and great basketball skills but I wanted more.

Tracii

I watched a Russian film called White Tiger recently, really cool film if you are into WW II tank movies. Has a surreal vibe to it and some spooky flavor to it Lets call it tanks that are alive .
The film was very well done and not really a war movie but sort of supernatural.

Latest posts