Quantcast

The Word "Fat"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

BarbBBW

Yep, I am BACK!
I know many people that get offended by the word "fat". I am not one of them. I think that the word "fat" is so damn sexy!! Of, course I do ,.. right? hahaha.

But seriously, Its like any other word that uses to describe someone. If you are tall and someone says ,damn she is tall, but you always wanted to be short, does that hurt as much as the word "fat"?

Only you control how words affect you. Just remember, especially here on DIMS, being "fat" really is a GOOD thing! ANd there are so many men and women here that will always be supportive of that!

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Okay, I can see it your way, however...do you KNOW me? Have you walked in my shoes? By this I mean have you ever walked out to get in your car to see the word FAT spraypainted on your car in HUGE BLACK LETTERS? Are you able to sit out on your patio without the college guys next door laughing at every move you make and snickering while chanting 'lazy FAT f*ck' every chance they get? Have you NOT been invited to your only brother's wedding because his fiance didn't want to be embarrassed by the FAT sister??? Don't tell me the word FAT is just a word, because to ME it is a vile disgusting word. And the last time I looked I had the right to choose which words I use to describe myself...and FAT ISN'T ONE OF THEM!
lol ok we aren't playing the one up game. Don't flip out on me because I made a point. I never said you had to use it. Jesus.

MamaLisa

Mama Is Extraloveable!
Okay, I can see it your way, however...do you KNOW me? Have you walked in my shoes? By this I mean have you ever walked out to get in your car to see the word FAT spraypainted on your car in HUGE BLACK LETTERS? Are you able to sit out on your patio without the college guys next door laughing at every move you make and snickering while chanting 'lazy FAT f*ck' every chance they get? Have you NOT been invited to your only brother's wedding because his fiance didn't want to be embarrassed by the FAT sister??? Don't tell me the word FAT is just a word, because to ME it is a vile disgusting word. And the last time I looked I had the right to choose which words I use to describe myself...and FAT ISN'T ONE OF THEM!
Bubbles.. i can relate totally.. ive had troubled times.... if i told you one or 2.. u might even think they are worse than yours.. but this is not about who has had it worse..

its about our acceptance to the word "FAT"

the word "fat" didnt do all those things to you.. ur size and shape did.

Fat is a descriptive word that you have allowed to effect you in quite a negative and defensive way.

You can call it anything you want love.. but isnt it really .. technically.. fat?

When people call me fat.. im like.. "you think?.. " or "geez u dont need glasses" or " i know arnt i hot?"

your experiences didnt come about because of the word.. but to a certain extent how u see yourself and what u put out to the universe.

take it from someone who has come out of it the other side...

i love the word.. the word is the best physical descriptor for me whether i like it or not.

just my 2c. im over 400 pounds.

mergirl

Agreed. I can see why people hate the word fat if they hate the association of fat. I think this is sad because not only is it a fine word but it is a word which has been chosen to represent something about yourself, so why not try to embrace it or at least try it on for size for a while.
While i have never been fat (what i personally would consider fat) i might compare this to the word 'queer'. I love this word. Though, at school i was the 'fucking queer bitch', on the street 'disgusting queer' and so on. See the thing is, i might not be a bitch, not disgusting but i am queer. So i shall reclaim this word and make it mine and make it beautiful. Without 'queer' having power to all the arseholes that use it.. all they are left with are a bunch of prefix and suffix that could describe anyone. They cant distinguish me in a negative light because i have already distunguished myself positivly.
If you say the word fat over and over again in the mirror it will soon lose meaning as a word and then you can begin to reclaim it as a concept. F.A.T.. FUCKING AWSOME THANKS!!!!

circeenoir

When I was younger the word fat used to bother me(actually, looking at some old pictures, I wasn't fat at all)but I think it was how the word was used. You know that look on a persons' face when they're trying to be insulting. Now when someone says 'you're fat' with an attitude, I reply with 'I'm fat, but you're stupid' or something like that. Childish yes, but you have to consider the mind of the person doing the insulting...:rolleyes:

RobbFix

I define fat as adipose tissue. I classify over weight people as obese, moderately obese, or morbidly obese. I don't call someone fat, black, chinese (unless they are really from china) or gay. Its not because I care about your feelings, trust me, I don't. Its because my mother raised me to be polite and "judge not, lest ye be judged" I guess I took it to heart, because I don't care what you are, as long as you are civil, polite, and honest.

weetabix

Bigger Alweighs Better
Trying very hard not to use the word FAT actually ends up giving a great deal of negative power to it. It makes it like a swear word. It is also bad because what it discribes is seen as bad. When avoiding the word fat when you actually need to use the word means you are acknowledging that someone is BAD (ie FAT) but are so embarised for them that you are saying they should be as ashamed as you are.

Not being able to say FAT when required also implies that you probably talk about how FAT the person is behind their back. "I feel so sorry for FAT Mary, if I was as FAT as her I would kill myself".

I think the Little Britain Fat Fighters sketches say it well.

Mack27

AΔΦΆΓΙΑ
People might get mad at me for this. I never saw anything negative about the word fat. He's fat, she's fat, he's skinny, she's skinny whatever who cares? I prefer fat women to skinny women, its not a negative to me. I also don't see anything inherently negative about the word slut. There are sluts, most people may see that as negative but hey, people are what they are. I happen to like sluts. Sluts are people too.

Aurora

Kushy Curves
I posted this in my blog a while back. It's definitely relative to this thread!

The "F" Word

There are lots of synonyms for fat. Big, heavy, chubby, plump - but none in our society today seem to compare to the original word in zing value. I'm talking insults.

I've always been fat. Back in childhood I was teased a lot, as nearly all fat kids are. Fat was an insult. Something undesirable. Something you couldn't be if you wanted to fit in, to be popular, to be liked, and to have friends.

I say we reclaim it.

Someone coined the phrase "fat is not a four letter word" and I believe there is even a book out with this title (perhaps I'll review it some day). This is a powerful statement.

Fat is a descriptive word, just like tall, short, pretty, blue, and freckled. Because most of our society and media today emphasize that being fat is bad and undesirable, the word has become an insult. That's certainly not new news, is it? Being fat as portrayed in the media has been stereotyped heavily, and many would argue that fat equals lazy, pig-like, and stupid. It would seem the only way to overcome this stereotype is to become the fat and funny friend, because if you make people laugh then it's okay. Interesting correlations going on, anyway.

(photo of Fat Comedian Gabriel Iglesias - scroll down to see my entry here: http://fatpassion.blogspot.com/)

Don't get me wrong here, I love fat comedians. I think humor and laughing really is good medicine and I'm glad we've got fat people in entertainment and seen positively. However I don't think it's right that the only way a fat person can be allowed to show him/herself publicly is if he/she's a comedian. Great strides have been taken (and I'll be talking about many of them in later entries) but we've still got a ways to go and I think education, even through little things like a blog, can make a difference.

So back to the "F" word. Fat is bad. Fat is undesirable. Fat means you're stupid and lazy. I think we can all agree that at least the last phrase isn't true, and I'll be arguing the other two as well through this blogging experience. If you haven't noticed, I use the "F" word a lot. I'm not ashamed to say I'm fat, because it's what I am. I'm not big, I'm not heavy, I'm not pleasantly plump - I'm FAT. And there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, today, it's the norm. Statistics say that over 60% of the US population is fat, and plenty of other countries are following. We are the average, and yet the minority still controls our thoughts on size and weight. This is getting ridiculous.

So to my readers, I present to you a challenge. Reclaim fat as a description, not an insult. If you're fat and someone calls you on it, throw back a retort, something like "you just noticed this now?" Even a simple "So?" will do nicely. It took me a long time to develop enough confidence to allow the insults to roll of my back, but believe me when I say that you gain so much freedom when you learn to exclude the insults and not allow them to dwell in your daily thoughts.

Fat isn't evil. Fat isn't a horrible, negative, bad thing to be in and of itself. Fat is just fat. Just fat.

mergirl

I don't call someone fat, black, chinese (unless they are really from china) or gay. Its not because I care about your feelings, trust me, I don't. Its because my mother raised me to be polite and "judge not, lest ye be judged"
I think if i was Fat, Black,chinese and gay i wouldnt mind if you said i was..because i would be. :confused: Even if you said it all angry.."grrr you fat black chinese gay person" I would still hold up my hands and say "well you didnt really get me there technically speaking because i am all these things and none of them are bad" If you put the words bastard or whatever at the end to make the point that any one of these things were bad, then i would be insulted because you would be trying to make parts of me negative. If you didnt do that then i dont see where the negative part comes in.?

ZOMG, you should totally put this on a shirt and market it. i will gladly buy 5.
Oh man,.i have so many t-shirts i have to make from all the stuff people have said here!! :D

BarbBBW

Yep, I am BACK!
People might get mad at me for this. I never saw anything negative about the word fat. He's fat, she's fat, he's skinny, she's skinny whatever who cares? I prefer fat women to skinny women, its not a negative to me. I also don't see anything inherently negative about the word slut. There are sluts, most people may see that as negative but hey, people are what they are. I happen to like sluts. Sluts are people too.
LOL seee Mack likes meee!!! :wubu:

mergirl

Yeah, whats not to like about sluts??
Though, remember, a slut is for xmas NOT for life!! :D

Biglover

Medieval music singer
I've had many "Fat" girlfriends, and a couple that were well over 400 pounds. They knew how much I loved their size, and were happy about it. I never called them fat, and never use the word. I guess that I don't want them to think negative, because most people use it as a way to hurt someone, I think. I prefer to say, "You're my big girl" or, "My curvy beauty" as my way of being full of love, and lust for her. Now if on the other hand, she wanted me to call her "Fat" I might, just to please her, because that's what it's all about.

shellbelle

p.r.d.c.t.
I definitely run into this problem... I have no idea what context I speak of this in, but I remember saying to people "oh, because I'm fat," or "well, I'm fat" and people saying "omg, no you're not!" Now, I'm not a really big fat girl, for the most part, but I am deeeefinitely fat, so this response is absolutely ridiculous, but it happens almost every time. For the most part, I hate alternative words for fat, so I've been trying to embrace it... I like chubby, but chunky is kind of gross sounding. I also superduper hate the word obese and all varients of it.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
I definitely run into this problem... I have no idea what context I speak of this in, but I remember saying to people "oh, because I'm fat," or "well, I'm fat" and people saying "omg, no you're not!" Now, I'm not a really big fat girl, for the most part, but I am deeeefinitely fat, so this response is absolutely ridiculous, but it happens almost every time. For the most part, I hate alternative words for fat, so I've been trying to embrace it... I like chubby, but chunky is kind of gross sounding. I also superduper hate the word obese and all varients of it.

Imagine how ridiculous it is when you're over 400lbs. HA!

swamptoad

LOL ... I just recalled ... Josalynn, my wife, has used "Squishy" Minnesota .. and ummm "Fluff'n Stuff" ... hehe .... basically as chat or instant messaging handles :D

and I was also thinkin' ...

well i think the word "fat" is associated with way too many stereotypes or discriminatory remarks. :(

Some people are fat and do a hell of a lot while others are skinny and don't do nearly as much "activity-wise" ... and who catches most grief. ugh! it's just baffling that many people have it in their minds that skinny and only skinny = best health. bullshit.

lame weight-loss infomercials kill brain cells. heh. :D

MamaLisa

Mama Is Extraloveable!
I posted this in my blog a while back. It's definitely relative to this thread!

The "F" Word

There are lots of synonyms for fat. Big, heavy, chubby, plump - but none in our society today seem to compare to the original word in zing value. I'm talking insults.

I've always been fat. Back in childhood I was teased a lot, as nearly all fat kids are. Fat was an insult. Something undesirable. Something you couldn't be if you wanted to fit in, to be popular, to be liked, and to have friends.

I say we reclaim it.

Someone coined the phrase "fat is not a four letter word" and I believe there is even a book out with this title (perhaps I'll review it some day). This is a powerful statement.

Fat is a descriptive word, just like tall, short, pretty, blue, and freckled. Because most of our society and media today emphasize that being fat is bad and undesirable, the word has become an insult. That's certainly not new news, is it? Being fat as portrayed in the media has been stereotyped heavily, and many would argue that fat equals lazy, pig-like, and stupid. It would seem the only way to overcome this stereotype is to become the fat and funny friend, because if you make people laugh then it's okay. Interesting correlations going on, anyway.

(photo of Fat Comedian Gabriel Iglesias - scroll down to see my entry here: http://fatpassion.blogspot.com/)

Don't get me wrong here, I love fat comedians. I think humor and laughing really is good medicine and I'm glad we've got fat people in entertainment and seen positively. However I don't think it's right that the only way a fat person can be allowed to show him/herself publicly is if he/she's a comedian. Great strides have been taken (and I'll be talking about many of them in later entries) but we've still got a ways to go and I think education, even through little things like a blog, can make a difference.

So back to the "F" word. Fat is bad. Fat is undesirable. Fat means you're stupid and lazy. I think we can all agree that at least the last phrase isn't true, and I'll be arguing the other two as well through this blogging experience. If you haven't noticed, I use the "F" word a lot. I'm not ashamed to say I'm fat, because it's what I am. I'm not big, I'm not heavy, I'm not pleasantly plump - I'm FAT. And there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, today, it's the norm. Statistics say that over 60% of the US population is fat, and plenty of other countries are following. We are the average, and yet the minority still controls our thoughts on size and weight. This is getting ridiculous.

So to my readers, I present to you a challenge. Reclaim fat as a description, not an insult. If you're fat and someone calls you on it, throw back a retort, something like "you just noticed this now?" Even a simple "So?" will do nicely. It took me a long time to develop enough confidence to allow the insults to roll of my back, but believe me when I say that you gain so much freedom when you learn to exclude the insults and not allow them to dwell in your daily thoughts.

Fat isn't evil. Fat isn't a horrible, negative, bad thing to be in and of itself. Fat is just fat. Just fat.

Thanks for sharing love.. very interesting.. and ideal to me.. :bow:

CharDonnay

I see what you mean. It took me forever to like and use the word fat. When someone says it now instead of being offended I now say. Whats new? And happily call others fat in a nice way of course.

Latest posts