Toxic Work Environment

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by LinathSuru, Feb 17, 2012.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Mar 1, 2012 #21

Ernest Nagel

Ernest Nagel

Ernest Nagel

is old

“ACKNOWLEDGE, v.t. To confess. Acknowledgement of one another's faults is the highest duty imposed by our love of truth.” ~ Ambrose Bierce

Muchos kudos, LS. :bow:

2. Mar 9, 2012 #22

ThikJerseyChik

ThikJerseyChik

ThikJerseyChik

Sweet & Salty ;)

is to document document document.

I have been in your situation more times then not -- you will need a paper trail when you do decide to act.

Good luck!

3. Mar 29, 2012 #23

LinathSuru

LinathSuru

LinathSuru

Dreamer

Just an update for all of those who've followed this...

It seems my boss has spoken with the insensitive coworker because he seems to be much less vocal about topics involving weight and doesn't discuss claimants openly anymore.

However, with the Trayvon Martin killing the racism has gone through the roof around here. Just now insensitive coworker was showing another coworker a video and I heard the other one say "I don't understand how people can do that," to which insensitive responded, "Black people, Man."

I don't know what they were watching as I was not in the office at that time. I think this particular part of my battle is going to take longer to fight, but I mean to keep bringing to to the boss-man's attention (with lots of documentation).

4. Mar 30, 2012 #24

it's only me

it's only me

it's only me

your best bet is to get a small tape recorder & start recording that way it won't be your word against theirs also it'll be harder to get out of it. i wanted to jump in a while ago i just tried to stay out of it & keep my 2 cents to myself.

5. Mar 30, 2012 #25

FA Punk

FA Punk

FA Punk

I don't think thats legal.

6. Mar 30, 2012 #26

it's only me

it's only me

it's only me

oh i guess i was wrong, i thought it was legal :D, i remember back in the 90's when someone recorded something at a company that wouldn't promote AA's(african americans), it was something about leaving the black jelly beans at the bottom of the jar, & some how it got out to the press, i don't know if you remember it or not.
    i don't know if they found out who recorded it or not, but it was obvious there was only whites in the meeting & i quess who ever said it thought everyone else felt the same way the rest of them.

7. Mar 30, 2012 #27

grubnboy

grubnboy

grubnboy

to be honest. i actually wouldn't bring it up. the office you work in sounds like the kind of place that might let you go, since as you said earlier, they're all on the same page.

yes you are in the right to complain about it, but that's not going to stop anybody or all of a sudden change the atmosphere. in fact it will likely make it impossible for you to work there, if you don't get outright let go for some reason or another.

personally, what i would do is to hunt for another job. you've been there 3 years, a few more months won't hurt. look for another gig and when you find it, let your coworkers know how you feel as you're on your way out.

8. Mar 31, 2012 #28

Captain Save

Captain Save

Captain Save

never had a 40

LinathSuru,

from what I have gleaned of your colleagues in the office, respect and professional behavior will be a long uphill battle lasting several years at best. On one hand, your colleagues would forget completely how to behave if you weren't there to put up resistance to their misdeeds, and would open up your employer to legal situations I'm sure he'd rather avoid. On the other, life is short, and this war may soak up precious years of your own in order to effect change in what sounds like a bastion of hate driven people who may be considerably resistant to change. While it's nice to know who you're working with, I have to agree with the previous poster and encourage your efforts to find a better environment; dealing with outspoken ideological opposites every day at work doesn't sound like a healthy atmosphere, and no paycheck is worth that. You strike me as an intelligent, sophisticated and charming young lady, and I wish you the best of luck in finding something better suited to your temperament and talents.

CastingPearls likes this.
  9. Apr 1, 2012 #29

moore2me

moore2me

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank

My goodness LinathSuru, you seem to attract problem causes like a magnet attracts nails. I know this type of controversy has got to negatively affect your work place job performance. I do have a few things to add to this new development - (some of this may help you.)

First, it is not illegal in Texas to record work related conversation under two conditions. The first condition is when one of the participants doing the recording is involved and included in the conversation - recording is allowed in the state of Texas. The second type of legal recordings are ones done by the employers (especially when checking quality of service provided). However, employees should not expect privacy when using the employer's equipment (telephone or computer email) on the employer's time (working hours).

I have included a few sites that describe what the rules are in such situations. Also, many states (including Arkansas) have identical workplace rules. (These links on legal recording are at the end of my post.)

The second thought that came to me as I read your posts are “these guys in this office have way too much time on their hands – someone needs to give them more work!” If the good old boys can spend time wagging their tongues and offending co-workers with idle chatter, there is time to do some extra on-the-job duties.” It’s an excellent example of the adage “An idle mind is the devil’s workplace.”

So, a savy office manager or employer should notice or investigate and discover the wasted time and redirect employee job duties. This correction or tune-up of employees’ daily workload is not something that should be on your shoulders – this is something that a well trained or competent manager should fix. It is not your bad - it’s the man’s error and the company is bleeding money by this wasting of manpower. This is one of the problems raising our insurance and workers comp health costs – one that cannot be blamed on fat people.

And my third and final comment on this post is probably to call your attention to something you already know – racial discrimination is also a federally enforced violation of our civil rights. To bring this issue into the light in the middle of unfavorable office politics and the traditional bull pen is very, very serious business – especially for a young lady working alone. Other posters have advised it would probably be better if you found another place to work. Finding a job these days is hard and a person needs a paycheck to keep body and soul together. so quitting is also serious. However, fighting a racial civil rights issue can be dangerous – for you. Goggle “racial hate crimes in Texas” and similar searches and read for yourself if you need more info.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/news/efte/references_background_checks.html
    http://thelaw.tv/sanantonio/Employment+Law/EMP-1019
    http://www.fiddlerlaw.com/4-tips-for-recording-workplace-conversations.php

10. Apr 1, 2012 #30

tonynyc

tonynyc

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado