unpopular opinions thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Mr Gosh

I have to agree with you there. Of course no one DESERVES what happened to them (and, much more importantly, what happened to Madeleine), but how can you leave a child that young alone with your two other (even younger!) children in a strange place so that you can go and have dinner with your friends?! Even if we lived in a world where no one did harm to children, what about the harm they can do to themselves at that age? I can't understand how they can have done what they did.
Exactly the point I'm making. Surely it goes against every parental instinct to do that.

Tad

mostly harmless
I don't think that pushing people and education systems to see more people get high school--and these days university-- diplomas really helps things. Offering appropriate educational options, including co-op, apprenticeship, and applied programs while still getting people some degree of academic instruction would, I think, result in a much more useful work force than what we are doing now. That those with high school degrees and university degrees made much more than those without what only partially about the education, but more about the people and situations involved. And frankly, even those who will take mostly academic training would probably benefit from more applied experience earlier in their lives.

tl;dr: I think Shakespeare is awesome, but I don't think he's a cure-all.

LeoGibson

Happy
'reI'm with Melian, most of my opinions are probably unpopular. At least around here anyways. But what the hell, I'm feeling a bit contrary today so I'll let a few of the milder ones out.

1. Geek culture. I find it incredibly tedious by this point. Especially people pretending to be nerds or geeks, or whatever and I know for a fact they're so dumb that they couldn't spell geek even if I spotted them the G,K, and one of the E's.

2. Sci-Fi. Doctor Who? I say more like Doctor Who gives a shit! I cannot think of one science fiction show I can point to that I find compelling or even watchable for more than 5 minutes. Yes that includes Star Wars and Star Trek and pretty much anything with aliens or alternate planets.

3. Zombies/Vampires/ Werewolves. I lump them all together as in they all suck. I'm ready for all of them to slink away and fall out of fashion again for another 20 years or so.

4. Video games- No I do not play video games. Why? Because I'm no longer a teenager. They hold no interest for me at all.

5. Comic book movies or really just comic books in general. Note; I'm not talking as much about graphic novels, I tend to view them on a case by case basis. I'm talking about stuff like Batman, Superman et al. Why you may ask? See reasoning for #4.

6. Males who are deep in their 20's or even 30's and who refuse to grow up. Dude, if you are in your 20's I would rather grind out my ear canals with a router before hearing you explain the intricacies of Pokemon to me. If you're over the age of 12 I don't even want to hear that name come out of your pie hole.

There are many, many more, but these are enough for now. Some of the others would really get the flames heading my way or even a timeout from this site.

Oh yeah, and if any of your sacred cows wound up on my barbecue pit here, please save us both some time and energy and don't bother trying to debate me or explain why you like any of the things I shat upon above and why I'm wrong. I mean this in the nicest way imaginable, if you want to argue about any of these, you can just go fuck right off! Have a glorious day.:p

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
Being a philosophy major sort-of requires me to be a pretentious douche about a number of things. I won't even bother being mild.

As far as substances go, alcohol is utterly terrible. If I were never drunk again in my life, I don't think I'd be missing a thing. I don't understand how someone can experience a hangover and happily partake again. There's a number of things I'd rank above it in terms of things that should be legal. Also, no more with the abstinence only drug education. It backfires something terrible. Just tell people how to handle things safely.

A popular argument against the pro-choice side is that infants aren't significantly different from fetuses, so if you support a woman's right to have an abortion you also support infanticide. So be it. And if you can tell a child has a life-changing disability or deformity before birth? I honestly don't think you're an amazing person for taking on the responsibility of raising it. Just have a normal one.

I don't see a problem with "designer babies." Eugenics doesn't have to be bad, does it?

People need to get a lot more comfortable with death. We do far too many things to prolong life at the total sacrifice of happiness. Life support? Treatments for (relatively quickly) terminal cancer and other diseases? Staying alive purely through a cocktail of prescription drugs? That's a lot of money for very little pay-out. We should focus on accepting that life doesn't go on forever, so enjoy it to the fullest while it's still around. Also, it's entirely beyond me why physician-assisted suicide isn't an option.

Most people fancy the idea of objective morality. I think it's purely a social phenomenon with evolutionary roots. Sure, you could formulate an objective set of rules IF you had a specific end-goal. But I don't think we have that. Most of the things people universally declare "wrong" are merely things that would contribute to the demise of a very newly formed civilization. The value we place on objects and actions is merely due to the emotions they elicit - it's all neutral in the end.

Hannibal is a good movie. Very good, in fact.

On that note...cannibalism doesn't seem like a bad solution to world hunger at all *shrug*

The harpsichord is a great instrument. Someone once showed me a group on Facebook along the lines of, "When I hear a harpsichord, it feels like a million tiny pins jabbing me." I found it infuriating.

cinnamitch

nope
Basically agree with all of this. ESPECIALLY Sci-Fi

'reI'm with Melian, most of my opinions are probably unpopular. At least around here anyways. But what the hell, I'm feeling a bit contrary today so I'll let a few of the milder ones out.

1. Geek culture. I find it incredibly tedious by this point. Especially people pretending to be nerds or geeks, or whatever and I know for a fact they're so dumb that they couldn't spell geek even if I spotted them the G,K, and one of the E's.

2. Sci-Fi. Doctor Who? I say more like Doctor Who gives a shit! I cannot think of one science fiction show I can point to that I find compelling or even watchable for more than 5 minutes. Yes that includes Star Wars and Star Trek and pretty much anything with aliens or alternate planets.

3. Zombies/Vampires/ Werewolves. I lump them all together as in they all suck. I'm ready for all of them to slink away and fall out of fashion again for another 20 years or so.

4. Video games- No I do not play video games. Why? Because I'm no longer a teenager. They hold no interest for me at all.

5. Comic book movies or really just comic books in general. Note; I'm not talking as much about graphic novels, I tend to view them on a case by case basis. I'm talking about stuff like Batman, Superman et al. Why you may ask? See reasoning for #4.

6. Males who are deep in their 20's or even 30's and who refuse to grow up. Dude, if you are in your 20's I would rather grind out my ear canals with a router before hearing you explain the intricacies of Pokemon to me. If you're over the age of 12 I don't even want to hear that name come out of your pie hole.

There are many, many more, but these are enough for now. Some of the others would really get the flames heading my way or even a timeout from this site.

Oh yeah, and if any of your sacred cows wound up on my barbecue pit here, please save us both some time and energy and don't bother trying to debate me or explain why you like any of the things I shat upon above and why I'm wrong. I mean this in the nicest way imaginable, if you want to argue about any of these, you can just go fuck right off! Have a glorious day.:p

Paquito

don't July to me
I thought Star Wars was really boring when I tried to watch it. I fell asleep about 10 minutes in, and I have no interest in giving it another chance.

bremerton

uses ALL the buffalo
Here's mine: Pinterest is dumb, and boring.
i still use it sometimes, but i agree. i use it for what it was originally for- saving pictures of things you like or think are pretty. "art" "patterns" "cute animals" "pretty jewelry" but now it's just a bunch of diy crap and diet/exercise plans circlejerked amongst bored housewives.

Has anyone else but me noticed that as phones get "smarter", they get to be worse at "being phones", that is, with every new version of a smart phone, the sound quality becomes poorer and dropouts (including lost calls) become more frequent.
and surviving 3 ft drops off of tables.

I hate TexMex cuisine.
YOU MONSTER!

Actually, that's my unpopular opinion: I hate Christmas. I don't want to. I miss loving it. But my last couple of Christmases have been a letdown and I don't see how it can NOT be a letdown with the ridiculous amount of hype it gets MONTHS IN ADVANCE. Everyone gets driven into an utter frenzy of shopping and excess and there's this pressure to have a PERFECT day full of WARMTH and LOVE with your family, so of course there's arguing and disappointment and bitterness. Or maybe that's just me.
definitely not just you. couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think that pushing people and education systems to see more people get high school--and these days university-- diplomas really helps things. Offering appropriate educational options, including co-op, apprenticeship, and applied programs while still getting people some degree of academic instruction would, I think, result in a much more useful work force than what we are doing now.
as a person with a very worthless and very expensive piece of paper stating i graduated from college, i agree with you 100000x.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I think that cheating in video games is immoral. A lot of people put in a lot of time and effort into making that game for you to enjoy and by using a device to just change that coding into whatever you like you are essentially sticking two fingers up at the people who designed that game. And given that you bought the game and care enough to want to cheat at it, something tells me you should be treating the programmers with more respect.

Exploiting glitches is fine to me because they are something that already exists within the coding of the game, intentional or not. And they are fascinating. I remember seeing a video online of somebody working with a save corruption glitch in pokemon red and managing to turn the whole program into what was basically a text based calculator instead of a game. Now that is awesome.

Come to think of it, the fact that I love pokemon is probably one of these unpopular opinions! I absolutely adore the games, many of my darkest hours growing up were relieved only by losing myself in that magical world where you can tame dragons and water gods and nobody can stop you because you are your friends are going to care for each other and grow together to become unstoppable! ...this emotional attachment to the games also probably explains why I never do competitive battling. It is just too cold and clinical for me.

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy
I think that cheating in video games is immoral. A lot of people put in a lot of time and effort into making that game for you to enjoy and by using a device to just change that coding into whatever you like you are essentially sticking two fingers up at the people who designed that game. And given that you bought the game and care enough to want to cheat at it, something tells me you should be treating the programmers with more respect.

Exploiting glitches is fine to me because they are something that already exists within the coding of the game, intentional or not. And they are fascinating. I remember seeing a video online of somebody working with a save corruption glitch in pokemon red and managing to turn the whole program into what was basically a text based calculator instead of a game. Now that is awesome.

Come to think of it, the fact that I love pokemon is probably one of these unpopular opinions! I absolutely adore the games, many of my darkest hours growing up were relieved only by losing myself in that magical world where you can tame dragons and water gods and nobody can stop you because you are your friends are going to care for each other and grow together to become unstoppable! ...this emotional attachment to the games also probably explains why I never do competitive battling. It is just too cold and clinical for me.
I was 18 when I first started playing Pokemon. I was living with my sister and one Christmas my 2 nephews got Gameboys and Pokemon red & blue. Whenever they went to sleep I would take their Gameboy and play Pokemon all night. I've been hooked ever since. I also like playing the card game with them as well. Reminded me of my MTG fays back when I was a kid.

tankyguy

The harpsichord is a great instrument. Someone once showed me a group on Facebook along the lines of, "When I hear a harpsichord, it feels like a million tiny pins jabbing me." I found it infuriating.
I agree, harpsichords sound fine. If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.
I think theremins are also underrated.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
I agree, harpsichords sound fine. If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.
I think theremins are also underrated.
The theremin is interesting - but yeah, you never hear about it. I totally forgot about it until now. I think you should start making it famous :D

Here's one I forgot: I hate that George Harrison ever picked up a sitar. I can barely make it through most of the Beatles songs that heavily feature it.

LeoGibson

Happy
Ukeleles are creepy as fuck.
Ukulele's are not creepy as fuck!!

They are fine little stringed instruments. It's the people that play them that are creepy as fuck!! :eek::D Just kidding, sort of.

P.S. I forgot one last one from my unpopular opinions post

7. Cats. I for one am damned tired of all the cat pics, and memes, and cute vids and any and everything cat. As far as I'm concerned cats can go screw.

tankyguy

The theremin is interesting - but yeah, you never hear about it. I totally forgot about it until now. I think you should start making it famous :D
I wish I could say that I play, but, I've never touched the thing.

Lil BigginZ

just a NORML guy

They are fine little stringed instruments. It's the people that play them that are creepy as fuck!! :eek::D Just kidding, sort of.

P.S. I forgot one last one from my unpopular opinions post

7. Cats. I for one am damned tired of all the cat pics, and memes, and cute vids and any and everything cat. As far as I'm concerned cats can go screw.
I'm only creepy abut 85% of the time.

spookytwigg

Have an A-1 day
I honestly believe that Nirvana weren't anything special and I would rather listen to Hole.

I have nearly been punched for saying this before.

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
I honestly believe that Nirvana weren't anything special and I would rather listen to Hole.

I have nearly been punched for saying this before.
I think this is a good point, but it's not entirely fleshed out. I believe what they represented meant a lot, more so than what they produced? It's like loving the idea of someone as opposed to the actual person? Nirvana did some amazing things for a generation, but them as a musical act weren't that amazing? Something along those lines.

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe

They are fine little stringed instruments. It's the people that play them that are creepy as fuck!! :eek::D
I think the ukulele acts like a magic brain damaging ray. Just like reading too many stupid comments online can break your brain, so too can the ukulele morph you into a creepy fucker. Or maybe it attracts creepy fuckers?

I do like me some theremin.

Latest posts