What makes you nerd rage thread?

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by Lil BigginZ, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2013 #341

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up

Don't do that please no! :shocked:

fat9276 likes this.
  2. Oct 2, 2013 #342

BigCutieLaurel

BigCutieLaurel

BigCutieLaurel

I'm a girl who loves video games, book, PnPs, Doctor Who and Firefly (amongst others). And I am regularly quizzed and my nerd-cred questioned by men to see if I'm worthy of being a fan. It's kind of ridiculous. The only geek sub-culture that hasn't done this to me is PnP. Do you know what makes someone worthy or a particular genre of geek-dom? Interest! That is all. I nor anybody else should need to go through an inquisition.

Paquito likes this.
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #343

BigCutieLaurel

BigCutieLaurel

BigCutieLaurel

Have you ever watched Tabletop on Youtube? Great series. Will Wheaton seems like the awesomest dude.

4. Oct 2, 2013 #344

Amaranthine

Amaranthine

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Okay, maybe not the kind of nerd raging this thread is targeted at, but...

When people read something - mainly an article or study - and immediately take it as fact and throw it in the face of anyone who tries to argue on the contrary. My roommates were apparently bickering about microwaves and one posted this: http://usahitman.com/microwave-test/

The microwave-hating one started celebrating and it reminded me why I generally stay happily locked in my own room. People are fallible. There's no reason you should accept anything as factual just because it's written up all pretty.

fat9276 likes this.
  5. Oct 2, 2013 #345

tankyguy

tankyguy

tankyguy

Water has a genetic code. Learn sumfin' new every day.
    :doh:

6. Oct 2, 2013 #346

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Yep, everything you learn on-line is true!

fat9276 likes this.
  7. Oct 3, 2013 #347

Yakatori

Yakatori

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...

When I posted that song for you, I wasn't making fun. Ok, maybe I was joking on a certain level. But, honestly, I thought you would get something out of it, musically & culturally-speaking, that-is. And when I asked you about....living room shows...there was an earnestness in that as well. My concerns were totally real. (You still haven't really touched-on the issues of bathroom/kitchen use). The simple fact is: Hipsters and "scenes" and "scene-kids" are a reality. A fact of life. Something we all have to navigate our way around. And while I'm not trying, here, to defend every single instance that you're talking about (probably, the lion's share of which actually have nothing to do with either of us); but just that it's only fair to first deal with what's literally being-said, before reading so much between the lines.

That being said, I think criticism....a freely analytical and equally open-ended approach...directed towards how people try to make something beautiful is vital to any art. Telling people to just either "like" or ignore something is like saying they shouldn't dance. In the sense of how it's just one more level or dimension through which people can more fully engage-with a song (or anything)...to help give it a life of its own. Outside of the very limited range of existence as envisioned in the mind of its creator.

Being argumentative or difficult or, at times, combative-even, is just one logical extension of that. But, actually, it goes much further than just people fighting over which particular piece of music is better. Into how we contextualize all sorts of individual aspects, connections some of us want to highlight or maybe-even prioritize that others either have not yet made or, on hearing about it, don't think they should be. I digress. Anyway, I get that more people, on the balance, will tend to prefer just eating the sausage than getting to see how it's made? Perhaps in that way of how a just-decent poem speaks for itself more eloquently than a very good explanation of it. But let's not, so quickly, sell that experience short; which gives us (so many-of, any that really want-it) access into all of the different components and processes and mechanisms at work, which, in effect, ignites a kind of process of reverse engineering the things that have the power to awaken-us. Or put us to sleep. To know more about why and what for and how.

Well, if it's DNA she's worried-out, I could totally help her with that....Tell her it's for science....and her health!

LeoGibson likes this.
  8. Oct 3, 2013 #348

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.

I totally agree with you on everything, I just felt like I had to post to say that I wasn't necessarily talking about myself in my post. Just in general people saying "stop posting indie music, we get it you're hip" etc. It doesn't seem conducive to a thread where people are meant to share something. Is everyone going to like it, absolutely not, but there's a difference in sharing an opinion, telling someone they didn't like what was shared and just automatically being negative because you can be.

Also, I'm extremely hard to upset or frazzle, nothing you've ever posted has done anything but open my eyes and shown me different views, and I thank you for that. Everything you post is a pleasure to read.

9. Oct 7, 2013 #349

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei

So in Star Trek 12 everything that happens after the Enterprise is knocked out of warp* takes place at a distance closer to Earth than the Moon is and yet nobody on Earth notices? There are no other ships orbiting the planet that is home to the Federation and no one on the surface sends a ship up to see what's going on and why there are star-ships battling in Earth's orbit? Seriously? This is one of the best reviewed Trek movies ever?!?
    *rubs temples*

Note: I'm now officially in the "I don't get it" camp when it comes to Sherlock McStupidname's appeal.

*And if they only stopped because they were knocked out of warp 200,000 km from Earth then when exactly were they planning on stopping? One more millisecond in warp would've caused them to blow way past Earth. Jesus!

10. Oct 8, 2013 #350

Mckee

Mckee

Mckee

No spoilers, I promise.

Just saw "Gravity" and I really like it...but...a couple of things didn't sound right...

I mean...zero gravity, weightless...so, why you have to do that????

:doh:

11. Oct 9, 2013 #351

Yakatori

Yakatori

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...

Nor "Trek-keR." But I kind of like that cast. I think they look...and act...great. To me, their portrayals bring a real dimension to the characters. Not competing with originals, as much as complementing them, helping to better flesh them out.

12. Oct 13, 2013 #352

freakyfred

freakyfred

freakyfred

\_(O_o)_/

Since we're talking about Star Trek, I just got into a discussion with my sister about the things wrong with Into Darkness. Namely, why bother having Khan and why have him white. Bennjy Cabbagepatch is a fine actor but could they have at least gotten someone who bears at least some resemblance to Ricardo Montalban.

The "explanation" really bugs me too. The officers from the department Khan was in have to change their face or some bullshit. Thanks JJ, nice to know you can change a character's race on a whim to rake in more dough from bigots or whatever.

13. Oct 14, 2013 #353

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I would expect that the next Trek movie is going to involve saving the whales in the center of the galaxy.

Ender's Game on November 1st!
    Thor: The Dark World on November 8th!
    Desolation of Smaug on December 13th!

:D

14. Oct 19, 2013 #354

Archetypus

Archetypus

Archetypus

The Muppets & Lady GaGa Thanksgiving Spectacular.

Disney has ruined everything I love...

15. Oct 19, 2013 #355

Goreki

Goreki

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe

I saw a picture of that and have been trying to remind myself that the muppets have always had a thing for celebrity appearances and that it's not the end of the world.
    Certainly doesn't bode too well for it though. Ugh!

16. Oct 19, 2013 #356

freakyfred

freakyfred

freakyfred

\_(O_o)_/

That sounds cute actually. It's the Muppets so everything is going to be good ol' fashioned fun and tongue-in-cheek.

17. Jan 19, 2016 #357

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei

Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of shitty fantasy adaptations?
    Bitching is for the winter, my not-so-little lord, when "20 good men" can sneak in and out of a military camp and destroy its entire supplies. Bitching is for when it turns out you can just walk around Moat Cailin, and every major female character has a rape scene added while the king burns his only child and heir at the stake because it snows a little too much in the North despite apparently being within walking distance of Winterfell, and 2 failed screenwriters get to be the ones to end the series first.