What's on the dinner table tonight?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracyarts

I'm making chicken matzo ball soup for the significant others (who are not on a carbohydrate restricted diet) and I'm cooking myself a grass-fed ribeye steak with some green beans almondine.

Rojodi

This is amazing to me. We still use some recipes in my family that are 60 or 70 years old, but we don't have anything older than that.

I picked up some sea bass and am not sure what to do with it. I have za'atar, lemon, olive oil, basil, yellow tomatoes and an eggplant no bigger than an egg. So, something like that, I think.
It was an oral recipe she brought over from the "old Country:" at the time she left the village was part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. When she came to this city from being in Scranton PA, there were changes made to it: the meat was changed from ground scraps to a ratio 2:2:1 of ground sirloin, pork, and veal, respectively. Also, the binder was changed from bread crumbs and/or barley to cooked rice.

She taught/showed my grandmother, her daughter-in-law, who did the same with my mother. My mother told me the recipe and where to get the meat, and I watched and helped her make them the year I was married.

My son knows the recipe, has helped me make them, but rather go and get the rye bread for dinner LOL

FatAndProud

Assorted veggies, cheeses and crackers. A bit of wine for me. I felt like making something simple and healthy. These colds won't break! lol I needed some vitamin powerhouses. ;) The wine just gives me the illusion of feeling better. :p

I feel I should add that I feel horrible and it was my day off today. I don't normally drink during the day (or much at all, for that matter) :p

Last edited:

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing
Assorted veggies, cheeses and crackers. A bit of wine for me. I felt like making something simple and healthy. These colds won't break! lol I needed some vitamin powerhouses. ;) The wine just gives me the illusion of feeling better. :p

I feel I should add that I feel horrible and it was my day off today. I don't normally drink during the day (or much at all, for that matter) :p
LIES!!!

:p

Okay.. that chili fritos pizza from Papa John's sounds strangely appetizing..
I've been eyeballing that, too. Let me know if you take the plunge...

Also wondering about that pretzel pizza from Little Caesars

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing
Chicken Parmesan (but I used swiss cheese instead of mozarella on the chicken....cause that's what I had)
I cooked some sausage in the sauce, too, because I wanted to make sure everyone had enough meat

So it was was pretty much Chicken Parmesan with sausage over spaghetti

Not bad at all, if I do say so myself :D

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!
It was an oral recipe she brought over from the "old Country:" at the time she left the village was part of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire. When she came to this city from being in Scranton PA, there were changes made to it: the meat was changed from ground scraps to a ratio 2:2:1 of ground sirloin, pork, and veal, respectively. Also, the binder was changed from bread crumbs and/or barley to cooked rice.

She taught/showed my grandmother, her daughter-in-law, who did the same with my mother. My mother told me the recipe and where to get the meat, and I watched and helped her make them the year I was married.
i used to live in the scranton area. a very nice little old polish lady taught me to make stuffed cabbage. she used pork/beef mix (i use only beef) with the cooked rice and spices. she used stewed tomatoes for the liquid or tomato soup if it is all she had on hand. i tend to use spaghetti sauce. she did teach me the key is to put the meat on the thin end of the cabbage, tuck and roll toward the stalk end. that way the thickest part of the leaf is on the outside and will cook more. you can still gets a variety of lots of good food in the region. homemade pierogies, halushki, homemade welch cookies, shepards pie, pasty, la festa italiana downtown every year and the best kaiser rolls ever made at national bakery.

gosh, now i can't wait to get home for christmas. :)

tonight i made fish sticks. we had them with corn and cheese/garlic biscuits

Ms Charlotte BBW

Fantasy Land
Chicken Parmesan (but I used swiss cheese instead of mozarella on the chicken....cause that's what I had)
I cooked some sausage in the sauce, too, because I wanted to make sure everyone had enough meat

So it was was pretty much Chicken Parmesan with sausage over spaghetti

Not bad at all, if I do say so myself :D

Sounds wonderful!

Rojodi

Bacon cheeseburgers and spicy fries.
For me, an added chopped fruit and vegetable salad.

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
It was an oral recipe she brought over from the "old Country:"
Trust me when I tell you this ... write it down somewhere. One of my grandmothers was a pastry chef and made the most wonderful bread. My mom was the only person she showed how to make it. She never wrote it down and can't remember what my grandma told her anymore. I wandered into the kitchen in the middle of it, but can only remember part of what I saw and heard. Unless I can someday figure it out, that recipe is lost to us, and it makes me feel sad.

Dinner was quinoa and amaranth with a caramelized onion, apple, maple compote; smoked sausage and glazed carrots.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
It's national nacho day, so that's what we made for dinner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.