What's on the dinner table tonight?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing
This sound's really good to me. I've been craving meatballs lately. How do you do the squash?
I brown/fry up the mini meatballs then drain the grease. (to save on clean up I just make the meatballs in a big cooking pot instead of dirtying up a fry pan too)
I then add water to the same pot and let it start to boil and toss in around 4 cut up potatoes.
While the potatoes are softening, I cut up yellow squash (this is a "toss In" type of stew so use whatever kind you prefer) about four small ones or two of the big one and then toss that in.
I then open two cans of diced tomatoes (for the best flavor?Use the Italian herb flavored ones) juice and all.
Lower the heat to about medium. I then add garlic powder, Italian seasoning mix (basil and oregano), Nature's seasoning type spice mix, salt and pepper.
You can use what seasonings you prefer-trial and error has made this stew better for me over the years.
This was originally a soup my Mom made when I was a kid that an older lady friend had told her how to make--she called it "squash stew" but that name seems to not bely how really good this stew can be.
Feel free to toss in some other veggies if you like but the beef, potatoes, Seasoned tomatoes and spices are what really make it great.

P.S. Just make sure you brown the meatballs first and the rest will probably simmer up just great in a crock pot

Last edited:

MisticalMisty

I'm making crispy braised chicken thighs, my potato gratin and green beans cooked in shallot butter.

FatAndProud

Vegetarian lasagne with white sauce, stuffed portabellos, gahlic bread, and some hot italian sausages w/ gahlic marina sauce for the meat lovers.

Rojodi

Crock pot beef stew, crusty bread, and hopefully a sugar-free pie

EMH1701

I made a wrap with lettuce, olives, beets, bleu cheese, and some diced ham and mayo. It was pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group builder