What's pissing you off today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

lucca23v2

Curves for miles
This is relevant to what's pissing me off today. We try to use positive reinforcement with the puppy as much as possible. But I am going to raise my voice when he gets too rough paying and mouths my hand, just like another dog would yelp if he was playing too rough with them. What's pissing me off though, is that we can't trust him. Normally he's in his kennel all day while my boyfriend is at work and that's not ideal, it's a long time to be kenneled. Right now I'm home during the day so he's out the majority of the time, unless I'm out running errands or doing something that I need him out of my hair for, like when I clean the reptile tanks. We want to be able to trust him loose in the house without supervision so he doesn't have to be kenneled all day again when I get a job so we've been testing out leaving him alone for short periods. My boyfriend has started leaving him out of his kennel when he goes to work, so he's alone for about an hour until I get up. It had been going fairly well. Then he somehow escaped his kennel on Saturday, climbed onto a chair, onto the kitchen table, and shredded a mouse pad. We found pieces stashed all over the place for days. Today he was left alone for an hour and he took a book off the shelf, shredded it, and scattered the pieces all over the apartment. I don't want to kennel him so often, but right now we can't trust him to not destroy everything when we leave.
Unlike cats, dogs hate being alone. They do get separation anxiety. You might have to take him/her to training classes or some alternative.

I am not sure if this works, but I have seen a few dogs around NY with this on..

http://www.thundershirt.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search | NB | Dog Anxiety | Exact | USA&utm_term=dogs and separation anxiety

lille

Unlike cats, dogs hate being alone. They do get separation anxiety. You might have to take him/her to training classes or some alternative.

I am not sure if this works, but I have seen a few dogs around NY with this on..

http://www.thundershirt.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search | NB | Dog Anxiety | Exact | USA&utm_term=dogs and separation anxiety
He's been to training classes. The trainer actually works at our vet and knows him well. He does sit, lay down, roll over, stay, shake, and touch (like come but he has to touch his nose to our hand). He doesn't seem to have anxiety. Most of the times we've left him alone we've come back to him happily chewing or napping in a pile of blankets, it's the few times when something catches his interest that he just totally destroys it. Which is also what he does with toys. We can only buy kong brand because it's the only thing he doesn't shred in minutes.

I love the little guy, but he is our first terrier and he's got a lot of energy. I take him on walks every day, we play lots of fetch, and we take him to the dog park when we can (he ran around there for two hours on Tuesday). I had a lhasa apso growing up and my boyfriend had a pug that he just lost a few years ago.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
He's been to training classes. The trainer actually works at our vet and knows him well. He does sit, lay down, roll over, stay, shake, and touch (like come but he has to touch his nose to our hand). He doesn't seem to have anxiety. Most of the times we've left him alone we've come back to him happily chewing or napping in a pile of blankets, it's the few times when something catches his interest that he just totally destroys it. Which is also what he does with toys. We can only buy kong brand because it's the only thing he doesn't shred in minutes.
When you say puppy, how old is he? What breed? Because I hate to say it, but for a lot of baby dogs this is just common practise. Our Westie ate several doorframe and even chewed a hole in the wall once! He grew up to be an impeccably behaved gentleman though.

It sounds to me like he is bored. I would suggest walking him/playing with him or doing something else to really rid him of energy just before you put him away so he is so tired when you are out that all he can do is sleep. Other than that, you could try making a 'dog safe' room or area to leave him in (the stairs/hall works pretty well for us!) where there isn't anything important for him to break. And obviously, leave him tons and tons or toys and chews and the like. One of our dogs used to destroy every toy we got him when he was younger but he is so gentle with them now he's a grown up (his favourite bear, Alton Teddy, has no face from where he chewed him as a baby!). And obviously, try to only leave him for a little while at a time and build it up. It can be really, really frustrating but I am sure he'll get through this stage sooner or later.

Is there any chance he could be teething, with his desire to chew? Kongs are great, but have you tried filling them with food and then freezing them? That tends to keep a dog happy for a couple of hours! We also used to use rope-based toys as they are harder for a dog to tear to pieces and less mess to clean up!

lille

When you say puppy, how old is he? What breed? Because I hate to say it, but for a lot of baby dogs this is just common practise. Our Westie ate several doorframe and even chewed a hole in the wall once! He grew up to be an impeccably behaved gentleman though.

It sounds to me like he is bored. I would suggest walking him/playing with him or doing something else to really rid him of energy just before you put him away so he is so tired when you are out that all he can do is sleep. Other than that, you could try making a 'dog safe' room or area to leave him in (the stairs/hall works pretty well for us!) where there isn't anything important for him to break. And obviously, leave him tons and tons or toys and chews and the like. One of our dogs used to destroy every toy we got him when he was younger but he is so gentle with them now he's a grown up (his favourite bear, Alton Teddy, has no face from where he chewed him as a baby!). And obviously, try to only leave him for a little while at a time and build it up. It can be really, really frustrating but I am sure he'll get through this stage sooner or later.

Is there any chance he could be teething, with his desire to chew? Kongs are great, but have you tried filling them with food and then freezing them? That tends to keep a dog happy for a couple of hours! We also used to use rope-based toys as they are harder for a dog to tear to pieces and less mess to clean up!
He's a Boston Terrier and he'll be 1 year old on the 26th. He isn't teething anymore, he lost all his puppy teeth a while ago, he's just an aggressive chewer. We were giving him nylabones but he chewed them so vigorously that he would throw up piles of plastic. Anything with rope or stuffing he chews and swallows. He has the regular kongs, squeaky balls, a squeaky kong ring, a kong bone that crinkles, a bone that had edible filling, and one surviving nylabone. I tried filling the kong with frozen greek yogurt yesterday (not totally full) and he ate it in 10 minutes.

I play fetch with him on and off all day. We can take him to the park and he'll run for two hours, nap for 10 minutes in the car on the way home, and be ready to go again as soon as we get back. At night he will get sleepy and curl up in my lap if we're watching a movie and he will nap if I have him out all day (while I study or something or in the bathroom while I shower), but other than that he goes pretty much non stop.

I would love to do a puppy proof room but right now we're in a one bedroom apartment and there really isn't anywhere to do that.

ETA: Right now all walks and park time have to be early morning or after the sun starts to go down because it's been 106 F aka 41.1 C

lille

We absolutely adore the little guy and 90% of the time he's great. I just feel bad about crating him. He's a baby and we know he's still learning. Right now I'm trying to teach him not to put his paws up on me when he wants to play because he scratches up my legs. I am teaching him to sit in front of me instead.

Rojodi

Our new fuzzy furry Calico decided last night I was NOT allowed to sleep in bed, woke me up at 3 because she wanted my side of the bed.

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
That comedian is funny dwes (I'm going to go with that as a nick and see how you take to it)

Loopy - I feel you. Ironically, because of the way I train my dogs and where I train, I find being around the majority of pet owners who even care about their pets intensely stressful. They are like I love my dog! Then they yell, make ugly faces at it, yank on it's collar, push it around... I have to restrain myself from slapping them. My trainer doesn't even allow "Ah!" or "NO!" on her property. Being in a large group is to hear quiet corus's of, soft, "Yes. Good. Yes." So it is super jarring to hear the screams and growled tones.

It's even worse when people don't take care of their animals. So many people are like "well, he is a rescue so he should be happy he isn't in a cage." I'm like...um, what? Why did you bother to rescue him just to stick him in another hellhole where he is neglected?

-----

I have a beef with the new laws coming into effect this fall. Specifically, the laws around bikes. Now, living where I do, I am positively inundated with the f*ckers. Now - before I continue, I believe in biking for health, for the environment, etc. I believe cars need to be responsible and share the road. I do not hate all bikers, but I hate those who believe, and effectually are, privileged.

What makes me so mad is watching bikers break the law over, and over, and over. Endangering themselves and others. Watching them fly through stop signs, blow through red lights, weave in and out of traffic. And then they take to the foot path where I walk my dog and almost hit children and others with no care in the world. I saw a guy just today almost get hit because he blew through a 4 way stop while making a left turn. The car, who had legally come to a full stop, had to slam on it's breaks to avoid tapping him.

Now, instead of cracking down on the poor biking enforcement, they are introducing laws that say I cannot drive within 3 feet of a biker. Conceptually? ABSOLUTELY. Practically? No!!!! If there are only two lanes, and the right lane is full of parked cars, what am I supposed to do? Coast along at 10km an hour across the entire city....because I can't legally cross over into oncoming traffic to get by them, and I can't pass within 3 feet...and that is like half a lane.

Build the correct infra for bikes. Make them obey the laws. Ie; give them a safe place to play and slap their wrists with fines when they don't! Some of those bikes are EXPENSIVE. Repeat offenders should get their bikes taken away.

What I mean is...they are the rules of the road. Not the rules of the cars. If you share the road, obey the rules...
They should release that bike thief who hoarded the thousands of stolen bikes. LOL.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
This is relevant to what's pissing me off today. We try to use positive reinforcement with the puppy as much as possible. But I am going to raise my voice when he gets too rough paying and mouths my hand, just like another dog would yelp if he was playing too rough with them. What's pissing me off though, is that we can't trust him. Normally he's in his kennel all day while my boyfriend is at work and that's not ideal, it's a long time to be kenneled. Right now I'm home during the day so he's out the majority of the time, unless I'm out running errands or doing something that I need him out of my hair for, like when I clean the reptile tanks. We want to be able to trust him loose in the house without supervision so he doesn't have to be kenneled all day again when I get a job so we've been testing out leaving him alone for short periods. My boyfriend has started leaving him out of his kennel when he goes to work, so he's alone for about an hour until I get up. It had been going fairly well. Then he somehow escaped his kennel on Saturday, climbed onto a chair, onto the kitchen table, and shredded a mouse pad. We found pieces stashed all over the place for days. Today he was left alone for an hour and he took a book off the shelf, shredded it, and scattered the pieces all over the apartment. I don't want to kennel him so often, but right now we can't trust him to not destroy everything when we leave.
I always hesitate to give animal advice, because for many it is equivalent of being given parenting advice , but I'll just say...most dogs literally find a spot and curl up and sleep in it all day when we are gone. So being crated, especially if he is used to it, would only represent a safe place to sleep. Try not to feel too guilty...think of it as a kid having to sit in their desk for most of the day, except instead of being forced to sit there for almost 8 hours, they get to curl up and sleep on a pillow...

Also, at 1, they are at their "worst" age - their hormones make them forget most of what they learned, and their impulse control goes way down. He should get his brain back in a few months.

lille

I always hesitate to give animal advice, because for many it is equivalent of being given parenting advice , but I'll just say...most dogs literally find a spot and curl up and sleep in it all day when we are gone. So being crated, especially if he is used to it, would only represent a safe place to sleep. Try not to feel too guilty...think of it as a kid having to sit in their desk for most of the day, except instead of being forced to sit there for almost 8 hours, they get to curl up and sleep on a pillow...

Also, at 1, they are at their "worst" age - their hormones make them forget most of what they learned, and their impulse control goes way down. He should get his brain back in a few months.

I appreciate it. Logically I know that when we crate him he sleepspst of the time. He's typically half asleep when we let him out. I'm just not used to leaving a dog crated because I was only 5 when we got our Lhasa and don't remember him being crated and my bf's pug could be left alone at this age.

Rojodi

Being called a racist name by someone supposedly well educated, and when he is educated as to the meaning of the word by others around, he refused to offer an apology!

lille

My flight for this afternoon keeps getting delayed and I have a connection I need to make.

balletguy

The weekend is comming up, but I have to do a bunch of stuff around the house. Doubt I'll get to kickback at all before monday..

MattB

Epicurean
Postscript to my long work rant on the previous page...they had held back shipping that new product after all, saying they needed to address something first. This can usually mean a labeling issue, but in this case it was an actual issue with the product they discovered during final testing. So they just announced today, no one gets to sell it for at least another month. The excitement has deflated like a balloon, with the appropriate sound effect...

I'm off to our annual AGM next week. Three days of spin, cheap motivational tactics, role playing, and the most ridiculously competitive volleyball games ever. If I get a chance, I'll do a post a day in this thread...

Latest posts

Group builder