BHM Dolls (Not What it Sounds Like)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

kittymahlberg

So I'm going to come out . . . as the crazy doll lady. Sort of. I only have a couple collector's dolls of my own, but have lately gotten into painting, costume design, and general customizing of dolls, mainly what are known as Asian ball jointed dolls or BJDs. (Those with pediophobia or fear of dolls, do not look these up--some of them look so alive my husband has confused them for photos of people when he walks by the computer!)

I've also begun sculpting dolls, and am learning about how to reproduce my clay sculptures using various techniques and materials. So one night, I come across a video of this guy in Japan who makes customized replacement parts for a particular brand of anime doll. Specifically, he produces soft chest pieces with gigantic, soft, squishy, jiggly silicone boobies.

I'm like, "Ugh, so dumb, much weird, why guys like boobies so much?"

And then I come across a thread where people are debating materials for (what I think are rather creepy) super-realistic infant baby dolls, and one objects to the very soft silicone because it feels too "squishy" and "quivering."

And suddenly I'm like, "But wait--this means I could sculpt something that was big and squishy and jiggly ALL OVER and especially in the TUM."

Not like a sex doll--get your mind out of the gutter! Just a mini-BHM for admiring and squishing affectionately. Le sigh.

#howmymindworks #IamnobetterthanJapanpervdollmaker

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
Haha! Jiggle and squish OBVIOUSLY go hand and hand with belly!

Now i am intrigued, and will have to look this up tomorrow

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Daaaawww, that would be adorable! If you do end up making something like that I think we'd all love to see pictures!

EDIT: Also, does 'BHM Dolls' sound like the name of a gay boyband to anybody else, or just is it me? =p

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Maybe I'm weird ..... but a soft, cuddly fluffy teddy bear was always inanimate BHM enough for me. No need for realistic humanoid dolls in full plastic. But I always prefered my stuffed animals to dolls anyway - and my mother outright prohibited Barbie's because she considered them sexist.

rabbitislove

24 Carrot Magic
Maybe I'm weird ..... but a soft, cuddly fluffy teddy bear was always inanimate BHM enough for me. No need for realistic humanoid dolls in full plastic. But I always prefered my stuffed animals to dolls anyway - and my mother outright prohibited Barbie's because she considered them sexist.

I was in a similar boat. I loved making up stories with my Ken dolls, but it was always the big cuddly teddy bears I snuggled with at night. :)

tankyguy

I looked up the ball jointed dolls and this is very interesting to me because there seems to be some overlap in disciplines in creating dolls and sculpting CGI characters on the computer. The unpainted dolls and in-progress sculpts people post look exactly like unpainted character sculpts in a 3d modeling package.

I'll probably end up hunting down doll painting and sculpting tutorials now to see what I can apply to my own work. :p

Additionally, as 3d printing technology becomes more advanced and available, there's the possibility for a lot of convergence; many collector's quality fantasy statues and action figures are already being sculpted in 3d programs.

kittymahlberg

loopytheone: It does, and if it existed, I would instantly check it out, and be disappointed it was not truly relevant to my interests!

tankyguy: Yes, absolutely! A lot of these dolls are now being created using 3D printers. One of my favorite ball-jointed projects is a 3D-printed dragon that can curl up in your palm. If I didn't like working with my hands so much, I'd be learning CGI modeling for my doll projects. There's even a fab lab just down the street from my house.... But after a long day at the office in front of a computer, I like doing something tactile that doesn't involve a screen, you know?

This is definitely a long, long term project, though. Silicone in the necessary grade is very spendy. But the big barrier is figuring out the best kind of internal structure, so the finished product is stable and poseable. This will require TONS of experimentation, in addition to all the time that sculpting and mold-making require. I've actually found stop-motion animators to be a good source of tips. Also fans of the . . . ahem . . . other kind of dolls. :doh:

Angelette

Thought I revive this old discussion.

While I don't collect dolls. I do collect anime figures on the other hand and BHM body types are a unicorn in the Japanese figure market. The selection is mostly skinny Bishōnen and maybe some baras here and there.

I'm an aspired 3D artist who has a niche interest in papercraft models. My goals in mind is to someday create my own templates based on my made-from-scratch characters. Eventually after when I practice with ripped game and MikuMikuDance models. (which aren't mine, of course) In case if anyone is out of the loop.
4637640866_9aeb78b597.jpg

I could finally create some anime-styled hunky and chunky men paper figures! I had these sexy concepts floating around in my head in terms of designs. Such as a stripper (think Chippendales Farley), cowboy, football jock, or just some gentleman handing out Valentine's chocolates/flowers.

I have this ambitious pipedream of making these hunks castoff! For those unaware. It's a term in the anime figure community where the company adds this bonus where the character has removable clothing. However, that will be tricky to do with paper than PVC. I wonder if I can just go with fabric clothing? Help me out BJD enthusiasts!

My skills aren't refined at the moment. But I'm still aiming to do this someday! What do you guys think?

Latest posts