Cakes, Cakes, Cakes

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
Wait, I'm confused. Is this thread only for showing what we-personally have made? Or could I just show any piece of cake I'm about to eat?

Shotha

DM Supporter
I love date and walnut loaf. It's a cake baked in a small bread tin. I always have a slice of it, when I have lunch at my favourite café in town. It's one of the few things that I miss because of our current lockdown/restrictions.

FFAFarmher

My hubbys cousin/boss's birthday was Labor day. I made a belated birthday cake for him. He's big hunting enthusiast and I seen the silhouette design and tried it out. A little tricky but time, Tylose powder, and an exacto knife got it done. *PS* my piping job sucked (was better than the cake he got from the store tho) was my first time piping vertically on a cake.

65914.jpeg65916.jpeg65915.jpeg
65911.jpeg

Next cake coming together is a chocolate covered strawberry cake. Chocolate cake, whipped ganache and strawberry filling, and strawberry ermine buttercream.

FFAFarmher

@DazzlingAnna @littlefairywren Here is the complete recipe for the cake! There is a couple of components lol 🤣 The recipe is for 2 8 inch round cakes. But you can adjust as you need.

~Wacky cake~

Yields 2: 8 inch round pans

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
2 tsp soda
2 tsp salt
1 cup veg oil
2 tbsp vinegar
2 cups hot water

Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Add oil, vinegar and water. Mix until combined. Pour in to greased pans bake @350F for 25 minutes until tooth pick comes out clean. After 5 minutes, turn upside and wrap in plastic. Let cool.

~Strawberry filling~

1 pound strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water (divided)
1/3 corn starch

In pan cook strawberries, sugar and 1/2 cup water. Until berries are soft lightly mash. Bring to boil. Make corn starch slurry with cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Boil until thick. Let cool and set. *I prefer to use 2 tbsp unflavored gelatin but ran out*

~Whipped ganache~

220 grams heavy whipping cream
220 grams chocolate (chocolate of your liking. I use at least a 40% and chips I find are fine to use)

Warm heavy cream in microwave safe bowl, until hot but not yet a boil. Add in chocolate let sit for a few minutes, stir until combine and most of chocolate is melted. Whisk until smooth and shiny. Let set until firm. With stand mixer and whisk attachment or hand mixer. Whip ganache until it color lightens and is airy.

~Strawberry Ermine Buttercream~

340 grams sugar
85 grams flour
454 grams whole milk
454 grams butter soft unsalted
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp strawberry juice and/or strawberry jam (*Or to taste. You could add strawberry essence but I think real strawberry tastes much better)

In sauce pan on med/high heat whisk together sugar, flour and milk. While stirring constantly, cook until thick and boiling. Once to a boil cook for 1-2 minutes. Cool to room temperature (it's tempting to put in the fridge but if it's cold your buttercream will be a little curdle looking). In stand mixer with paddle attachment or hand mixer. Beat butter for 2-3 minutes until pale in color and fluffy. In small amounts add the room temperature thickened flour mixture to the butter. Add the vanilla, salt, and strawberry. Beat on med/high until well combined and smooth, could take a few minutes.

~Assembly~

Once all components are ready. Slice cooled cakes in half to have 4 layers. Pipe ring of buttercream around outside of cake layer. In one of two methods fill the cake. 1) pipe a circle of ganache inside the ring of buttercream, then a ring of strawberry inside the ganache, again a ring ganache inside the strawberry and again a ring of strawberry inside the ganache. 2) Pipe ring of buttercream around the layer of cake. Spread a even layer of ganache, scoop out a dip/hole on top of the ganache fill with strawberry. Repeat process for each layer. Crumb coat with light layer of buttercream. Chill for 20/30 minutes to hour until buttercream is firm. Frost the cake with the remaining buttercream. Decorate cake as you want. I'm personally doing a ganache drip and chocolate covered strawberries.