comic book nerds UNITE!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

disconnectedsmile

RATING: AWESOME
oh Marvel, will you ever learn?

The bold statement was made at the recent ComicsPro retailer summit in Texas. David Gabriel, Senior Vice President of Sales at Marvel said, “As a result of the Fantastic Four sales and media coverage, Marvel is going to kill a main character every quarter.” He then made sure to say, “This is not a joke.”
Marvel Killing Characters For Money? (via Newsarama.com)

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Didn't we already do this in Smallville with the Red/Blue blur? A grounded Superman is mainly a boring Superman. Yawn.
Will it be a yawner...perhaps the writers can come up with a winning formula or miss the mark... Superman often comes across as a Big Blue Boy Scout

As for various film versions of Superman – it depends what you were exposed to….

The George Reeves version originally aired in 1952 on TV (shown in reruns as late as 2004). The 1st season was played with no nonsense and many of the villains on that show often appeared as gangsters in B-Rated movies and or other crime tv shows.

This is a condensed version of the Superman TV show – one thing to note is that in the flight sequence they used wires…

Can't go back to this interpetation either.. been there done that

Adventures of Superman- The Mind Machine – George Reeves - 1952

And on the subject of goldern age heros...

Batman has done well - as long as you don't bring in any sidekicks...

Captain America is another matter...These days one will wonder what’s in that magic elixir – it certainly isn’t Wheaties ;)

Marvel Cartoons –Origin of Capt. America (1960s)

Also...I recently saw this DVD which goes into the History of DC comics – this is the trailer below

Secret Origins- History of DC Comics

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
Red boots you fuckin' TV fucks! RED BOOTS!

It's just not gonna work. It's going to make Power Rangers look like an ILM production. You need someone who is exotic, otherworldly, Helen-of-Troy mythical in beauty. This is a beach blonde who dyed her hair black and bought a cosplay outfit off eBay.

For a while I thought Morena Baccarin from Firefly and V would be a shoo-in for the part, simply because she had the looks and toughness to pull it off.

Can we just put it to bed and agree that TV Wonder Woman lived and died with Lynda Carter? Pretty please?

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Red boots you fuckin' TV fucks! RED BOOTS!

It's just not gonna work. It's going to make Power Rangers look like an ILM production. You need someone who is exotic, otherworldly, Helen-of-Troy mythical in beauty. This is a beach blonde who dyed her hair black and bought a cosplay outfit off eBay.

For a while I thought Morena Baccarin from Firefly and V would be a shoo-in for the part, simply because she had the looks and toughness to pull it off.

Can we just put it to bed and agree that TV Wonder Woman lived and died with Lynda Carter? Pretty please?
Yep... Lynda Carter pretty much owned the role... can't see anyone else doing it now

disconnectedsmile

Yep... Lynda Carter pretty much owned the role... can't see anyone else doing it now
i'm also not sold on the characterization of Wonder Woman at all.

* Identifies with ET the Extra Terrestrial when his movie comes on TV.
* Really loves planes. Like really.
* Pines for Steve like Carrie for Big.
* Wants to belong and be “among” people, not just “with” them.
* Sings along to the radio in multiple scenes – but nothing with a hairbrush in front of the mirror just yet.
* Doesn’t like being “marketed, commercialized, merchandised”, though she is – there’s a joke about Wonder Woman tie-in dolls having their costumes redesigned that seems to reference the recent makeover for the comics.
* When she’s Diana Prince she’s a mousey Miley Stewart, when she’s Diana Themiscyra she’s the Hanna Montana of businesswomen, and when she’s Wonder Woman she’s Wonder Woman – which is precisely twice in the whole episode.
* Is a capitalist.
* Puts on her PJs for an ice-cream filled sleepover with best friend Myndi.

(SOURCE: Wonder Woman TV Pilot Script Dissected via bleedingcool.com)

sounds like Ariel from The Little Mermaid to me.

Rojodi

Because yet another reboot is going to so help their bottom line. :doh:
If this reboot is successful, will it cause Marvel to follow? I hope so, maybe then we'd get a graphic novel of the 1973 series, "Avengers vs Defenders." God, I had the entire series, bought is as each comic came out, read them again and again. Saved them until I was 18, when my mother's bf sold them, along with the rest of my collection, to pay for his drug and alcohol addictions.

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
If this reboot is successful, will it cause Marvel to follow? I hope so, maybe then we'd get a graphic novel of the 1973 series, "Avengers vs Defenders." God, I had the entire series, bought is as each comic came out, read them again and again. Saved them until I was 18, when my mother's bf sold them, along with the rest of my collection, to pay for his drug and alcohol addictions.
I think they should have one epic finale, The Punisher and Batman vs. DC and Marvel Universe. Frank and Bruce take out every single stinking one of them, then fight to mutual destruction. And you wouldn't have some stupid Superboy Prime thing going on, because Bats would have taken him out ahead of time with a laser pointer and a jar of lemon zest (don't ask me how, he's the goddamn Batman, not me).

bobbleheaddoll

loves her bhm!
see...and i thought dims was a safe place to get away from comics...lol. i am married to a comics collector (and former dealer), self publisher and overall comics junkie. he is mainly into legion of superheroes...but has cases upon cases of comics. yes, they are all lovingly bagged and boarded...lol. they have their own special comic boxes and everything...fun..except when we have to move them to get to stuff...

right now he is powering up for heroescon...held right here in beautiful Charlotte, NC. It is the largest comic convention in NC. I am pretty sure outside of dragoncon..it is the biggest in the southeast. He is so psyched!

the good part is he is very easy to shop for...although the silver/golden age stuff can be crazy pricey...he gets comics for most major holidays.

at least he gave up collecting those little statues...

much love to all the comic geeks!

disconnectedsmile

I think they should have one epic finale, The Punisher and Batman vs. DC and Marvel Universe. Frank and Bruce take out every single stinking one of them, then fight to mutual destruction. And you wouldn't have some stupid Superboy Prime thing going on, because Bats would have taken him out ahead of time with a laser pointer and a jar of lemon zest (don't ask me how, he's the goddamn Batman, not me).
the only flaw in this idea is that it doesn't actually exist

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up
my 2005 edition of the She-Hulk comic came in the mail yesterday,so good! :happy::D