ESPN's take on life at a bigger size.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy
A decent article (there's a video segment too, but it's pretty lame) from ESPN about daily challenges when you're the size of a typical NFL offensive lineman (Over 6 feet tall, generally around 310lbs). The athletes in the article echo a lot of sentiments people have voiced here in various threads, and goes to some pains to debunk some myths about big folks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?page=hotread11/bigmen

At the bottom you can click and read comments people have made about the article. I had assumed that the majority of opinions would be sympathetic, seeing as they're written by sports fans who you would expect would have a kind word for the athletes they root for. However, the comments are definitely a mixed bag. Some supportive, many caustic, and some from big men with personal anecdotes. I should mention that I usually avoid reading the public opinion section after sports articles because the vast majority quickly degenerate into childish, envious, and occassionally racist vitriol, even for articles having nothing to do with social issues. So I'm not sure if the negativity is driven by anti-fat bias, or just general pettiness.

Enjoy the read.

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Buffalo! :D

(Sorry. Could not resist.)

Taco Bell, Walker explains, is a rare jewel in Buffalo, sort of like a coatless day in December. There are very few of them in town. The closest one to Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the Buffalo Bills, is a stomach-rumbling 15-minute haul in light traffic.
That's because no one wastes their time with Taco Bell. They go to Mighty Taco, which is EVERYWHERE.

p.s. I didn't wear a coat in December in B-lo a lot of the time. :|

MuleVariationsNYC

Math ap Mathonwy

That's because no one wastes their time with Taco Bell. They go to Mighty Taco, which is EVERYWHERE.

Yeah, I thought that Taco Bell quote was the dumbest line in the article. I can't get behind you on the whole "no coat" thing though. As soon as the temp drops below 40, I've got 5 layers of clothing on, even after many, many years in Ro-cha-cha. I've got no insulation :)

sprint45_45

Yup, why go to taco bell when you got the best fast food in the world.

The only time i ever where a coat is when i go snow boarding.

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Yeah, I thought that Taco Bell quote was the dumbest line in the article. I can't get behind you on the whole "no coat" thing though. As soon as the temp drops below 40, I've got 5 layers of clothing on, even after many, many years in Ro-cha-cha. I've got no insulation :)
See, now I wear flip flops into the high 30s. Though, when I DO get cold, it happens fast and furious and I gotta break out the thermals.

Yup, why go to taco bell when you got the best fast food in the world.

The only time i ever where a coat is when i go snow boarding.
Migh-ty ta-co, migh-ty ta-co...

Man, gotta hit that up when I'm in WNY next.

Shirtless Guy

Great Article...I know how those guys feel about alot of things...I also know the strange looks I get on the soccer field when I decide to play...people are surprised with how well I can play in bursts...big guys can be in great shape and still be big. Although I must admit I'd have less aches and pains if I could lose a few pounds.

Latest posts