Loopy's Lusciously Lavish Lair

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by loopytheone, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Aug 16, 2019 #101

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

Love the beach! I’ve already promised myself the next full moon on a clear night I’m heading out to the beach and walking for a long time.

Tad and loopytheone like this.
  2. Aug 17, 2019 #102

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

I got to watch fireworks on the beach during my holiday, that was incredible!

ODFFA and Tad like this.
  3. Aug 18, 2019 #103

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

What a beautiful mermaid!

loopytheone likes this.
  4. Aug 19, 2019 #104

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Awww, well thank you! I've had a few people call me a mermaid because of my hair over the years, hehehe~

Tad likes this.
  5. Aug 21, 2019 #105

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Also, random confession time: I've fallen in love with the band Queen all over again for absolutely no reason.

Videos of the band members interacting give me strength, ahaha.

6. Aug 26, 2019 #106

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

Have you seen the Bohemian Rhapsody movie?

7. Aug 26, 2019 #107

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

No, sadly I missed it when it came out and I don't think it is on Netflix at the moment? I want to though, I've seen a lot of clips from the movie.

8. Aug 26, 2019 #108

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

SSBBW & FFA

If you love Queen, you have to see that movie!

loopytheone likes this.
  9. Aug 26, 2019 #109

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

I saw Queen in Paris in 1986, on what turned out to be the last tour with Mercury. I was not as huge a fan back then, being as excited by the opening acts (Marillion, Level 42, Belouis Some). But I could kick myself now for not ditching my friends so I could get up near the stage. I wanted to be on the field, but they wanted to stay in the stands, and it was a big field (horse racing track) so we couldn't see much from where we were sitting.

I came to appreciate Queen more later on.

loopytheone and LeoGibson like this.
  10. Aug 27, 2019 #110

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Oh wow, I can't tell you how insanely jealous I am, Tad! That is so awesome, even if you didn't get to see much at the time!

Being british and born around the same time as Freddie's death (and the consequent media focus on Queen and their music) they were a band I grew up listening to a lot. One of the few bands both my brother and sister liked and honestly, I'm just in awe of people who are really talented at things. And all of Queen's members are incredibly talented, both musically and otherwise and I think that is fantastic.

Also, I think I'd like to adopt Brian May and Roger Taylor as my grandparents. They are amazing and I love seeing their interactions. Also, bonus points for both being science types, like me.

Tad likes this.
  11. Aug 27, 2019 #111

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

For me growing up, Queen seemed like of my older siblings era. Songs I'd heard on the radio growing up, that were good and all, but not the 'new' stuff I was looking for as a teen.(I followed the pattern of latching on to the new sound myas of early teens and thinking it was amazing, while looking down on older stuff. It took until I was in University to gain any real appreciation of music from before about 1982, lol)

Anyway, if I could penseive my memories like in Harry Potter, I'd totally share that one with you.

loopytheone likes this.
  12. Aug 28, 2019 #112

agouderia

agouderia

agouderia

Library Girl Staff Member Library Mod

Along the pop-history time-line, I also belong to the post-Queen era. By the time I started by teen music phase, Freddy Mercury and his band were on their way to becoming classics. But they immediately had me - after all, how could I resist songs in which Marie Antoinette appeared in the lyrics... ??

loopytheone likes this.
  13. Aug 28, 2019 #113

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Oddly enough, I was never really into finding new bands/sounds even as a teenager. I guess it might be because I sort of moderately like most styles of music so whatever is around at the time is fine by me. There's just a handful of bands who's sound I really, really like and it doesn't seem to matter if they are modern or older bands. And I would absolutely love to share that memory, if only we could! I think they need to make some sort of memory sharing machine or something, it would be amazing.

Haha, exactly! They were sort of classics when I was growing up, but that's never bothered me. I spent a long time as a teenager/kid trying to figure out the meaning of a lot of Queen lyrics, I think the mystery made it more entertaining! I also love the fact that all of their songs are written by the band members, which I didn't realise growing up. It's really rare to get four people who are all extremely talented and have them work together like that.

I'm not the biggest fan of Adam Lambert, the singer they tour with now, but I'm considering trying to get tickets for a Queen concert when they tour England again. Just because Brian May and Roger Taylor are in their 70s now so this is likely the last chance I will ever get to see them play live.

Tad likes this.
  14. Aug 28, 2019 #114

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

(sorry for this long post about me in your thread. I have a blackberry again and feel - can type properly, and got carried away)

I grew up in a house without much music. My father had never forgiven rock and roll for killing off the big band sound (he was about twenty when Elvis broke out, at that age some would embrace the new but he didn't). So the radios in our house and car were mostly tuned to the CBC, our equivalent of the Beeb.

When my older siblings began to listen to music on the radio it was the height of 70s rock in all of its overblown glory. Eight minute songs, extended instrumental solos, and all of that. It was honestly a bit much for a kid.

Then punk and disco happened, driving that sound off the radio mostly. I didn't get disco and true punk didn't get much commercial radio play where I was. But about the time that I got my own radio and then a cassette player, post-punk rock 9ame around. With all it's existential angst and cynicism about the world, it was perfect for me at that age. It took some time and maturity to appreciate the amazing music that had come earlier.

Here were a couple of the more positive songs 15 year old Tad listened too constantly

Yakatori and loopytheone like this.
  15. Aug 30, 2019 #115

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Hahaha, I'm always glad to see you writing more, Tad, I love hearing from you!

I've never been hugely into music, but growing up my mum liked... well, I'm bad at the genre names, so I'm likely going to be using them wrong. But she liked soft rock from the 80s and 90s pop music, whereas my sister liked heavier rock music (and eventually metal and heavy metal and such). My brother liked combining various old and new songs on his turntables at about a billion decibles, so I guess I was always surrounded by music even though I never paid that much attention.

As a teenager, I ended up liking a lot of 80/90s pop and rock music, and more modern pop/rock/punk type things but again, I was never hugely into it. I have owned maybe half a dozen CDs in my life, if that. Including the three CDs I have of one singer called Rhydian because his voice is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing some songs you used to like, its interesting!

16. Sep 6, 2019 #116

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

wrenchboy

Please keep in mind that Bohemian Rhapsody is a biopic not a documentary.
    Bohemian Rhapsody is for the casual fan that likes to be entertained.
    The serious fan can rip holes all through it with inaccuracies and screwed up timelines.
    That being said. Enjoy the movie for what it is. Rami Malik does a fabulous job as Freddie.
    Also look forward to more biopics riding on the coattails of the Rhapsody success.

loopytheone likes this.
  17. Sep 6, 2019 #117

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Oh, I'm well aware that its not factual, but from the clips and interviews with the cast I've seen it seems like a lot of fun. I know Brian and Roger seemed to enjoy working with actors and such, at least.

I doubt I'd ever meet anyone's definition of being a 'serious' fan on account of the fact that I was only born in 1990 and as such only know most of their career retrospecitvely. Their music meant a lot of me growing up though, and I've really enjoying diving into their older albums and watching interviews and such.

One thing did amuse me; I very much remember Brian performing on top of Buckingham Palace in 2002 but I either didn't notice or didn't remember that Roger was on the ground playing the drums as well!