Pizza Toppings

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Mishty

aluminum petunia
For the most part, I like a lot of sauce, motz and parm cheese, and loads and lots, and tons of pepperoni. Thicker the better, spicy makes it nicy.

I like eating a pepperchoni pepper with my pizza, love pickled peppers and yeasty pizza dough.

We recently got a Stevi B's pizza buffet in our town, and I'm a huge fan of their veggie stuff, onions, tomatoes,mushrooms, red and green peppers,olives and on thin crust, and their taco pizza with the lettuce.

Oh and down here we have "salad pizzas" at baby showers, just sheets of dough baked, sprinkled with parm, then covered in a cream cheese spread, with chives or red pepper flakes, then just a bag of salad is evened out on top, add cheddar cheese, carrots, olives. There are tons of variations I've had, radishes, dill in the cream cheese, pickles on top etc.....

sugar and spice

My favorite toppings are pepperoni, onion, black olive, tomatoes, and extra sauce and sometimes I will get it with cheddar cheese. My husband loves the all meats pizza or the BBQ chicken pizza, hold the peppers.:eat2:

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I'm told the Japanese have taken to pizza with great enthusiasm and developed toppings beyond the average American's wildest dreams! Anybody here in a position to verify? :confused:

idontspeakespn

Rabble-rousing since 1982
I like 'classy' pizza toppings ( I don't call it classy, but my friends say it's gourmet..whatevs)

1) basil pesto

2) Roasted red & yellow peppers

4) Salumi (salami)

5) Chunky spicy red sauce (arrabbiata)

6) fresh buffalo mozzerella (or other fresh mozzerella)

7) grilled portabello mushrooms

Good Lord that sounds good right now. Eating a horrible Tescos ready meal..

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
I like good thin crispy crust pizza with italian sausage, mushrooms and extra cheese. Simple and tasty, although recently I was introduced to ricotta on my pizza and I have to say it's quickly becoming a new favorite topping. I'm not a big fan of Chicago's signature thick pan pizza, too much bread, takes up stomach space for the mushrooms, sausage and cheeses.

MisticalMisty

For me, it really depends on the pizza place.

For one at home in Oklahoma, I like beef, sausage, onions, extra mushrooms and cheese on thin crust.

For a buffet chain here, I like their Buffalo Chicken pizza.

For our favorite pizza, at a local place here in Dallas, we get meatballs, sausage and pepperoni. The meatballs are sliced thin and they use all fresh ingredients. OMG..so good.

I've also been known to eat a black olive pizza with no sauce...yumm-o.

TexasTrouble

I love to add pickled banana peppers to my pizza for a little extra zing. When I'm feeling "upscale", I love pizza with goat cheese, spinach, and roasted red peppers. My favorite "weird" variety is a pizza with roasted red pepper hummus as the sauce, topped with mozzarella, grilled eggplant, feta, and a little roasted red pepper oil drizzled over the top. Heavenly.

lypeaches

It does depend a lot on where I'm getting the pizza from. For a NY style super thin crust pizza you cannot beat the classic Margherita pie.... sauce, chopped garlic, sliced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and slices of actual home made mozzarella cheese, not that processed stuff that comes on all the other kinds of pizza. When every ingredient is right, it is absolute perfection...I am transported in my mind to Naples with every bite. Thankfully our local pizzaria makes an awesome one.

If I'm eating at a more regular, chain type pizza place (which is rare since I moved to New York) I do love a Hawaiian pizza once in awhile. Mushroom is always good too.

Jes

is oddly aroused
*Shudders*

BBQ sauce with pepperoni and like meats...you know that's a UK thing, right? We don't do that in the States, unless you specifically request it...and no one would request it.
Try going to the Univ. of Illinois---we were all about Grog's pizza, with bbq sauce.

I can't lie--it sounds terrible now. Maybe it sounded terrible then, too, I don't know. I just know a small was $6 delivered 'til 1 am (I think) and my dorm mates and I went througha fuckload of them.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
Try going to the Univ. of Illinois---we were all about Grog's pizza, with bbq sauce.

I can't lie--it sounds terrible now. Maybe it sounded terrible then, too, I don't know. I just know a small was $6 delivered 'til 1 am (I think) and my dorm mates and I went througha fuckload of them.
If your college days were like my college days ... once you'd had enough beer anything tasted good. :D

Cors

Delurking
Well I have tried Japanese pizzas and while it is interesting, for the most part I'd rather sink my teeth into more traditional toppings though I've learned that my favourites are rarely found outside Scandinavia. My favourite by far is the kebab pizza with cheese, fresh salad - finely chopped lettuce, tomato chunks, onions and creamy dressing. I am also partial to Hawaiian pizza with thinly sliced bananas and pesto pizza with sliced chicken, broccoli and mushrooms.

I'd quite happily take the usual pepperoni, meat feast or four cheese pizza though. And I looove stuffed crusts and Domino's garlic dip!

Captain Save

never had a 40
Reading this thread, I have to confess I'm getting a lot of good ideas to try something new.

My usual fave is deep dish with a thin crust and lots of marinara, followed by at least a pound of each of the following:

thick sliced bacon, crumbled
italian sausage, browned and drained
pepperoni
ham

I drizzle a little more marinara and sprinkle banana peppers and black olives; a light layer of mozzarella and finished with fresh handsliced mushrooms. The finished product is pretty heavy compared to pizzeria fare since I make this in a 17in pizza pan.

Jes

is oddly aroused
Simple: extra cheese and onion!

Sometimes the meat ones are ...too much meat. And if the meat quality is poor, I end up picking more off than eating it, which is a waste of money to me.

Never: mushrooms, black olives, fish of any kind.

I honestly think pizza is one of the most perfect food there is. Carbs and dairy!

Linda

Just Chillaxin.
We had pizza again last night. It is our Friday tradition.
There were anchovies all over the place!!!
Heavenly. I have been craving those little fih for two weeks. :)

GentleSavage

I don't bite too much...
My favorite is chicken, feta cheese, and spinach if other people in the group are open to it. Although I kind of like basil on mine personally, but the pizza places around me don't have that as an option.

Cynthia

I love to add pickled banana peppers to my pizza for a little extra zing. When I'm feeling "upscale", I love pizza with goat cheese, spinach, and roasted red peppers. My favorite "weird" variety is a pizza with roasted red pepper hummus as the sauce, topped with mozzarella, grilled eggplant, feta, and a little roasted red pepper oil drizzled over the top. Heavenly.
Great toppings! The one with hummus, eggplant, feta, etc., sounds fabulous.

The best pizza that I've eaten this year had a pick-your-own combination of tempeh, avocado slices, caramelized onions, and jalapenos. Other favorites are Chinese-veggie pizzas and, occasionally, Alfredo-based shrimp-scallop pizzas. The one simple variety that knocks me out is Nancy's "Nana's Special" Chicago deep dish, which features just spinach and mushrooms. (Usually, my motto is "the weirder the better.")

Lamia

Like OMG!!

OMG Grogs is so horrible. :p

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
The other day I was in the supermarket where they have a new gourmet deli and I guess I was looking a little faint because the people I was with made me sit and bought me some pizza. It had grilled chicken breast and bacon and had a white creamy garlic sauce rather than tomato sauce. The crust was pinched like a pie crust and it was the most delicious pizza I think I ever had, outside of the Neapolitan pizza from my hometown. So I asked for it again the other day because I was told they make it all the time and they said, no that was just a special. I'm happy I had it but sad I might never taste it again.

PamelaLois

ILL-INI
OMG Grogs is so horrible. :p
This must be a more recent pizza restaurant. I don't remember Grog's from when I was at U of I. To me, the worst pizza in the world is from a wildly popular Chicago-area south-suburban chain called Aurelio's. It has a sweet sauce that is just horrible, and it's always so greasy I have to dab it with napkins to soak up the oil. It doesn't matter which location I've gotten it from, it always sucks. And yet, people are ridiculously loyal to the place. When my east-coast-dwelling cousins come home, the first place they go is Aurelio's in Homewood.

Latest posts