unpopular opinions thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

fat9276

Velvety or knit type blankets *shudder*... only soft fluffy comforters or a well made quilt please :D

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"Papa Johns pizza is just ok."
Heh, maybe it depends on what you mean by "ok." Is it any better than, say, Pizza Hut or Domino's? Or any of a number of frozen pizzas available for much less $. Not really.

But that's about what it's supposed to be. Something convenient to reach for when you're too wasted or engrossed in watching a game to trust yourself with using an actual oven timer. Or don't feel like cooking for a lot of people and don't want to spend too much. It's "ok."

The other night/morning (3:00 AM) I was at McDonald's enjoying some of their limited-time availability chicken wings. With ranch & chipolte BBQ sauce. And this very drunk & stoned guy comes right up to me (close enough that I feel I can fairly attest to his state) and asks me: "How are those? Are they good?"

To which I replied, on some reflection: "Uh...they're ok. I mean, they're certainly not bad. But...ah...they're probably just little bit better than you might think they would be? Given the circumstances..."

Needless to say, I felt bad about confusing him like that. Although not too much.

"Melissa Mccarthy is no where near the level of funny of John Candy, she's funny but Candy was a comedic god."
That's sort of out of left field. Except, of course, for the fact that she's now the age that John Candy was when he died? But her career is just taking-off. Whereas, he's now dead. He's made lots of very good movies. But has also had his share of flops. Or stuff that's "just-ok." Whereas she's spent a lot of time at the regional level, and had some success outside of what most of us think of as real comedy in a fairly popular & critically acclaimed sitcom. Before, of course, being given her own which is now in it's 4th season. It's sort of an apples to orange comparison: He's had a solid lifetime of recognition & achievement. But she's just now getting the "the call of a lifetime," a chance to finally cash-in on a body of work that was previously largely unrecognized in the mainstream. She has two new movies just coming-out, at least one of which she's written. But I'm not sure if they're going to be traditional comedies or more like quirky-independent type of films that try to win awards without being mass marketed. Basically, with everything she's done so far, she's managed to build something bigger off of it. When that stops happening, then it will be a bit easier to put her impact into some type of context.

"Samuel Adams is an overpriced, overrated beer if I've ever seen one!"
Not really. Again, it's just what it's supposed to be. Not the greatest beer of all time. But a decent, hoppy, sort of caramel-y mass-produced beer that you can buy in stadiums. Or serve at a large wedding reception. Or on a plane. It's a just-slightly higher-end alternative to the general garden variety selection of Budweiser, Amstel Light, Corona, Heineken, etc...that you just expect to see lots of places and are perfectly grateful for it. It's also somewhat of an introduction; more-so , I think, than some of those others; a gateway, if you will; into what actual beer-snobs think of as real-beer. Which is a good-thing, right?

Is their marketing, sometimes, particularly hokey, or just annoying? Yes, I think that's fair. What would be the alternative? Something like this I guess...

Esther

Queen Black Acid
Isn't the unpopular opinions thread all about posting opinions whilst acknowledging that most don't agree with you? I find long responses of disagreement a little bit redundant here.

Esther

Queen Black Acid
Both season 1 and 2 of 'American Horror Story' had a couple episodes which were in unforgivably bad taste. I'm not usually a sensitive TV watcher, but those few episodes just made me cringe...

Mordecai

The fire is coming for us
Isn't the unpopular opinions thread all about posting opinions whilst acknowledging that most don't agree with you? I find long responses of disagreement a little bit redundant here.
I agree with you.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Yeah, I agree. We're venting here. There's really no need to break down what's wrong with our opinions. We get it. They're unpopular. Except the Sam Adams thing. It does taste like piss. That's a popular opinion.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I'm not interested in, curious about, or feel out of the loop re any references to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the only thing I know about them is that they're named after Renaissance artists.

Also, Smurfs and Power Rangers. Meh.

cinnamitch

nope
Playing video games when you are an adult- No.
William Shakespeare works- No
Books set in Elizabethan times -No
Cell Phones- Hell No

Sasquatch!

A wild loser appeared!
Playing video games when you are an adult- No.
William Shakespeare works- No
Books set in Elizabethan times -No
Cell Phones- Hell No
I can understand most of those. I'm sure a lot of people would agree with the videogame point too, but it's interesting to note that certain videogames are actually beneficial to human development.

Mathias

SAMCRO
1. I've hidden friends of mine who are expecting from my view on Facebook because they post every detail of their pregnency. It gets to the point where it's just TMI.

2. I don't see why I have to tip at buffet style resturants, but any other time I will.

LeoGibson

Happy
1. I've hidden friends of mine who are expecting from my view on Facebook because they post every detail of their pregnency. It gets to the point where it's just TMI.

2. I don't see why I have to tip at buffet style resturants, but any other time I will.
If there is no table service, or if you are doing all your own serving and drink refills, then a percentage tip is not necessary, although it wouldn't kill ya to leave a buck or two for the busboy. My $.02

lille

The Great Gatsby did nothing for me, I didn't even finish it.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
The Great Gatsby did nothing for me, I didn't even finish it.
Yeah, it didn't do anything for me either but I wouldn't mind seeing the Baz Lurhman film because he's so over the top with everything he does.

I was in honors English for years and a lot of stuff on the reading list, while classics, were snoozers.

lille

Yeah, it didn't do anything for me either but I wouldn't mind seeing the Baz Lurhman film because he's so over the top with everything he does.

I was in honors English for years and a lot of stuff on the reading list, while classics, were snoozers.
I was in AP and some of the stuff was brilliant, like Lolita and A Clockwork Orange, but other stuff, like Gatsby and The Awakening, I wanted like but I just didn't.

Latest posts

Group builder