What are you unhappy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

FishCharming

derailer extraordinaire!
fuck people who dump their crazy all over you and bail the minute you need a little understanding...

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe
My complete lack of motivation to even exist this morning

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
My garden is slowing down in the cool weather, and soon will be not be producing delicious peppers and whatnot any longer. :mad:

Oh wait, now I get to plant new crop! Nevermind!

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
Actually I have something I am genuinely unhappy about. I found out today that most schools have banned the reading of To Kill a Mockingbird from the school curriculums. That pisses me off so bad. I read that book in school when I was about 15 years old and to this day it is one of the best books I have ever read. I remember even back then, when I was a dumb shithead, how much I learned reading that book.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
Actually I have something I am genuinely unhappy about. I found out today that most schools have banned the reading of To Kill a Mockingbird from the school curriculums. That pisses me off so bad. I read that book in school when I was about 15 years old and to this day it is one of the best books I have ever read. I remember even back then, when I was a dumb shithead, how much I learned reading that book.
Yeah, I read that in 9th grade; it was great. Why the hell would they even ban that?

BigChaz

His Eggy Roundness
Yeah, I read that in 9th grade; it was great. Why the hell would they even ban that?
Apparently it is considered to be immoral because of the rape topics, racial slurs, profanity, and "adult themes" that are in the book.

I come from a very conservative family (crazy right?) and even they don't mind that I read that book. Ugh.

Esther

Queen Black Acid
Apparently it is considered to be immoral because of the rape topics, racial slurs, profanity, and "adult themes" that are in the book.

I come from a very conservative family (crazy right?) and even they don't mind that I read that book. Ugh.
:(
Canadian schools don't tend to do that as often as American schools do. It is disappointing that it happens at all though.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
Oh, that's ridiculous. It's literature. Authors are trying to get a message out there, they aren't going to dumb it down because schools are too goddamn sensitive. That stuff's gonna be out there no matter what they do, might as well introduce it in an intellectual context.

Zowie

Zowie-Zilla

Psshhh, Americans... that's like, THE book of high school english. Not that I particularily liked it, but it's iconic. They can't ban that.

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
Just finished visiting my 4 year old nephew in the hospital. He shouldn't have to go through this shit :(

And then I came home and had someone scream at me for an hour about something I didn't do, and then start sobbing on me for the next hour about totally stupid things. Ugh.

Venom

Someone at my high school had ripped out all of the pages containing that stuff in every copy.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I've made a decision that's going to make me the villain to a lot of people who would rather I fit into their little box of who I should be. Thing is that I do love them but they have their own lives to live and it would be nice to hope that they would want me to be happy for myself rather than worry about how it will affect THEM.

ClockworkOrange

A Voice from Catland
I'm unhappy because I can't win a damn hand at work a;lsdkja;sldkjf;asd downnnnswing. :( TILT!

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe
What?!?!
Fuck, my school had it in the curriculumn in year eleven (middle year high school I think that is in the US...). Even the kids that hated reading or were ambivalent about books got into that one.
It's a brilliant novel, and it shouldn't be banned at all.

theronin23

In Remembrance
Dude, that was banned up north when I was living there still...5 years ago now I guess. Luckily, I was home schooled and got to read all the banned books I wanted. Fahrenheit 451 (Irony there), TKaM, Catcher In The Rye (I still don't know what the fuss was about), Huck Finn, The Jungle, Of Mice and Men...y'know, the good stuff.