What are you unhappy about today?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shotha

DM Supporter
I am unhappy, or rather sad, for the people of Afghanistan. To include all of the military and families who have been disabled mentally and physically and lost their lives seemingly in vain.
I am flat out angry of the actions of the US president for abruptly pulling out and putting many lives in danger. Not only directly in Afghanistan but around the world. Tens of thousands of weapons have been put in the hands of terrorists.
Yes, we needed to get out of an unwinnable war, but damm sure could have done it better.
This saddens me too, as I live in a small city in New Zealand, which takes in and resettles refugees. We even have a charity in our city for reuniting refugee families. We currently have more refugees in the world than at any time since the Second World War. I now wonder how many of Afghanistan's population of 31 million will be added to the growing throng of refugees. I'm sorry if this sounds like a political rant but I feel real despair that our work has been in vain. I know many Afghans in our city, who are worried sick about their relatives back home. So, these events sadden me at a very personal level.

FFAFarmher

I'm having a hard day coping with my hubby's and I current with our (recently discovered) male factor secondary infertility.

To make it harder the fact that something I really like or enjoy about his body (the fact he's overweight, to me he's not that heavy but medically he is) could be affecting his fertility. Is a really hard pill to swallow. That either way doesn't won't be a result I "like."

Shotha

DM Supporter
I'm having a hard day coping with my hubby's and I current with our (recently discovered) male factor secondary infertility.

To make it harder the fact that something I really like or enjoy about his body (the fact he's overweight, to me he's not that heavy but medically he is) could be affecting his fertility. Is a really hard pill to swallow. That either way doesn't won't be a result I "like."
You could help him to lose weight, start a family and then fatten him up again.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
That is a tough situation, FFAFarmher. Wishing the both of you the best.

================================================

Recently having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I'm trying to really reduce my carbs. Reasonably succesful so far, but I find that it means I'm eating the same foods over and over again, especially for snacks. It is hard enough cutting out most bakery items, but the lack of variety might be the bigger long term issue. Imagine if food boredom caused me to eat less, eek!

Shotha

DM Supporter
That is a tough situation, FFAFarmher. Wishing the both of you the best.

================================================

Recently having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I'm trying to really reduce my carbs. Reasonably succesful so far, but I find that it means I'm eating the same foods over and over again, especially for snacks. It is hard enough cutting out most bakery items, but the lack of variety might be the bigger long term issue. Imagine if food boredom caused me to eat less, eek!
Surely, herbs and spices aren't off you menu. They could be used to create a greater variety of flavours.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Surely, herbs and spices aren't off you menu. They could be used to create a greater variety of flavours.
It is not so much the full meals, it is the quick snacks. Which I suppose means I need to learn to figure out good snacking foods that I can make up ahead of time and keep around ....hmmmm. Thank you for getting my mental wheels turning on that front!

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
FWIW, I keep a jar of low-salt mixed nuts/raisins, mixed @ 50/50. If I feel empty between meals, I grab a handful of t his; works for me.

Shotha

DM Supporter
It is not so much the full meals, it is the quick snacks. Which I suppose means I need to learn to figure out good snacking foods that I can make up ahead of time and keep around ....hmmmm. Thank you for getting my mental wheels turning on that front!
You could make scones and savoury biscuits using almond flour, coconut flour, chickpea flour, oat flour, etc. It might to worth having a look at the variety of flours available in Indian stores or delicatessens.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
You could make scones and savoury biscuits using almond flour, coconut flour, chickpea flour, oat flour, etc. It might to worth having a look at the variety of flours available in Indian stores or delicatessens.
I think those are all still all carbohydrates? (although possibly slower to digest (lower gylcemic index) than wheat flower -- another thing to research). It gets confusing between all the people who need to go gluten-free due to gluten intolerance, and the people who want to go low carb and low glycemic-index due to diabetes.

Added challenge that food intolerances and allergies block off uncooked apple/pears/peaches/cherries, some nuts (I've mostly avoided all of them because of reactions to some, but I've not mapped it out), almonds are iffy (depends how much environmental allergies I have going on), and I have to be pretty careful on amounts of pulses (including soy). For someone who loves all food (including the ones that I can't have) and loves variety of food, my body is really letting my taste-buds down!

Shotha

DM Supporter
I think those are all still all carbohydrates? (although possibly slower to digest (lower gylcemic index) than wheat flower -- another thing to research). It gets confusing between all the people who need to go gluten-free due to gluten intolerance, and the people who want to go low carb and low glycemic-index due to diabetes.

Added challenge that food intolerances and allergies block off uncooked apple/pears/peaches/cherries, some nuts (I've mostly avoided all of them because of reactions to some, but I've not mapped it out), almonds are iffy (depends how much environmental allergies I have going on), and I have to be pretty careful on amounts of pulses (including soy). For someone who loves all food (including the ones that I can't have) and loves variety of food, my body is really letting my taste-buds down!
Chickpea flour contains about a third of the carbohydrate of wheat flour. Some of the gram flours contain even less carbohydrate and some lentil flours even less. This is why I suggested that Indian shops might be worth exploring.

You could start up a Diabetic Recipe Thread on Dimensions.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Thanks for that info! I have a lot to learn yet.

I think there was a diabetics thread on here in the health board, long ago. But probably old enough to start something new, you are right.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Thanks for that info! I have a lot to learn yet.

I think there was a diabetics thread on here in the health board, long ago. But probably old enough to start something new, you are right.
Just trying to come up with ideas.

Anjula

the bitchy one
Life is pretty overwhelming atm and it’s just one of those nights when it feels like I’m not good enough. Which is shit since I know I am but also why would I listen to the logical part of my brain when I can listen to the one that tells me I’m shit

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Since getting my diabetes diagnosis about six weeks ago, going on a med and drastically changing my eating habits, I've ended up losing a dozen or so pounds, not deliberately but some loss is typical with this med and it is hard to replace all the carb calories I've cut out. Some of that ~12 was water weight and simply less bulk in my digestive system, but I think my belly is also noticeably smaller, I don't feel as much jiggle in moobs, and my face isn't as puffy. As someone who likes being fat I've been coping reasonably well, keeping my focus on the fact that I'm making the changes for my health, the weight won't keep melting away forever, and it isn't like I'm thin. I've been keeping it together enough to stay pretty disciplined about food changes and getting in more regular bits of exercise.

Then the other day, I was muttering because my shorts kept falling down, and my wife comments "You really have lost weight, you are looking so much better -- your face is thinner, your belly is smaller, even your moobs are down." I know she is not an FA, she knows I have weird feelings around my weight, mostly we just don't talk about it. But this slipped out, confirming both the losses of fat and how much she had not liked the look of the weight I'd put on over the past couple of years.

I could probably right a page or more on my mixed feelings and frustrations. But I should stop writing now, my last glucose check was way above normal so I need to go spend some time on the exercise bike. Sigh.

I have been diabetic for over 20 years now. You get used to it and I did NOT lose weight! It depends a lot on what meds you take. I have found that plain old insulin is best. Some of the other drugs made me so sick (nausea) that I did lose weight. Good luck!

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
I just had a check up with my doctor today for my diabetes. I added Rybelsus to my arsenal of Januvia and Glucophage back in July. Since then, my A1C dropped from 9.6 to 8.2 and I lost 10 pounds as well. It can be managed but it is going to take education on what you can eat, what you should avoid and getting in daily exercise. I tend to watch my carbs and sugars plus i walk at least 30 minutes a day with the dogs.

I am not going to BS you,,,living with diabetes sucks. You tend to dread the holidays with all the sweets and carb heavy goodies . But you have to ask yourself is it worth going back in to the hospital with a staph infection of ketosis because you didn't do the steps you needed to do to keep yourself healthy.

Latest posts