When is spicy TOO spicy??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

wrestlingguy

"Bitter Old Man"
I was at a restaurant in Scranton PA today with one of my customers (no references to "The Office" please), and I ordered the shrimp fra diavolo.

When it came to the table, I then added some crushed red pepper to the linguini, and went to town.

I started to think (after I tuned out my customer) about how hot I had made this dish, and wondered if any of my fellow dimmers have had a meal that was too spicy for even their tastes...........

anyone else here burnin' down the house???

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Too spicy for me usually means when my lips feel like they're on fire and i cant really TASTE the food. My brother makes nuclear bean dip with sauteed habanero peppers. He evacuates the house from the fumes. We all have to leave the house coughing and laughing at the pain. I cannot eat his bean dip unless i add a few extra spoonfuls of non-flavored beans.

My husband loves to put habanero pepper sauce on nearly everything. I'd say I'm a wuss in my family. But my mother in law was by far the wussiest i have ever known! She thought that a can of tomato sauce with two shakes of tobasco sauce in it was taco sauce :eek:

I'm babbling but i do love me a spicy Indian dinner :D

The Orange Mage

♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓
It's too spicy if I have to take a drink of water or milk after every bite or two.

The correct amount of spicy is where you don't really have to take a drink that badly, but you have still have a slight urge to...

Britannia

Babydoll
There is no such thing as "too spicy".

My guy friends love to challenge me to "hotness wars", where we see who can handle the heat...

And I always win.

I think the "worst" combo was jalapenos, in Devil's Piss hot sauce, with wasabi shmear and a bit of curry powder, on top of a tortilla chip.

It was quite good... lol

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
Ok, I'm the biggest wuss when it comes to spicy! I think medium salsa is too hot! :doh: And I can only eat chile with a "pinch" of chile powder. Any more than that and it's too hot for me. WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME??? :confused:

Jay West Coast

Witness to the Thickness
I'm big into spicy food. I don't have it all the time, but when I do, I rarely find it too spicy. I suppose its too spicy when I can't feel my face.

Jasminium

sippin' beer thru straws
The Atomic flavored sauce at Wing Stop. It tasted like fire with an accelerant chaser. I literally took only two bites and had to stop a drink a whole glass of milk. I thought I was going to combust. Never again.

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn
For some reason, I can't tolerate spicy food as much I used to. My insides get mad at me and take it out on me in the form of heartburn that has hurt so badly that I've actually gone to the hospital for it. But when I could do spice, my faves were spicy Mexican and thai foods. I love Indian food, but could never handle some of the spices they use. I agree with Megan, when it starts to burn your lips or numb your mouth so much that you can't taste the food anymore, it's too spicy.

autopaint-1

Manny Moe & Jack Fan Club
Too Spicy is when the heat obscures the flavor of the food. That isn't to say that I like bland food, but personaly I don't understand what the fascination is with food that leaves blisters in ones mouth.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Too Spicy is when the heat obscures the flavor of the food. That isn't to say that I like bland food, but personaly I don't understand what the fascination is with food that leaves blisters in ones mouth.
I couldn't agree more. There seems to be some stupid kind of boastfulness about being able to take the hottest spiciest food. To me it would just indicate that the person is a non-taster (ie. has many fewer tastebuds than normal), and can so tolerate food like that. Super tasters find even broccoli unbearably bitter, so spicy foods tend to be unbearably hot for them to taste. Maybe you're one, Chubby Bubbles? Although of course people can "train" themselves to take food hotter and hotter. I have a friend who virtually lives on food cooked with burning hot chillies, she even puts them in her tuna pasta, ugh. Spices shouldn't hide the other flavours in a dish, otherwise we'd be as well just eating.. any old rubbish full of chilies.

Goof, like you, I used to love having certain spicy food, ie. jalapeno peppers on top of nachos and cheese sauce at the cinema. or sometimes chopped finely on a sandwich. Now though my insides object vociferously, and so I've had to give them up.

This thread reminds me of a sketch I saw on an Asian (ie Indian/Pakistani) tv comedy show. It's well known here that after a night on the tiles, drunken yobbos would go for an "Indian", and they would demand the hottest curry on the menu, all boasting and bravado. Well on this sketch show, four Asian people go to a British restaurant and are loud and obnoxious, demanding the blandest dish on the menu, to oohs and aahs of their friends.

lol found the video ! http://tinyurl.com/227ufr

BigCutieSasha

Fatty McFat Fat
I can handle some spice. Actually a decent amount of spice. But once I tried from ribs from Fire on the Mountain in Portland and I thought my lips were gonna burn off my face. They were so red and hurt pretty bad. Thats pushing the spice level a little for me. I know.... I'm a pussy.

Dr. P Marshall

I was in New Orleans a few years ago and ordered jambalaya. There were two peppers on the top as garnish (not sure what type). Anyway, my friend dared me to eat them and I did. And I immediately had tears running down my face and I got so flushed and could barely swallow. So yeah, that pretty much ruined what was otherwise a great jambalaya experience.

Nerdzilla

Talk Nerdy to Me
Too hot? Meh, pile on the spice. The last time I really had to douse the flames with some milk was when my housemate cooked some chicken in a bottle of marinade, using it like a cook-in sauce.

Pleasant aftertaste :)

Ernest Nagel

is old
I've always enjoyed spicy foods but when I had Parkinson's I lost approx 80% of my sense of taste. Things that were previously almost painful became just barely noticeable. Although I've since recovered my sense of taste I find I still enjoy things somewhere between "stupid hot" and "hurt me hot". I have a 0.5oz. vial of something called "Pyro", which is pure oil of capsaicin, 500,000 scoville units. One small drop will season 2 gal. of VERY spicy chili. MMMmm. So, yeah, if it makes your head and face sweat so much you need a bath towel, I'll join you!:eek::shocked::eat2::D

~da rev~

Call me Axel
I like spicy foods, but when its too spicy I tend to get drenched in sweat.

MLadyJ

Just adding my 2 cents..too hot is when you can't taste the food..!! What fun is that?? Esp. if you're a foodee.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
My wife grew up in Thailand, so we eat Thai food frequently. I have decided that, if I have to leave the table more than twice in a half-hour period to wipe away my tears and blow my nose, the food is probably too hot.

furious styles

goodbye halcyon days
it's only too spicy once you approach peruvian death pepper levels.

and even still, it's delicious.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Lifetime Supporting Member
I think it depends on the food for me really.
I'm a big fan of spicy foods, but I think the limit is when you're going from sauce/blend/marinade, to just capsaicin, and something to block it with. :p

Capsaicin is the hottest thing you can get, but that's just concentrated juice from the seeds rather than a sauce or anything. It's a good cooking tool, but it resists heat and cold like it's a metal. :p

I'm currently looking for a place online where I can buy Dorset Naga seeds (As well as habanero/red savina habanero)

http://reallycoolseeds.co.uk/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=29&osCsid=e274783463815b0264541762f76be453
12 bucks for twenty seeds? I think I'm going to buy. :)

zacherley

When it's just some sort of competition to see how spicy you can "handle", I don't see why you couldn't just forgo the vestigial "food" aspects of it and start doing shots of pepper spray.

That said, i do like spicy things, so long as there's underlying flavors besides "ridiculously hot". Although in the past couple of years I've started getting wicked cases of the hiccups whenever I overdo it on hot sauce in a falafel etc. This has made me slightly more cautious.