2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

mpls_girl26

Not looking so great for the MN Wild :(

Having said that - most Wild fans do not necessarily expect a winning season because we have virtually a new team....new GM, new Coach, lots of new players. Although, we still have Backstrom and he'll carry the team like he did for a lot of the season last year when our defense just sucked.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
So now that it's a few games in, has anything surprised you? Individuals? Teams? I'm still cautiously optimistic about the Sens so far, if anything they've been entertaining...

Phoenix has surprised me. Everyone knows they have good young players, but with all the distractions around them who'd a thunk they'd get off to such a good start? The coaching change perhaps?

Toronto has not surprised me at all...They are well on their way to the winless season I predicted for them...

KHayes666

Go away
They traded 2 good players Chuck Kobasew and Phil Kessel, then Lucic and Savard go down with injury.....take that Chiarelli, go back to Ottawa you doublecrossing piece of garbage.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
They traded 2 good players Chuck Kobasew and Phil Kessel, then Lucic and Savard go down with injury.....take that Chiarelli, go back to Ottawa you doublecrossing piece of garbage.

Kessel had to go, Kobasew had me scratching my head though...

If you want to send Chiarelli back to Ottawa he can bring Chara back with him...:D

KHayes666

Go away
Kessel had to go, Kobasew had me scratching my head though...

If you want to send Chiarelli back to Ottawa he can bring Chara back with him...:D

I wouldn't doubt it.....the Bruins have made horrendous personnel decisions for almost 40 years, trading Chara would be just the latest?

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Kobasew was a waste of cap space when you consider that Sobotka is an effective replacement and Savard's an UFA after this season.

Kessel won't be playing in Toronto until the middle of next month and he was a headcase who wasn't committed to the two way play central to the Bruins' game. Remember, Kessel had the tools to go 1st in his draft class but fell to the Bs because of these exact questions about his maturity and compete level. Now he gets to float in the defensive zone in the ACC pressure cooker, good luck with that.

Not to mention Toronto's an awful flawed team. Preseason I thought the 2010 first could be anywhere between 7-12, now it's looking like a top 3 pick. And Hall or Seguin would look excellent in the black and gold.

KHayes666

Go away
Kobasew was a waste of cap space when you consider that Sobotka is an effective replacement and Savard's an UFA after this season.

Kessel won't be playing in Toronto until the middle of next month and he was a headcase who wasn't committed to the two way play central to the Bruins' game. Remember, Kessel had the tools to go 1st in his draft class but fell to the Bs because of these exact questions about his maturity and compete level. Now he gets to float in the defensive zone in the ACC pressure cooker, good luck with that.

Not to mention Toronto's an awful flawed team. Preseason I thought the 2010 first could be anywhere between 7-12, now it's looking like a top 3 pick. And Hall or Seguin would look excellent in the black and gold.

Here's the thing.....the Penguins and Red Wings are winners because they have more offensive firepower than anyone.

The Penguins had Crosby and Malkin, so they went and got Bill Guerin....meanwhile the Bruins trade Kessel and Kobasew and get nothing that can help them this year.

If you want to win, you add firepower...you don't subtract it. The B's chances for the cup are over for this year and its only October. However if Toronto tanks, the Bruins will have a top 5 pick and they can draft their own Ovechkin or Malkin.....so maybe the future isn't as dim as it seemed.

OIFMountaineer

Kilt Up.
In case you forgot, Martin Brodeur is still the truth when it comes to goaltending. Even as a Pens fan, his performance tonight was sick.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Nice meltdown by the Sens last night. I'm sure the Bruins fans here enjoyed it! :mad: Oh well, what can you do??

I don't want to go through another whole season of having nothing to look forward to other than "at least Toronto lost"...but they lost again last night...

...and they haven't won yet this year...

...just sayin'!:rolleyes:

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Nice meltdown by the Sens last night. I'm sure the Bruins fans here enjoyed it! :mad: Oh well, what can you do??

I don't want to go through another whole season of having nothing to look forward to other than "at least Toronto lost"...but they lost again last night...

...and they haven't won yet this year...

...just sayin'!:rolleyes:

Well at least if you're going to look forward to "at least Toronto lost" you'll have a lot of chances to be happy this season.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Well at least if you're going to look forward to "at least Toronto lost" you'll have a lot of chances to be happy this season.

Leaf losses are celebrated here as much as Senators wins! :D

Generally though, they are only referred to as the "Blue Team".

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Didn't Toronto management promise, not that long ago, to stop trading away their draft picks and start building for the long term?

Personally, I think Boston one that trade all over the place....from the perspective of how Boston is managed. Over as long as I can remember they've aimed to be in the play-offs every year, but have never really invested in having a 'peak year' where they maximize their chance for the cup. With some of the players they had this year, between cap space, upcoming UFA status, and everything, it was like they were accidentally looking at a peak year, to be followed by a probable dip. With this trade they've helped even that out.

It does take a kind of weird point of view, I admit, to view this as a good thing....

As for the Sens....man, I bet they are practicing defending 6 on 5 this week!

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Bottom Line: Kessel wanted Drury dollars for similar offensive stats but none of the leadership.

If I had to spend another playoffs watching him blow an edge or try a toe drag through three defenders in the neutral zone and give up an odd man rush I was going to punch a hole in my television.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Bottom Line: Kessel wanted Drury dollars for similar offensive stats but none of the leadership.

If I had to spend another playoffs watching him blow an edge or try a toe drag through three defenders in the neutral zone and give up an odd man rush I was going to punch a hole in my television.

Sounds like Spezza, but Spezz has improved his defensive play this year. That's a good thing when you don't have a single goal yet.

If Kessel scores in his first game with Toronto, I'll post all the links to the "Kessel is the second coming of...(insert Leaf legend- Sittler, Keon, Gilmour, Leeman, etc...)" stories that will pop up everywhere.

Blue Team won last night too...Bummer.

KHayes666

Go away

Jeremy Jacobs is also one of the cheapest owners in the NHL....which is why the Bruins haven't won a cup in 40 years.

EVERYTIME a free agent wants a contract, they're gone...

Jason Allison
Bill Guerin
Joe Thornton
Michael Nylander
Sergei Gonchar
Brian Rolston
Mike Knuble
Sergei Samsonov
Phil Kessel

and on and on and on.......

Red Wings keeps their players, Bruins don't.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Jeremy Jacobs is also one of the cheapest owners in the NHL....which is why the Bruins haven't won a cup in 40 years.

EVERYTIME a free agent wants a contract, they're gone...

Jason Allison
Bill Guerin
Joe Thornton
Michael Nylander
Sergei Gonchar
Brian Rolston
Mike Knuble
Sergei Samsonov
Phil Kessel

and on and on and on.......

Red Wings keeps their players, Bruins don't.

Most of the names on your list were dropped when the previous management team completely misread the impact of the new CBA after the lockout. Since then they've actually done a decent job paying for talent over the past few years:

Chara
Savard
Lucic
Krejci
Bergeron

I didn't really like the Thomas deal considering they have both a 1 in Rask and a serviceable backup in Regan in the pipeline. But, along with the other deals they've given guys, I can see how signing Thomas serves as a building block in making Boston somewhere FAs want to play or where players at the end of a contract want to take a hometown discount (something Detroit's mastered).

In the long run Kessel was never going to be worth the money he wanted, especially in the system Julien runs. In the short run his cap hit would have wreaked havoc when Savard and Lucic went down and he still wouldn't be on the ice.

And lest we forget, Jacobs' opened the purse strings before and it got him Marty Lapointe :doh: Spending isn't always the answer, especially in a capped league and with an inept management team like the previous administration.

And now, the Grapes sweater.

DonCherryJersey.png

KHayes666

Go away
Most of the names on your list were dropped when the previous management team completely misread the impact of the new CBA after the lockout. Since then they've actually done a decent job paying for talent over the past few years:

Chara
Savard
Lucic
Krejci
Bergeron

I didn't really like the Thomas deal considering they have both a 1 in Rask and a serviceable backup in Regan in the pipeline. But, along with the other deals they've given guys, I can see how signing Thomas serves as a building block in making Boston somewhere FAs want to play or where players at the end of a contract want to take a hometown discount (something Detroit's mastered).

In the long run Kessel was never going to be worth the money he wanted, especially in the system Julien runs. In the short run his cap hit would have wreaked havoc when Savard and Lucic went down and he still wouldn't be on the ice.

And lest we forget, Jacobs' opened the purse strings before and it got him Marty Lapointe :doh: Spending isn't always the answer, especially in a capped league and with an inept management team like the previous administration.

And now, the Grapes sweater.

DonCherryJersey.png

Marty Lapointe actually produced in 2 of the 3 years he was here.......in terms of stupid signings, i'd have to go with...

2000 - a washed up Paul Coffey

2001 - My favorite name in NHL History Andrei Kovalenko

2002 - Benoit Hogue

2003 - Michael Grosek

2006 - Alexi Zhamnov

2007 - Shean Donovan

2008 - Glen Metropolit

So yeah, not only do they not spend much money...sometimes what they do spend on completely sucks

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Forsberg is staying in Sweden this year, thank God! I like him as a player, but the yearly "Where's Forsberg Going?" talk was getting uber-irritating. (See "Where's Sundin Going?" for comparables...)

Score of the month- A store here in Ottawa was selling 'Heatley' Senators jerseys for $40. A regular name jersey usually goes here for $200, and a blank jersey goes for $120. A deal is a deal, and I figure there has to be a way to get the nameplate off the back. So I'm looking through the rack for my size, and I find a lonely Alex Auld #31 jersey for the same price...SCORE! I would rather have a jersey from our backup goalie for one season who was known to be a great teammate, than a Heatley jersey that I would have to 'alter' any day!

Anyways to sum up- I get a Reebok jersey for a quarter of the reg. price...Not too shabby...still prefer the old style jerseys though...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Matt, Ottawa is one of if not the most penalized team in the league this year. Some of which is due to poor discipline and some sub-par defensemen cheating to try and handle stronger opponents.....but there are times that I really think some of it has to do with the uniforms. That when something is that ugly is just gives one negative feelings by association, so I wonder if the refs are more apt to call some of the marginal penalties against the Sens? We'll see how that goes tonight against the Leafs.

On a different note, anyone notice that after a slow start, the Red Wings have picked up fifteen points in their last ten games? I think they'll be in fine form by playoff time, yet again!

GTAFA

Help is on the way! every team seems to improve when the Leafs come to town.

Latest posts