2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

GTAFA

...and wasn't it sad to hear the commentary in our local media about BATTLE OF THE BLADES: that the only way to have a victory celebration at Maple Leaf Gardens was to put a figure skating competition there.

~~~~sigh~~~~

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
...and wasn't it sad to hear the commentary in our local media about BATTLE OF THE BLADES: that the only way to have a victory celebration at Maple Leaf Gardens was to put a figure skating competition there.

~~~~sigh~~~~

As I've often said, Toronto is different than other Canadian cities when it comes to sports. It is the only big Canadian city that:
- has a major league baseball team
- has an NBA team
- hosts NFL games
- has a soccer team in the top North American League
- Doesn't have a real NHL team....

...and unfortunately given that the Leafs are essentially owned by institutional investors who could care less how well they play, so long as the money keeps rolling in, I don't know what the odds of that last one changing in the near future are :( I wouldn't mind the Leafs if they were actually good, all that bugs me is the amount of coverage they get, and the number of die-hard fans they have (both all over the country) when they are just so consistently poor, occasionally rising to mediocre.

(OK, the sens are pretty mediocre themselves this year too, so it may be a close game tonight)

GTAFA

...and unfortunately given that the Leafs are essentially owned by institutional investors who could care less how well they play, so long as the money keeps rolling in, I don't know what the odds of that last one changing in the near future are :(

VERY TRUE!

They are unlike any other sporting team. They make money regardless of the quality of the product.

It's so creepy.:eek:

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Tonights game in Ottawa was 2k less than a sell-out. Unheard of in the old "Battle of Ontario" days. (I didn't go either, I admit it...)

Combine two mediocre teams, including one that some may have to drive four hours to see let alone pay for, and that's what you get. Maybe next time if both teams are still struggling we can all show up together, Sens fans and Blue Team fans, with paper bags over our heads. How would that look? A sea of brown...

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Matt, Ottawa is one of if not the most penalized team in the league this year. Some of which is due to poor discipline and some sub-par defensemen cheating to try and handle stronger opponents.....but there are times that I really think some of it has to do with the uniforms. That when something is that ugly is just gives one negative feelings by association, so I wonder if the refs are more apt to call some of the marginal penalties against the Sens? We'll see how that goes tonight against the Leafs.

On a different note, anyone notice that after a slow start, the Red Wings have picked up fifteen points in their last ten games? I think they'll be in fine form by playoff time, yet again!

I wear my jerseys with pride, no matter how the team is doing. I'm hardcore through and through, but not so blind as to not pray for the day that we retire the Centurion. We need a good basic hockey uniform. How can you have a classic look when you change it every 6 years or so? It could be worse though. We could be like Vancouver. (Insert Canucks uniform here...pick one, any one...)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
True about the Vancouver uniforms, Matt! I hope we hit upon something good in less time than they've taken....

About the non-sellout, two things contribute, I think:
- premium ticket prices to see the Leafs, so you pay more to see a weak team. Actual hockey fans will probably wait to pay less extravagent prices to see better hockey.
- everyone knows that there will be hordes of Leafs fans there, which make it kind of a lousy experience for Sens fans. Even one of the Sens players quipped before the game that they'd need to get a jump early to take the fans out of the game....on home ice.

Combine the two, and die-hard leafs fans will pay the premium to go see the game, but less and less Sens fans bother, I think.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
It is a rough year to be a Canadian hockey fan, it seems Calgary is the only team that is actually good. Some of the others may make the play-offs, but at this point none of the other five look like good candidates to make it to the second round.

Well, at least we can look forward to the Olympics!

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
I'm gonna be in Buffalo on the 26th.

Buffalo has a game on the 26th.

With Ottawa.

It's ON.

I'm packin' mah jersey.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm gonna be in Buffalo on the 26th.

Buffalo has a game on the 26th.

With Ottawa.

It's ON.

I'm packin' mah jersey.

I'm looking forward to the 26th for two reasons...

1. The Sens will beat the Sabres, and...

2. I'm NOT gonna be in Buffalo! (Always a good thing...)

Take that!:D

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
I'm looking forward to the 26th for two reasons...

1. The Sens will beat the Sabres, and...

2. I'm NOT gonna be in Buffalo! (Always a good thing...)

Take that!:D

#1: We shall seeeee.

#2: No response needed-- Buffalo's awesomeosity SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.

I should take a game face pic with my jersey.

ETA Sabretooth can do it for me.

KHayes666

Go away
Sorry boys and girls....but we all know who the real Beast of the (North)East really is:

Boston-Bruins5.jpg

Too bad they stunk the joint out against the Islanders tonight....maybe Cucka Rask is really their No 1 goalie.

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Sorry boys and girls....but we all know who the real Beast of the (North)East really is:

Boston-Bruins5.jpg

Too bad they stunk the joint out against the Islanders tonight....maybe Cucka Rask is really their No 1 goalie.

if by beasts you mean mindless goons, then yes.

:p

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
I just simulated a game between Japan and the Philadelphia Flyers on NHL 10...and wouldn't you know it, the Flyers can't even win at video hockey. :D

KHayes666

Go away
I just simulated a game between Japan and the Philadelphia Flyers on NHL 10...and wouldn't you know it, the Flyers can't even win at video hockey. :D

who played for Japan? Maybe the real life Flyers can recruit lol

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Speaking of the Flyers and the B's, is anyone going to the outdoor game at Fenway this year??

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Speaking of the Flyers and the B's, is anyone going to the outdoor game at Fenway this year??

Matt: I'd assume someone is, else the league will be awfully disappointed! :p However, it sure won't be me.

I do feel bad for Boston....Carolina is stinking up the joint so badly that the it looks like the Leaf's won't manage last place after all, so Boston is unlikely to get more than the second overall pick this year....

In other fun news Colorado, who was terrible last year, is currently atop the North-West division, and sixth in the league in points. Granted they've played more games so far than pretty much anyone else so they may not stay quite that far up, but still good to see.

KHayes666

Go away
Matt: I'd assume someone is, else the league will be awfully disappointed! :p However, it sure won't be me.

I do feel bad for Boston....Carolina is stinking up the joint so badly that the it looks like the Leaf's won't manage last place after all, so Boston is unlikely to get more than the second overall pick this year....

In other fun news Colorado, who was terrible last year, is currently atop the North-West division, and sixth in the league in points. Granted they've played more games so far than pretty much anyone else so they may not stay quite that far up, but still good to see.

I'm a Bruins fan and I don't feel bad at all......Marco Sturm coming back replaced Kessel's 30 goals, however if they want to win the Stanley Cup they need to replace Kobasew's 20 goals a year which they haven't yet.

Number 2 overall pick would be fine with me, but with Jeremy Jacobs as owner he'll probably try to trade it so he doesn't have to pay whoever they draft the big bucks.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn

Way too expensive for me, my uncle bought a pair of tickets for his daughter's Christmas gift and set himself back $1500. I'm going to the cheap ******* version the day after between some celebrity team and Bruins Legends, got the tickets free off my cousin's job and they have a $75 face value (so yes, the B's are milking the hell out of this).

I'm looking forward to the Jan. 8 BC-BU Fenway game, just found some cheap standing room tickets for that.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I'm a Bruins fan and I don't feel bad at all......Marco Sturm coming back replaced Kessel's 30 goals, however if they want to win the Stanley Cup they need to replace Kobasew's 20 goals a year which they haven't yet.

Number 2 overall pick would be fine with me, but with Jeremy Jacobs as owner he'll probably try to trade it so he doesn't have to pay whoever they draft the big bucks.

What they also need is for Thomas to hit a hot streak in the playoffs, or at least play like he does against Ottawa. He owns us...

Way too expensive for me, my uncle bought a pair of tickets for his daughter's Christmas gift and set himself back $1500. I'm going to the cheap ******* version the day after between some celebrity team and Bruins Legends, got the tickets free off my cousin's job and they have a $75 face value (so yes, the B's are milking the hell out of this).

I'm looking forward to the Jan. 8 BC-BU Fenway game, just found some cheap standing room tickets for that.

Our outdoor stadium in Ottawa is decrepit, but one of the possibilities if/when it gets rebuilt (Tad? Any thoughts??:D) is an outdoor game...I love my team, I love my city (most of the time...) but paying potentially $1k for a single ticket to see a game in Ottawa OUTSIDE in January is too much to consider it. I could listen to it on the radio with the windows open for free, while I'm stuck in traffic and not moving for two hours...

Latest posts