2009-2010 NHL Thread. Any Hockey fans??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Matt: I'd assume someone is, else the league will be awfully disappointed! :p However, it sure won't be me.

I do feel bad for Boston....Carolina is stinking up the joint so badly that the it looks like the Leaf's won't manage last place after all, so Boston is unlikely to get more than the second overall pick this year....

In other fun news Colorado, who was terrible last year, is currently atop the North-West division, and sixth in the league in points. Granted they've played more games so far than pretty much anyone else so they may not stay quite that far up, but still good to see.

Have faith, the Blue Team could still collapse. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. On the one hand a last-place Leaf finish would be awesome, especially since they traded their first round pick, but on the other hand they traded it within the division! Thanks Burke...good move there...If they beat us tonight, the TO media and fans will be dissecting possible first round playoff opponents...bank on it!

Colorado has been impressive, regardless of their games played, AND they kept their high first-round 2009 draft pick after having a horrible season...unlike ol' Bluey...

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Dum-dee-dum-dee-dum...what's in the news today...

OTTAWA 2- BUFFALO 0!!!

Ryan Miller is one sick goalie! Loses 2-0 and gets first star of the game. Ridiculous!

Hockey.... I really haven't followed it all that much as of late.

I did way back when I first moved to the United States and the New York Islanders had that memorable 1975 season where they came back twice from seemingly insurmountable holes in the playoffs to beat the Rangers and the Pens, and then almost did it a third time against the Flyers.

And I followed them during their dynasty years in the early 80s and their epic battles with Gretzky and the Oilers.

Ever since, I sort of lost interest. Tried to get into the Sharks after I moved to California. Cool name and I think I may be one of the few fans who have swum with real sharks in real life, but the Sharks' limp disappearing act every postseason is annoying enough to look elsewhere.

So... after all these years here, it's actually more rewarding to root for the ZSC Lions in my old hometown of Zurich, Switzerland.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Tim...Freaking...Thomas...AGAIN!

What is with this guy when he plays Ottawa? Unbelievable...

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Eh, yah, what Matt said. But then again.....Boston has tended to have Ottawa's number for a long time. Even when Ottawa was riding high they tended to have trouble with Boston. Not sure what it is, but I think it has just become a confidence thing on both sides, or something similar that is more in heads than on ice.

KHayes666

Go away
Eh, yah, what Matt said. But then again.....Boston has tended to have Ottawa's number for a long time. Even when Ottawa was riding high they tended to have trouble with Boston. Not sure what it is, but I think it has just become a confidence thing on both sides, or something similar that is more in heads than on ice.

Yup, I remember either the 06 or 07 season when Boston was horrible yet went almost undefeated against the 1st seeded Ottawa that year.

Its like a reverse Canadians, the Bruins had better teams against the Habs for years but lost to them for 30 years.....Ottawa have had better teams against Boston but could never beat them.

That's why I'd rather play Buffalo in the playoffs instead of Ottawa, the Sens are due...big time.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Washington traded their captain today...is Ovechkin getting the 'C'?

I personally think it will happen, whether he's ready or not...

JMCGB

That was a good trade for the Caps. Needed a Left Winger and got nice physical guy who had some decent offensive numbers a couple years ago. But honestly they really don't need anyone else who can score. Can't wait for the Winter Classic tomorrow even though it should have been Washington at Boston but hey maybe next year or the year after it will be on the Mall in DC.

JMCGB

Any of you all watching the World Junior's? Looks like it has been a good game from what I can find. Shame tsn won't stream it for Americans.

Wild Zero

ǝןʇıʇ ɹǝsn
Any of you all watching the World Junior's? Looks like it has been a good game from what I can find. Shame tsn won't stream it for Americans.

NHL Network aired the whole WJC in the US this year, so I didn't need the TSN stream.

The audio kept going out in the second period of the final but it beat streaming it off highly reputable sites with urls ending in .ru like I had to last year or whenever I want to watch KHL or the Q

KHayes666

Go away
Boston beats Ottawa again....without Ference or Bergeron, sheesh.

Hope the B's can catch Ottawa in the first round or something

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
It was a bad hockey night for me, World Juniors saw the Canadians beaten by a simply more committed American team, and at the same time Boston continued to just own Ottawa on the NHL front.

Maybe I should become a fan of lacrosse, or tiddlywinks, or something.

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Boston beats Ottawa again....without Ference or Bergeron, sheesh.

Hope the B's can catch Ottawa in the first round or something

I thought you said they were due! lol

It was a bad hockey night for me, World Juniors saw the Canadians beaten by a simply more committed American team, and at the same time Boston continued to just own Ottawa on the NHL front.

Maybe I should become a fan of lacrosse, or tiddlywinks, or something.

Gotta love Eberle bringing Canada back again at the end, but they put themselves in the hole in the first place anyways. Props to the U.S. for coming at them hard in OT after what happened in the last few minutes.

I think we'll be okay on the hockey front going forward, don't bail yet. (You forgot Curling, we're really good at Curling...)

MattB

Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Thank goodness...the Sens finally beat Tim Thomas and the Bruins!

I think the title of this thread should be renamed the 2009-2010 Tim Thomas thread...Or the "Sens vs. Bruins" thread...

Where is everyone else who chimed in earlier? Are you happy with your team? Sad? Ready for Spring Training?...

JMCGB

Well lets see..... I root for two teams. Wings and Caps. Hasn't been the best year for Hockeytown but we are finally getting healthy. It also looks like we found our #1 goalie for the future. I really like the way Holland has handled Howard. We should sneek into the playoffs as I fully expect a nice run after the Olympic break.

Not much to say about Washington, they have done everything I thought they would this year. In my opinion they need a solid veteran defense man come the trade deadline. I don't know what they do about their goalie situation. I guess they will just go with whoever is hot.

Now I can't wait for some Olympic hockey. Don't expect too much from the U.S. this year but if anyone takes us lightly they will be in for a surprise. Miller is as good as they get in goal. We also have some guys who can flat out skate but we are not loaded like Canada, Russia and Sweden.

mpls_girl26

I love how into they are! (at least with the clothes and face paint) :)

I share season tickets for the Wild. THis was their 1st NHL game. They got the tickets and all the required gear from Santa and they have been counting down the days until the trip up for it. Mom and dad said no to the facepaint but that is what Aunties are for :D

Even better.....we won :)

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I share season tickets for the Wild. THis was their 1st NHL game. They got the tickets and all the required gear from Santa and they have been counting down the days until the trip up for it. Mom and dad said no to the facepaint but that is what Aunties are for :D

You are a good Auntie! I'm old enough that my first big hockey games were seeing the Winnipeg Jets, back when they were in the WHA....can still remember my excitement (even without face paint). I'm sure this is a memory that will stick with them always :)

Latest posts