BBW in Academia Show Yourself

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Time for BBW in Academia to represent....
=====================================================
What a wonderful video - we need more Instructors like Dr. Owen. :D

Youtube clip: Goddess Les

Dr. Lesleigh Owen

That1BigGirl

Bella Nom Noms
Amazing. When I first came to dims ... I guess it's been nearly a year... I never would have thought I could be like her. I'm not to that point- but I can visualize myself there now.

Point... I cried at this, but because of happiness and appreciation.

I have nothing to offer for this thread right now- but my gratitude for you starting it.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Amazing. When I first came to dims ... I guess it's been nearly a year... I never would have thought I could be like her. I'm not to that point- but I can visualize myself there now.

Point... I cried at this, but because of happiness and appreciation.

I have nothing to offer for this thread right now- but my gratitude for you starting it.
I'm glad that you enjoyed the video and that you are also going on the same journey in academia. Are you also about to start a doctoral program?

That1BigGirl

Bella Nom Noms
I'm not that far along yet. I will be in (I hope) 3 more years. It seems a long time, but I've learned time flies. :)

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I often share this story with friends who embark on their Doctoral quest. It's never too late....

It's a shame that stories like these get lost time. This past June marks the 150th birth date of Dr. Anna Julia Cooper.

Dr. Anna Julia Cooper (August 10th,1858 - February 27,1964)

Dr. Cooper obtained her Doctorate at the Age of 67 in 1925

Upon accepting her Doctorate from the Sorbonne of France, Dr. Anna Julia Cooper said

"I take at your hands this diploma, not as a symbol of cold intellectual success in my achievement at the Sorbonne,but with the warm pulsing heart throbs of a people's satisfaction in my humble efforts to serve them".

Source :
http://www.us-organization.org/position/documents/ContemplatingAnnaJuliaCooper.pdf

=======================================
Anna Julia Cooper was born in Raleigh, North Carolina on August 10, 1858. Cooper was the eldest of two daughters born to an enslaved black woman, Hannah Stanley and her white master George Washington Haywood (Rashidi, 2002). According to Rashidi (2002) "Cooper possessed an unrelenting passion for learning and a sincere conviction that black women were equipped to follow intellectual pursuits (on-line)." This was a claim that seemed reasonable, because at the age of seven, Cooper was accepted into a teacher's training program at St. Augustine's Normal School and Collegiate Institute, a placement that required prior academic training (Biography Resource Center, 2001 (BRC), 2001).
Cooper eventually graduated to the teachers level and married George C. Cooper who was also a former slave in, 1877. She was forced to leave her teaching position because of her marriage, which was quite an unfortunate situation because her husband died two years later (BRC, 2001). Cooper never remarried.

Although she was born into slavery she had no recollection of the events of her slavery as a child, but she does recall events from the civil war as well as the earlier stages or the feminist movement. Cooper declared herself "the voice of the South (BRC, 2001, on-line, extracted 10/30/2002),"because during the "fledging" of the feminist movement, it all but ignored minority women. According to the BRC (2001) when Cooper's first book "A Voice from the South by a Black Woman of the South" was released to the public, it was declared the first work of an African-American feminist.

Cooper died of an heart attack on February 27, 1964 at the age of 105 in Washington, D.C. (BRC, 2001). She lived an eventful life that lead her from the belly of slavery to the dawn of the civil rights movement lead by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other prominent black leaders of the time. Cooper wrote two additional book from the one mentioned earlier, "L'Attitude de la France a l'Egard de l'Esclavage pendant la Revolution" and "Le Pelerinage de Charlemagne: Voyage a Jerusalem et a Constantinople."

Cooper's life is one that exemplifies an individual committed to social change and anyone's ability to overcome the obstacles of sexism and or racism and this is why her work as a "scholar, educator, and activist is evidence of the tremendous energy demanded of those who wanted to create change in the black community during the tumultuous period in which she lived (Epstein & Khomassi, on-line, extracted 10/30/2002)."

Source

Dr. Ann Julia Cooper

==========================================================

other sources

Anna Julia Cooper

PanAfrica News on Dr. Anna Julia Cooper

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
Thanks for posting that video, Tony. I will admit to knowing quite a few fat people in academia. There are more than you might realize, but I don't know if they all have youtube videos, especially ones as wonderful as Lesleigh's is.

superodalisque

ty for posting. one of the sad stereotypes is that BBWs are not highly educated and intelligent. there are a lot of us out there. at 45 i've done a lot of studying and a lot of educating. i don't think that will end anytime soon because i'm so curious about everything and there are still so many things out there to think about.

ladle

Back on Top
Smart Beautiful Big Women
*SWOON*:smitten:
Is it a fetish to be attracted to smart women?...lol

--EDIT--
Oooh...wait.....talking astrophysics while eating cereal....NOT HOT!
Just saying..there is a limit!
--EDIT--

GregW

Intelligent big beautiful women? Yes, oh yes! :smitten:

Cool video! I've met Lesleigh and some of the people in videos that link to hers and they are indeed all that.

Best of luck to all those pursuing a doctorate. I received a M.S. in 2004, then completed coursework and qualifying exam for the Ph.D - but things are currently derailed due to major professor's family situation. So I'm not sure how things will end up, but I've enjoyed the experience so far. I had an assistantship and the GI Bill at the time (so I did not have to go into debt) and I have a good job now. I'm getting ready to leave for a training session, and some of the people running it are intelligent fat women.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Thanks for posting that video, Tony. I will admit to knowing quite a few fat people in academia. There are more than you might realize, but I don't know if they all have youtube videos, especially ones as wonderful as Lesleigh's is.

Hi Butch:
That Youtube video was a heck of a find - I'll see if there are anymore out there;but, Dr. Lesleigh's was great. I do come across some interesting stories-but, please post any you might have.

ty for posting. one of the sad stereotypes is that BBWs are not highly educated and intelligent. there are a lot of us out there. at 45 i've done a lot of studying and a lot of educating. i don't think that will end anytime soon because i'm so curious about everything and there are still so many things out there to think about.
Hi Felecia:

The overall numbers have been encouraging. Of course there are other factors to consider that

1. There are not enough Women Doctorate in the Sciences
2. There has been a slight decline in Minority Doctorates.
3. Given the current economic state- some folks feel that they can get a better ROI with an MBA or Law Degree or other type of Terminal Masters (MS) Program (ie, Master in Public Health, Masters in Urban Planning)

I have been trying to find some recent studies and maybe some other Dimmers can post-but, here are the numbers from a 2002 study.

==================================================

"Of all the doctorates awarded in 2001, 22,769 went to men and 17,901 to women. The total for men has
declined steadily for the last five years, and in 2001 declined by 1.7 percent. The number of doctorates earned by women rose in 2000,but dropped in 2001 by 1.1 percent.

While the total number of women U.S. Citizens who earned doctorates declined, they made up 49.5 percent of the total, an increase of one-tenth of a percentage point over their share of the 2000 total."

Source

Chronicles of Higher Education 2002

http://chemed.chem.pitt.edu/wits/pdf/Chronicle_22Nov02_pA13.pdf
==================================================

Fatties in academia... holla!

I am what one friend dubbed an "art history motherfucker." :)
Hi Sweet& Fat:
You would be... "The Doctor of Rubenesque". :D Educating Young Fat Admiring, Art Loving Collegiate Minds One Step at A Time.
:)

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Smart Beautiful Big Women
*SWOON*:smitten:
Is it a fetish to be attracted to smart women?...lol

--EDIT--
Oooh...wait.....talking astrophysics while eating cereal....NOT HOT!
Just saying..there is a limit!
--EDIT--
I love a smart woman - books smarts, streetwise smarts , degree smarts it's all good in my books. :bow:

No: it's the sign of a smart (and confident) man!
I agree Doctor - couldn't have said it better....

Intelligent big beautiful women? Yes, oh yes! :smitten:

Cool video! I've met Lesleigh and some of the people in videos that link to hers and they are indeed all that.

Best of luck to all those pursuing a doctorate. I received a M.S. in 2004, then completed coursework and qualifying exam for the Ph.D - but things are currently derailed due to major professor's family situation. So I'm not sure how things will end up, but I've enjoyed the experience so far. I had an assistantship and the GI Bill at the time (so I did not have to go into debt) and I have a good job now. I'm getting ready to leave for a training session, and some of the people running it are intelligent fat women.

GregW:

Lucky you - i think they should repeat the training session for outsiders :D
Good luck with those Doctorate goals.. It's never out of reach....

Tania

Disneyland Bobsled Team
I keep telling my mom I'm gonna have my Juris Doctor diploma tattooed on one asscheek, and "Property of the U.C. Regents" tattooed on the other. ;)

Because KLASSY is how I roll.

~ Kali
Cal '97, Boalt '00 (Earl Warren Plan, Yo)

ladle

Back on Top
Agreed 100%. 'Booksmarts' and 'just common sense smart' and 'hold a conversation smart' and 'humorous smart'.
I have met my share of people, female or male, who while VERY intelligent, were boring as SHITE and unfunny/gullible as hell.

I love a smart woman - books smarts, streetwise smarts , degree smarts it's all good in my books. :bow:

I agree Doctor - couldn't have said it better....

GregW:

Lucky you - i think they should repeat the training session for outsiders :D
Good luck with those Doctorate goals.. It's never out of reach....

goodthings

I have a BSc with honours and a BA. Was working on MA but had to withdraw due to personal issues

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
If you're interested in seeing what happens when fat is studied in academia, check out the program for the recently ended PCA/ACA conference:

http://pcaaca.org/conference/national.php

If you download the PDF file, put 'fat studies' into the search box and there are 6 panels of interesting fat-related goodness.