How do you feel about marijuana?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Mishty

aluminum petunia
Dudes it's just a plant man, that some people use to mellow the fuck out.

I am a pot nerd, a pot junkie, a pot fan, and a pot head.

I keep a job, I don't drive while I'm potted up, I live a normal life as a herb toker, well to be honest I live an amazing life. I volunteer and make sandwiches almost everyday, I get high and sit and make between 100 and 250 sandwiches, then I wrap them and mark them. Two nights a week I help make soup and or stew, still high, I bake bread and biscuits, I stand and dole it out, I talk to the kids living out of cars and shacks, I talk to the elderly that have no one left in the world. I couldn't do it straight. I can't, I've tried. I can't look at these people when I'm straight and not want to break down. When I'm high, I have a big giant heart that just wants me involved, but not overly emotional.

Am I saying that pot makes me a better person, ugh no, but for me, sometimes it does more than just make me giggle or act'a fool, it grounds and centers me, so I can get shit done without having a nervous break down about the conditions in my world.

I've been on head meds of every shape and variety since I twelve years old, and nothing truly worked. Most of them made me almost un-human and unemotional, unaware of what was really going on around me. Some of the pills made me feel crazier and unstable. I dropped them all cold turkey, and told my doctor I was choosing to self medicate with herb, she watched me, I gave blood, I went in for check ups high and not high, and it works for me. She said she would rather I didn't "smoke" it because of the damage to my lungs, but she noticed how calm and collected I am when my brain isn't over analyzing everyone and everything in my life. I can just be. Will herb always work, probably not, but for now it's doing me just fine.

I know I sometimes over indulge and sometimes say stuff I wouldn't or shouldn't say, but if that's the only side effect I'm golden.

I wanted to make a point here, but I'm just to high. :batting:

Scorsese86

Likeable conservative
Some people smoke weed, some people drink. Some do both.

To be totally honest: I don't give a shit what people do with their own lives. If they're 18, and don't hurt anybody but themselves... why should anyone care. As long as you don't hurt anyone else... what's the problem?

Luv2BNaughty

Assistant to the Regional Manager
Though it isn't for me, if you're out there handling your business like you should (taking care of bills, family, work, etc.) then do what you want. When it interferes with any of those, then that's when it becomes a problem, imo.

Deven

Wendigo
I started smoking when my legs and back hurt so bad I could barely move, and when I was starting to battle (which I still am) my eating disorder. I ignored hunger when I was a ballerina so long that I don't get the tummy rumbling cues, or I'll feel like I want something, but it doesn't feel like a physical need. It's hard to explain. My first sign of "need" to eat is when I get sick to my stomach from low blood sugar.

Marijuana induces hunger in me (Duh.) The munchies are a great reason of why I smoke. I'm still suffering with pain in my back/knees (not as bad as before) and now in my mouth, to the point where I have to chew so slowly on one side of my mouth (my wisdom teeth have come in, but they were cracked. I'm getting healthcare within the month, and the FIRST thing I'm doing it getting my wisdom teeth pulled.)

I don't like taking traditional "painkillers." I worry about the addictive properties, where with MJ, I'm able to quit and its not a big deal if I'm out. I stopped smoking for 2 years, and didn't pick it up until recently. I enjoy it, but it's not the end of the world if I don't have it.

I think it should be legalized and regulated. Alcohol is more detrimental to your health than marijuana.

Also: I've never, and WILL never, drink/smoke and then drive. I find it irresponsible. One mistake, and your life, or someone else's is over.

patmcf

Prohibition never worked for anything. Even the alcohol ban of the 20's was an epic disaster.

Ok so, I did some more pondering and this post reminded me of something. The roaring twenties were all well and good for the United States, but as we all know the following decade was defined by a devastating depression for reasons such as overproduction/under consumption, a rather sketchy credit system based on unstable margins of buying, the fact that there was no major industry to follow the automotive boom of the 1920s and the consequent stock market crash on October 29, 1929 ("Black Tuesday"). After Hoover failed to present viable solutions to the economic catastrophe that was devastating the American populace, FDR took the reigns. Roosevelt's "First 100 Days" as President were an experimental approach to the Depression, he passed as many bills as possible in hopes that one might result in a solution. Essentially, it was a trial and error process. MY POINT, is that one of the first things he did in an attempt to boost the morale of the American people and impact recession was to pass the Beer and Wine Revenue Act. This ended prohibition and resulted in an increase of fiscal earnings

. . . Apply this is to bankrupt, modern day American. Substitute weed for alcohol and add in the other variable of the uncontrollable violence stemming from Mexican trafficking of marijuana to the United States. Legalization may contribute to quelling this bloodbath by eliminating the Mexican drug trafficker's United States marijuana market. I do not need to mention the fact that if the American government chooses to establish and operate dispensaries throughout the United States, something the Canadian government does with alcohol in most provinces, they will set the rates for cannabis and this means that they will be in control of the tax applied to said product. Ergo, revenue abound. Making marijuana illegal also hinders the lucrative industry of hemp production. Male marijuana plants, which may be used for hemp fiber, do not produce THC and consequently they do not contain the chemical necessary for a high. Associating illegality with male plants seems rather trivial for this reason. Furthermore, hemp can be used for many useful things - for instance, hemp can be manufactured into an alternative fuel source much like corn may be used to produce ethanol.

However, there are definitely negative aspects to legalization. By this I mean the need for a more diligent law force to regulate things such as the aforementioned driving under the influence. The question arises of whether legalizing this controlled substance will call for the need to legalize other drugs and also one must acknowledge the fact that problems stemming from drug trafficking may merely continue with another drug taking marijuana's place. It is also medically undeniable that widespread popularization of smoking marijuana will lead to a vast increase, some would call it an epidemic, of lung and throat cancer. Marijuana burns much much hotter than a cigarette and this wreaks havoc on one's respiratory system.

Personally I am not a smoker, but I consider myself to be fairly liberal in relation to such things. In my opinion, it is only a matter of time until the United States tests the waters of marijuana legalization. I believe we are witnessing what may be referred to as a 'cannabis catalyst' with California.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
Dudes it's just a plant man, that some people use to mellow the fuck out.

I am a pot nerd, a pot junkie, a pot fan, and a pot head.

I keep a job, I don't drive while I'm potted up, I live a normal life as a herb toker, well to be honest I live an amazing life. I volunteer and make sandwiches almost everyday, I get high and sit and make between 100 and 250 sandwiches, then I wrap them and mark them. Two nights a week I help make soup and or stew, still high, I bake bread and biscuits, I stand and dole it out, I talk to the kids living out of cars and shacks, I talk to the elderly that have no one left in the world. I couldn't do it straight. I can't, I've tried. I can't look at these people when I'm straight and not want to break down. When I'm high, I have a big giant heart that just wants me involved, but not overly emotional.

Am I saying that pot makes me a better person, ugh no, but for me, sometimes it does more than just make me giggle or act'a fool, it grounds and centers me, so I can get shit done without having a nervous break down about the conditions in my world.

I've been on head meds of every shape and variety since I twelve years old, and nothing truly worked. Most of them made me almost un-human and unemotional, unaware of what was really going on around me. Some of the pills made me feel crazier and unstable. I dropped them all cold turkey, and told my doctor I was choosing to self medicate with herb, she watched me, I gave blood, I went in for check ups high and not high, and it works for me. She said she would rather I didn't "smoke" it because of the damage to my lungs, but she noticed how calm and collected I am when my brain isn't over analyzing everyone and everything in my life. I can just be. Will herb always work, probably not, but for now it's doing me just fine.

I know I sometimes over indulge and sometimes say stuff I wouldn't or shouldn't say, but if that's the only side effect I'm golden.

I wanted to make a point here, but I'm just to high. :batting:

Apparently pot butter is pretty amazing too, medicinally. And it doesn't harm your lungs.

Just sayin' ;)

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
I think we should treat it as we treat alcohol. Make it legal, regulate it and tax it, but don't you DARE drive or perform a potentially dangerous job if you're high.

You may think you're not impaired, but the reality is, you probably are. How many people drive drunk, sure they're not impaired and do it safely "all the time". Until, of course, they don't.

Totally agree here. Personally, I've never done any kind of drugs, including pot, but I've always had the same stance on the whole legalization of drugs for years.

Heyyou

I was reading an old thread on here where someone was talking about how being driven by someone who was under the influence of marijuana and some of the comments really...stuck with me, particularly in comparison to alcohol.

So, how do you feel about it? Should it be legalized? Do you feel it affects driving and other activities as much as, say, alcohol? Do you have any friends who use it for medical purposes? I understand if you dont want to say whether you use it or not but that shouldnt stop you from posting any relevant comments or experiences.

I was a bit wary of putting the word marijuana in the title but I wanted people to notice the thread and click on it, please don't ban me!

lmao.. if you wish to be "banned," start criticizing Barack Obama. :)

Now, as to marijuana.. California has the legalization, so do some other places. I feel this only encourages its use, and some people use the word 'enable.' And that leads to more favoratism of it, etc. Ill do what i can to provide some supporting information.

Legalization of it would be like the whole Prohibition thing all over again, which is pretty much how people treat it now. 18th and 21st amendments, of Prohibition and repeal of prohibition, if i recall correctly.

Some are for it, some are against. Some say 'legalize;' most are against. (Too much revenue from fines of it, etc. Read up on how Coca-Cola got its name, namely John Pemberton putting Cocaine from the Coca leaf in bars where they would say "Give me a shot in the arm" for 5 cents.. then blacks started committing crimes in the 1920s etc, and it got banned. Hmmm... Yes, "Coca-Cola" has its roots in racist, cocaine, product. Marijuana, AFAIK, doesnt.)

Ive never used, so i cant say... but given the contact high i got once, im going to have to say: Its a drug. An illegal one. You can go to jail for it! :eek:

FTR, you can also go to jail for an open container of alcohol. Just have a beer that has the seal broken in a car.. and see if you go to jail.. if alcohol is so "legal." :)

penguin

Fnord
DimensionsModel
Yeah maybe when you were in high school. What I hate is seeing people that are still smoking it everyday in their 30's and 40's. It may be time to move on, and do something with your life.:rolleyes:

None of my friends did it much in high school - we couldn't afford it! Once we were out of school and working we were able to get it more easily. We grew out of doing it regularly by our late 20s, though we're known to indulge every once in a while.

patmcf

Why the question mark. I really want to know why some smoke everyday, and figure there is more than one reason. So, I will mark you down in the fun category. ;)

Well, the most obvious reason is medicinal. Others may admit to developing a dependency, but this point may be contested within the smoking community as many would rebut that marijuana is not habit forming. And "fun," or the pursuance of pleasure, is certainly another reason. Many people have an alcoholic beverage with their dinner every evening because they enjoy it, others will smoke for the same reason - there is not a colossal difference between the two.

Scorsese86

Likeable conservative
There is only one reason? Some drink everyday because they are alcoholics, but not everybody is one of those.

No, but I was more speaking about getting drunk every day. There are people who have one glass of wine every night, or one beer with their dinner, doesn't make them an alcoholic. Doesn't really make them drunk either. And there's certainly more than one reason.

patmcf

Yeah maybe when you were in high school. What I hate is seeing people that are still smoking it everyday in their 30's and 40's. It may be time to move on, and do something with your life.:rolleyes:

I think that is a rather amusing stigma associated with marijuana consumption. Many believe that smoking on a regular basis renders such an individual a lifeless slug that will lead an unproductive and, ultimately, unfulfilling life. I do not mean to offend, but I think it is wrong to assume such a thing. Neither you, nor I know all of the people in the world that smoke marijuana and it would therefore be fallacious for either of us to generalize. However, I know many people in their teens, 20's, 30's and, yes, even 40's who smoke marijuana and are incredibly successful people. Far more successful than most could hope to be. Marijuana does not define these individuals, it is merely something they incorporate into their daily routine and it does not affect their day-to-day lives. Now, I do know some people who lead uneventful lives and smoke marijuana, but these were the same individuals who led uneventful lives prior to indulging.

The lazy stoner image is propaganda :)

Shosh

Susannah
None of my friends did it much in high school - we couldn't afford it! Once we were out of school and working we were able to get it more easily. We grew out of doing it regularly by our late 20s, though we're known to indulge every once in a while.

Yeah that's ok. I am not against people smoking it occasionally. I just cannot stand seeing older people still acting the way they did on it in high school and their early twenties. It makes them look like losers who have never moved on with their life.

I just think people should never smoke it and then drive. That is a criminal act in my book.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
GIFSoup

I can imagine that "some" of greats in animation have worked under "altered" states...

It is an important issue to consider when there is a medical need and it certainly has been a "cash cow" to states that have legalized it ...

Buffie

KittyBuffieKat
Like a lot of you, I think it should be legal with restrictions similar to alcohol.

Driving while impaired on anything (including chemicals, or distractions like a phone, food, iPod, wild kids...) is dangerous.

Three times in my life I've been hit by drivers who were impaired. I still have issues with pain and it pisses me off. Those guys should have the pain, not me.

Ask any cop or first responder to describe the things they've seen at a wreck (I say wreck and not "accident" because impaired/distracted drivers make a deliberate decision to drive that way).

You'll think twice about what we owe to each other every time we get behind the wheel.

Give yourself and others your undivided attention and absolute best ability to respond to changes in conditions as quickly and accurately as possible or get in the passenger seat.

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
Are you saying that you drive drunk and don't feel it affects your driving negatively?

I know this is all the way from the first page but I have to answer.

I do not drive and never have driven. I do not own a car or a license. I've never needed to, so no, I have never driven while impaired in any amount because I've never driven, period!

But that doesn't mean I haven't done other things like catch a bus or walk up the street while either high or having consumed alcohol.

In fact, my doctor even did a field report on me as he didn't believe me that alcohol has no effect on me, but it's written in my medical file that for sure I have no reaction to consuming alcohol besides throwing up if I drink a lot of it really quick (40oz straight in 1-2 hrs) but otherwise reaction time and other functions are not impaired.

As for weed, however, I most definitely feel impaired after having had some. But I'm Canadian. It's like a rite of passage to take a puff or two. They might as well hange our flag to a marijuana leaf rather than the maple leaf.

Never would I want to be in a vehicle with someone impaired by anything, nor would I want to see anyone be impaired by anything and drive.

Legalization, though, seems likely in Canada as it's practically there already.

Latest posts