Quantcast

comic book nerds UNITE!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

rickydaniels

https://www.facebook.com/ricky.daniels.bbw.pin.up.
Well another Superman movie. We have the Nolan's writing (Dark Knight, Batman Begins) it which I think good, then we have Zack Snyder (Sucker-Punch, 300, Watchmen) directing, which could kill or make this movie. The cast is pretty decent in my book, some very interesting decisions. Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, hmmm; well I do like him. Micheal Shannon as General Zod I think is the oddest choice. He's a character actor, always plays kind of a loveable dope or a total creepazoid. I remember him the most with his small part in Pearl Harbor. Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, umm ut-oh; yeah. Let's not forget Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel himself. I admit he could pull it off. Russell Crowe as Jor-El could be really cool too.

Let talk about the iconic suite. Pictures posted here Superman Costume I'm not liking it so far. The "S" crest is the best part. I think that part looks good, classic and iconic. The rest of the suit is aweful and it reminds me of the crappy Joel Schumacher Batman costumes. He might well have given him nipples. There is also no belt or red undies. I just doesn't say Superman to me. I'm sure regardless I am going to go and see this movie. It strikes enough interest for me whether or not the suit sucks. Your thoughts?

Jess87

Man-Bat Groupie
The suit drives me nuts. I don't even mind the lack of outer underwear. My issue is mostly with the belt area. It's like they set everything in motion for a belt, they even have something that resembles a faux-belt buckle and then they just decided, nah, forget the belt. It just looks so incomplete. It also looks very reptilian with the fabric or the pattern on the fabric. I don't dig it.

s!gma

DC is getting rid of the outer underwear in the new superman comics too, Like the new Wonder Woman look I dont think it will last.

The New costume is cool enough, dont like the S though it looks a little Kingdom Come-ish.

i think problem is if its a simple spandex, rubber or latex the producers think it looks too cheap and thus unbelievable.

rickydaniels

The suit drives me nuts. I don't even mind the lack of outer underwear. My issue is mostly with the belt area. It's like they set everything in motion for a belt, they even have something that resembles a faux-belt buckle and then they just decided, nah, forget the belt. It just looks so incomplete. It also looks very reptilian with the fabric or the pattern on the fabric. I don't dig it.
I agree with you there. I can deal with no outer undies if the suite was done right. It makes his cod-piece look huge. I hate the faux-belt thing too. It's like cheap accents to show off the body. Superman's suit is iconic. It was just designed that way. I don't think there's anyway of getting around it.

rickydaniels

DC is getting rid of the outer underwear in the new superman comics too, Like the new Wonder Woman look I dont think it will last.

The New costume is cool enough, dont like the S though it looks a little Kingdom Come-ish.

i think problem is if its a simple spandex, rubber or latex the producers think it looks too cheap and thus unbelievable.
yeah, suit redesigns have never lasted in comics. I remember all the superman redesigns in the 90's. They were terrible.

disconnectedsmile

RATING: AWESOME
Mike Meyer, a 48-year-old resident of Granite City, Illinois, was robbed last month of more than 1,800 Superman comic books and collectibles worth approximately $4,000 to $5,000. Meyer, who receives Social Security for mental disability and supplements his income with part time work at McDonald's, was the victim of an unscrupulous former co-worker who created a ruse to distract the handicapped man while he absconded with the comics, action figures and other collectibles. Granite City police are presently investigating the robbery.
whether or not you are a comic book fan, you have to admit that this is a very unfortunate situation.
no one deserves to have items of such emotional value stolen from them, least of all a gentle soul like Mr. Meyer.

fortunately, you can help!

Read on to learn about some of the ways you can help Mike Meyer. Also behind the cut is a local news segment in which Meyer discusses the incredibly painful situation.

So many comic book fans are eager to help Meyer that the efforts are a little chaotic, but some parties have attempted to make an accounting of what was stolen and what is being donated. Newsarama spoke with a friend of Meyer who said the following material is missing:

"A 1960s Captain Action costume (on a generic doll, ha), a Seinfeld statue (I know these are expensive now), several recent Superman statutes (not sure which ones), most of his Superman Returns action figures and other bubble wrap figures and his complete collection of Superman and Action Comics... mostly 1950s to current and many in not particularly great condition. Also there is a Superman TV set, a Spinball Pinball Game, a Superman clock, and assorted other items. He still has a good part of his collection remaining, but most of his prizes are gone, alas. I am pretty sure none of the Superman statues will be in boxes. he had the boxes in a separate location in his house."

Comics Should Be Good spoke with the same friend of Meyer's, Bill Smith, who is accepting not just replacement materials but also greeting cards, artwork and other Superman-themed material that he will pass on to the victim.
Mailing information can be found on ComicsAlliance.com: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/09/09/mike-meyer-superman-theft-help-donations

s!gma

I grabbed JLA last week and they are really Rebooting everything, I thought the continuity would remain with a shuffling of heroes, but Batman Meets Hal Jordan for the first time and they almost ambush Superman.

I haven't had time to jump into this weeks pile but apparently Action and Detective Comics are really good and even harder to find.

disconnectedsmile

RATING: AWESOME
So some things I learned over the last few weeks

1. I hate Superman’s new costume

2. Sinestro is the new Green Lantern?!?

3. Batwoman is still the Hottest redhead
1. it's his new old costume, according to the new continuity. he started his life as a crime fighter (6 years ago) wearing a shirt and jeans.
his actual new costume is this:

2. yep. GL continuity remains the same, Post-Flashpoint.

3. Kate Kane > Barbara Gordon

s!gma

Really wish they would have just expanded upon Superman Earth One storyline, Action Comics could have picked up the Earth one stories and been less t-shirt and jeans but still a young learning supes, and mainline could grind along with a slight costume change and no huge hiccup in continuity.

GL still has had a sort of restart, because Hal Jordan isnt a Lantern and Sinestro is, also he [sinestro] is close or at least under the close watch of the gaurdians.

If you forget about Guy, Kyle and John, and JL issue #1. This is where everyone was when Hal was first given a ring. and a pretty pretty preeetty good starting point.

Anyone read any Manga??

Claymore
Fukkin GANTZ !!?!?!?!!
One Piece
Naruto
Bleach
Fairy tale
Beserk
HSDK

?

russianrobot

Idle Chatter
1. it's his new old costume, according to the new continuity. he started his life as a crime fighter (6 years ago) wearing a shirt and jeans.
his actual new costume is this:

2. yep. GL continuity remains the same, Post-Flashpoint.

3. Kate Kane > Barbara Gordon
I loved Flashpoint! The ending in issue 5 with Bruce getting the note that was beautiful.

I was referring to Kate, but Barbara does a great job as Oracle

Okay the Superman and the end of the Month is his costume, got it Thanks!

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
Is anyone reading Walking Dead? I'm halfway through Book 2. So far it's totally awesome! It's better than the show; although I do like the show very much. So much more screwed up things happen in this Zombie Apocolypse. I'd love to hear what some of you think.
I just started reading it as well, and I'm also halfway through book 2. I'm enjoying it much more than the show. I understand the continuity can't be exactly the same, but I still prefer the book to the show.

Lina

The humans are dead..
It was taking me forever but I am now all caught up with The Walking Dead. I waited to watch the show until I finished and now I can't wait for Vol #15 and season 2!!

rickydaniels

yeah I'm lovin it! It's so exciting, crazy and effed-up all at the same time. I can totally see why they needed to change up the storyline a little for the show. There's now way AMC would let them do some of the things that happen in the book. I still love the show and can't wait for the premiere next week.

Allie Cat

Whoa, how did I miss this thread? o_o

I used to be hardcore into Marvel's stuff, primarily the comics that tied in with the Civil War storyline. Then it all started to go back to same-old, same-old, and I started dropping subscriptions. Now all I read are Gold Digger and the Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire tie-in comics, plus whatever graphic novels catch my fancy. I must say, it's a lot cheaper. xD

I'm also a huge ElfQuest fan, but since they're not putting out new stuff any more it doesn't really count :\

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Whoa, how did I miss this thread? o_o

I used to be hardcore into Marvel's stuff, primarily the comics that tied in with the Civil War storyline. Then it all started to go back to same-old, same-old, and I started dropping subscriptions. Now all I read are Gold Digger and the Wheel of Time and Song of Ice and Fire tie-in comics, plus whatever graphic novels catch my fancy. I must say, it's a lot cheaper. xD

I'm also a huge ElfQuest fan, but since they're not putting out new stuff any more it doesn't really count :\
Whoa, how did I miss this?

Girl Genius (Phil and Kaja Foglio)

Although it's a long enough thread that I've likely posted this before and don't remember... :)

-Rusty