Post 5 random facts about yourself

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
1. I have since found that the Quebec provincial liquor stores (SAQ) carries a couple of types of flat (non-sparkling) cider, which are indeed quite good. Also found that the 'Big Apple' outlet along the 401 had a flat cider, but it was oak aged and the oak taste was kind of nasty unless you poured the cider over ice.
This place is by me and makes amazing cider. I prefer their bottle conditioned sparkling stuff but the still ciders are good too. I liked their oaked dry ciders immensely. Do you tend towards sweet or dry? I would never pour their stuff over ice any more than I would wine, it's definitely well made. Although I think all English style ciders kind of taste of ass so not a fan of those generally. At least the american ones labeled "English style" that I've tried.

If I recall Canada has kind of draconian liquor shipping laws, so this may be inaccessible to you.

http://blackbirdciders.com/hard-cider

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
1. I apparently have a face that is not only knowledgable, but friendly. People approach me all the time to ask about directions, local attractions, or where the sweaters are in a store.

2. I hate when strangers acost me - I think I give them the same shocked/offended face of "aaaahh wtf is it!?" Face the cat gives my husband.

3. No matter what I may feel like eating Pho is always an acceptable second option.

4. When I WANT pho and i cant GET pho I am uttery inconsolable for that evening.

5. I hate anything even remotely tight/firm against my waist, be it jeans or hard elastic waist bands

Reactions: Tad

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
This place is by me and makes amazing cider. I prefer their bottle conditioned sparkling stuff but the still ciders are good too. I liked their oaked dry ciders immensely. Do you tend towards sweet or dry? I would never pour their stuff over ice any more than I would wine, it's definitely well made. Although I think all English style ciders kind of taste of ass so not a fan of those generally. At least the american ones labeled "English style" that I've tried.

If I recall Canada has kind of draconian liquor shipping laws, so this may be inaccessible to you.

http://blackbirdciders.com/hard-cider
You are right about our liquor laws being restrictive.

I like my ciders dry -- I appreciate the current cider boom, but I find almost all of them have too much sugar and not strong enough apple flavor.

The oaked cider was just more oaked than I liked. Then again, I'm not a big fan of oaky wines either.

I was first introduced to cider in France as a teenager, when a french family my Mom had made friends with were regularly up into Normandy and would bring back cider for us from small (possibly backyard?) cider makers, and it was somewhat brownish, murky, and just incredibly delicious. I've pretty much been looking for that since we left thirty years ago.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
You are right about our liquor laws being restrictive.

I like my ciders dry -- I appreciate the current cider boom, but I find almost all of them have too much sugar and not strong enough apple flavor.

The oaked cider was just more oaked than I liked. Then again, I'm not a big fan of oaky wines either.

I was first introduced to cider in France as a teenager, when a french family my Mom had made friends with were regularly up into Normandy and would bring back cider for us from small (possibly backyard?) cider makers, and it was somewhat brownish, murky, and just incredibly delicious. I've pretty much been looking for that since we left thirty years ago.
Yeah I'm not very into super oaked wines either. The bourbon barrel aged cider from the place I linked is exceptional. The bourbon mellows out the taste of the wood, bourbon barrels are also used for scotch.

Make your own cider, imo! Really easy if you like still cider, too.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Yeah I'm not very into super oaked wines either. The bourbon barrel aged cider from the place I linked is exceptional. The bourbon mellows out the taste of the wood, bourbon barrels are also used for scotch.

Make your own cider, imo! Really easy if you like still cider, too.
My Mom does have more apples than she knows what to do with this year .... got any good links?

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
My Mom does have more apples than she knows what to do with this year .... got any good links?
Never made cider but I read up on it a few times intending to, maybe I should just do it too. Not sure what site is the best.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Time for some more fact mining....

1. When I want to relax, I cook.
Definitely - or even more heat the oven and bake something.

1. I need coffee to function. When there is no coffee, I turn into a raging bitch. Not even kidding.
Absolutely. My first move in the morning is turn on the coffee machine.

[*]I love languages and one of my goals is to be able to converse the five main romance languages.
[/LIST]
Si, oui, sim, da ... that bug has hit me too. I've come pretty far with reading and listening comprehension.

1. I apparently have a face that is not only knowledgable, but friendly. People approach me all the time to ask about directions, local attractions, or where the sweaters are in a store.
We're not the same person - are we?
I've had the most hilarious encounters - like at a bus stop in Rome (I look anything but Italian, was only wearing a fashionable Italian winter parka) I was asked by a whole troup of Alpini (the Italien military mountaineers) in full uniform on a field trip how to get to Piazza Navona.
Or I've gotten incredible smiles of relief from lost American tourists in Paris back alleys, who were thrilled to get directions in American English, when they expected to be snarked at in French.
And of course lots of apologies in Northern and Eastern European countries in English for not speaking the local language. But often knowing the directions - just from the practice of a life-time of moving around.

4. I have yet to decide my ideal cocoa percentage in chocolate, but it seems to be somewhere in the 70 - 85% range. I think I need to gather more data -- much, much, more data.
Mmmmh - am also on that fact finding mission.

3) There are people I love but there isn't anyone in the world I trust anymore and I don't see that ever changing. I get the feeling this is really abnormal.
I don't think it's that abnormal. It's the curse of a good memory and the ability or tendency to strongly analyse interactions and their motivation.
It's a professional asset, but more of a boon in personal relations. For myself I've come to the compromise of trusting people in certain matters. But completely - no. Not since my grandmother and great-aunt died.

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei
I don't think it's that abnormal. It's the curse of a good memory and the ability or tendency to strongly analyse interactions and their motivation.
It's a professional asset, but more of a boon in personal relations. For myself I've come to the compromise of trusting people in certain matters. But completely - no. Not since my grandmother and great-aunt died.
Is it terrible to say I feel this way even though my parents are still alive? I don't necessarily distrust people by default (well, I do now, but that's a recent development and wasn't the case for most of my life) but I've never really "gotten" trust. If you can't truly see inside someone's mind and know how they feel about you then you can't ever be certain that they truly care about you or even that they don't actively intend to harm you. So it seems almost irrational to me to trust anyone.
I get the appeal since I trusted one person as an adult and it was a wonderful feeling to finally give in and put your faith in someone and believe it had been rewarded. In retrospect I think I picked the absolute last person in the world I should have. The way I feel about it now is similar to how I've heard women describe anal - a unique experience but I'm never doing it again.

LeoGibson

Happy
1. I don't really get nervous. I can speak to a group, act in a play, do karaoke and sing, competitions or other sports etc., and other than getting really focused and an extra bit of energy I never have had an attack of the nerves.

2. I never see the line between flirting and what's being friendly and putting people at ease and making them smile or laugh. This gets me into awkward situations sometimes where I have to explain that I'm not single and was being friendly and not flirting.

3. Quite often I feel like I was born in the wrong era.

4. My retirement goal is to have a house here in Texas, preferably around Corpus Christi or somewhere else near the coast, and a winter place in the north woods of Wisconsin or Minnesota hopefully on a lake.

5. Even though I'm in my 40's I still like cranking the bass and thumping while I ride around like I did when I was 17.

Last edited:

Anjula

the bitchy one
1. Men with spiderwebs tattooed over their entire face are apparently compelled to sit next to me and engage me in conversation on public transport. I fear it is because they know their own.

2. As a child, I was cursed by a gipsy. (there has been speculation as to the nature of the curse, but the current theory is that it will involve getting my face tattooed with a spider web)

3. One time, I got annoyed with my flatmate which resulted in me deadlifting the fridge. He thought I was going to throw it at him and he wet himself.
I hurt for a month afterwards.

4. I make dinosaur noises while operating heavy machinery

5. I sometimes tell made up stories with a straight face, but have only ever been called out on the true ones.
You made me laugh so hard I cried a little

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
3. One time, I got annoyed with my flatmate which resulted in me deadlifting the fridge. He thought I was going to throw it at him and he wet himself.
I hurt for a month afterwards.
Are you sure you weren't really just lifting the fridge to shake it and see if any food would fall out?

LeoGibson

Happy
1. I feel about boots the way a lot of women stereotypically feel about shoes. I can never have too many pair.

2. I seem to have lost the desire to drink heavily as I have gotten older.

3. My personal politics has shifted from somewhere to the right of Atilla the Hun to mostly Libertarian with a liberal bent as I have aged.

4. I am wildly attracted to thick, sexy German women.

5. I really miss my old motorcycle and I'm seriously considering buying another one this coming year.

Latest posts