Quantcast

Calling All Artists

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

RedVelvet

Airship Pirate
Gorgeous...really.

.......did you crush the paper first?

And did you have any training? Or is all this alarming talent just Goddess given?

and...I hate you.

Allie Cat

Here's a shot from an animation I'm working on. Still very much a work in progress, I estimate three or four more weeks of work before I can call it done.

Edit: And for some reason the attachment thing keeps shrinking my images :\

=Divals

View attachment kaching.jpg

tnekkralc1956

and...I hate you.
Well, that make two of us. No formal training. You soak the paper, wad it up, and very carefully spread it out over your base paper which should have a very thin layer of Elmer's glue smeared over it. Must be worked wet so it's handy to have a spray misting bottle at all times.

I can feel your hatred, *sigh*

Risible

Monkey Daze
tnek - I recognize that landmark! Olmsted Point; Bio says that he thinks he remembers that the tree is dead, from being loved to death. :(

This photo was taken in 2000 - before our marriage. Bio had just proposed to me at Bridal Veil Fall. :wubu:

View attachment olmsted.JPG

Risible

Monkey Daze
tnek, I forgot to add - in my rush to post about me! - I love your rendition of the Olmstead Point tree! It induces a feeling of isolation in me; it's thought provoking.

RedVelvet

Airship Pirate
Well, that make two of us. No formal training. You soak the paper, wad it up, and very carefully spread it out over your base paper which should have a very thin layer of Elmer's glue smeared over it. Must be worked wet so it's handy to have a spray misting bottle at all times.

I can feel your hatred, *sigh*

Yeah....I hate you like I am thin....not so much. Rather envious tho....I mean.....I paint a lot..but its such a struggle. Your work looks precise ..but....almost effortless too.....some serious natural talent.

Your girl has good taste....I am loving this stuff.

And thank you very much for the technique....I love watercolor but know nothing about it, really...I just have at it, you know?

UMBROBOYUM

Heres one of my drawings. I've only been drawing for about a week, drawing manga style for two days. I'm testing the waters in drawing. Its my favorite so far.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Heres one of my drawings. I've only been drawing for about a week, drawing manga style for two days. I'm testing the waters in drawing. Its my favorite so far.
I like your drawings UMBROBOYUM! You definitely have a distinctive style, your proportion isn't anatomically correct per se, but it works aesthetically. If you have only been drawing for a week, what you are doing is very, very good! You draw better than some people I know who have been drawing for years!

-------------------------

Just a question for the painters... this is a really stupid question. I have an art degree (sculpture) but I can't for the life of me mix paint! Mixing paint almost always results in some hideous muddy mess. How do you guys do it?

BTW beautiful work, tnekkralc1956, RedVelvet, Divals and JoyJoy!

Also, I just dug my old portfolio out from under the house, I have a couple of blind contour drawings I've been meaning to post. I've been lurking, but I'm enjoying this thread!

Stan

RedVelvet

Airship Pirate
I like your drawings UMBROBOYUM! You definitely have a distinctive style, your proportion isn't anatomically correct per se, but it works aesthetically. If you have only been drawing for a week, what you are doing is very, very good! You draw better than some people I know who have been drawing for years!

Just a question for the painters... this is a really stupid question. I have an art degree (sculpture) but I can't for the life of me mix paint! Mixing paint almost always results in some hideous muddy mess. How do you guys do it?

Also, I just dug my old portfolio out from under the house, I have a couple of blind contour drawings I've been meaning to post. I've been lurking, but I'm enjoying this thread!

Stan

Mixing paint:

1. Always start with way less than you think you will need.

2. Be born with an innate, brilliant sense of colour.

Or....if merely mortal, like the rest of us:

3. Keep it simple. There is such a vast spectrum of paint out there, that often all you need to do is shift tone and lightness...say, by adding grey or white. Try shifting a colour, rather creating one from scratch, nu?

UMBROBOYUM

Stan
Thanks Stan! i've never drawn people until now, I used to draw landscapes.. .. I could only do stick frigures! not that thats bad but hah my stick figures have meat on them now! :D I've found a new love fro drawing ever since I began dipping into my guilty pool of admiration for bbws. I've been soaking up all the bbw art I can find. I love it and i'm happy drawing it!

I don't know much about paint mixing, haven't gone there yet lol sorry. Post your stuff up, maybe i can learn something from your stuff too!

need more data~@!~@~@~!!..
:p

RedVelvet

Airship Pirate
Thanks Stan! i've never drawn people until now, I used to draw landscapes.. .. I could only do stick frigures! not that thats bad but hah my stick figures have meat on them now! :D I've found a new love fro drawing ever since I began dipping into my guilty pool of admiration for bbws. I've been soaking up all the bbw art I can find. I love it and i'm happy drawing it!

I don't know much about paint mixing, haven't gone there yet lol sorry. Post your stuff up, maybe i can learn something from your stuff too!

Why guilty?

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Mixing paint:

1. Always start with way less than you think you will need.

2. Be born with an innate, brilliant sense of colour.

Or....if merely mortal, like the rest of us:

3. Keep it simple. There is such a vast spectrum of paint out there, that often all you need to do is shift tone and lightness...say, by adding grey or white. Try shifting a colour, rather creating one from scratch, nu?
Thanks RedVelvet, your wisdom and beauty are impeccable as always! Off hand, I know that I'm lacking in steps 1 and 2... certainly step 2. I probably have been mixing in too much colour, because I always end up trying to make corrections and then it turns to mud.

Again, your figures really are quite good for having only been drawing for such a short time. One thing I'd suggest, if I may (especially since you are showing us a series of drawings), you should start a thread ("UMBROBOYUM's Drawings", or something like that...) and post your images consecutively. Posting each of your images on separate threads is scattering them out and making it less likely that you will get feedback. Also, having all of your drawings together is a good way for us to see your progression, or the variety of things you do.

Keep making art UMBROBOYUM you are doing very well so far, I'd like to see more.

Stan

P.S. I noticed that you posted your website on your last thread... I'll take a look later, I'm just heading home from work... I'd still recommend starting a thread in this board and post some (or all) of your images on it. I think the feedback will be more immediate.

UMBROBOYUM

Thanks guys,
Redvelvet i love your art work here, its great!
I feel guilty sometimes because I don't live in a frienndly FA environment, that is to say, people around me don't really appreciate the fact that I love bbws. They make fun of me because of it, today someone said some of my work was disgusting, I don't care what others think, but it sure feels like some people just want to put ya down. I enjoy art and bbws :D.. Anyways Heres another piece to keep the thread on track.. its part of a wg progression i did before.http://umbroboy.deviantart.com/art/Casshika-2-63406297

RedVelvet

Airship Pirate
Thanks guys,
Redvelvet i love your art work here, its great!
I feel guilty sometimes because I don't live in a frienndly FA environment, that is to say, people around me don't really appreciate the fact that I love bbws. They make fun of me because of it, today someone said some of my work was disgusting, I don't care what others think, but it sure feels like some people just want to put ya down. I enjoy art and bbws :D.. Anyways Heres another piece to keep the thread on track.. its part of a wg progression i did before.http://umbroboy.deviantart.com/art/Casshika-2-63406297
Thank you...very kind of you to say.

Tina

Older and wiser now
First, do a little study on color theory:

This one has pretty colors. :p

This one gets more into the meat of it.

Any art store will have color wheels you can buy that will help you with color schemes, etc, and they are usually very reasonable and are something concrete you can hold in your hand before you begin, if you like.

Doing this will help you to have understanding before you start mixing -- such as that to get a tint you add white paint; to get tone you add black. Also goes into various color schemes, like tetradic, triadic, etc. As someone who lives for color, I enjoy this stuff immensely. Color rocks my world!

So, once you have this down, just take small amounts of paint and experiment. Don't plan on actually painting something realistic at first, but just do some color-mixing to lay color blocks down on paper. I suggest acrylics for this, as they are easier to deal with and thin with water, if you like. But to wash off of brushes, surfaces and clothing completely, as they do not wash off once dry. I used acrylics to paint jeans in the 70's and they stood up to the washer and dryer.

You might decide to take notes as you do mixing, if you like (approximate ratio of red to yellow in order to make a true orange, for instance). Doing this will help you to make the muddy colors on purpose (complementary colors mixed together, like red and green, for instance, make brown), if you want; but also whatever true and or vibrant colors you are shooting for.

After you get that down you can try using complimentary colors together, as in next to each other, to give the illusion of depth, like below, for instance. Cool colors tend to recede, while warm colors tend to advance, thereby creating the illusion of depth when you look at it and sort of relax your eyes and not look at one specific color.

It's good to just play, but also to educate yourself a bit first, so that your results are much less likely to be muddy and disappointing.

Have fun, Stan!

tnekkralc1956

...to add to the question about color mixing.

Years of working in my dad's body shop as his apprentice helped me learn how to color match, other than that I've been doing this since I was five. Practice.

A little poem I just made up for you,

Don't add black; you can't go back.
Too much white; you'll have a fight.

Walk towards reds, and greens and blues,
but mixing all makes muddy shoes.

1) Limit the colors you use on your palette from the beginning and you'll make it harder for yourself to make mud.

2) Decide which one, two, three, four, etc., basic colors you'll paint in and stick to them. Don't add a color outside of your color scheme after you've begun or you'll 'muddy' it up on the canvas trying to make it 'fit' in.

3) Start with only three colors (or less) and one tone. You learn how to juggle three before you learn to juggle more. Walk first, run later. Rose and grey can make love on a landscape and on a woman in portrait in just about any medium.

4) Too many strokes and it's a joke. Less is best.

5) Its easy to add color, it's impossible to take away.

6) Use that there color wheel. The theory is easy. I do the color wheel in my head. Never leave home without it. It's just the rainbow spectrum rolled so that the red and the violet join with a few little bells and whistles thrown in for good measure...

7) Limit the size of brush and how many brushes you use. Keep your work loose and simple before you try for detail. Details get muddy very easily.

All mediums mix differently. I've been talking around mixing opaque mediums. Transparent mediums mix and are also applied differently. They too, can be muddied, quite easily.

Latest posts