Caronavirus

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shotha

DM Supporter
Immunosuppressed, very high risk person, beginning my 4th week of “shelter at home” quarantine. Ordering groceries and getting mail and boxes is a crazy have to get rid of packaging and sanatize everything. There are YouTube videos, it is a long process. My hands are chapped from all the hand washing. I ran out of Cheetos, and I have no energy for a delivery.

up side is I got to watch Tiger King, Carol killed her husband, Fight Me!
Take your time and do everything that you need to to stay well. I'm using Bhagavad Gita 3.17 as my mantra now that we have gone into lockdown in New Zealand. It stops me from getting grumpy about the things that everyone else is getting grumpy. Our ancient wisdom is very helpful at times of crisis.

op user

Immunosuppressed, very high risk person, beginning my 4th week of “shelter at home” quarantine. Ordering groceries and getting mail and boxes is a crazy have to get rid of packaging and sanatize everything. There are YouTube videos, it is a long process. My hands are chapped from all the hand washing. I ran out of Cheetos, and I have no energy for a delivery.

I hope you are safe with the immunosuppression. I agree completely with the hands situation. I have very sensitive hands (I can go around even in winter, for short distances on Bermuda shorts and short-sleeve shirt, but my outside hand skin is sensitive - even at temperatures above freezing the skin cracks and it bleeds. A couple of days ago my hands are so chapped I am putting hand-cream several times a day.

I am suspeneded from the job and thus eligible for government assistance.

Now we know what Dragon Fly is considering as an essential surprised maybe we need to add ours.

For me is coffee and cheese.

Corey

Corey
I hope you are safe with the immunosuppression. I agree completely with the hands situation. I have very sensitive hands (I can go around even in winter, for short distances on Bermuda shorts and short-sleeve shirt, but my outside hand skin is sensitive - even at temperatures above freezing the skin cracks and it bleeds. A couple of days ago my hands are so chapped I am putting hand-cream several times a day.

I am suspeneded from the job and thus eligible for government assistance.

Now we know what Dragon Fly is considering as an essential surprised maybe we need to add ours.

For me is coffee and cheese.
Have you tried using Neutrogena Noregian Formula Hand Cream for your dry, cracked hands? A few years ago I was employed by an orthopedic surgeon and he used that cream for his hands. They never looked dry.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

I would love to drop by with a big bag of Cheetos for you and maybe help you with something you needed done around your home. From a safe distance from you of course.

Tracyarts

Well, we're under protective isolation at home. Both of us are on immune system suppressing medication and we both have high risk pre-existing conditions. My husband is an essential employee in an essential industry, but he's working from home though, so at least there's that bit of normalcy in our schedule.

We've been out twice in the past 3 weeks. Once for me to get blood drawn for routine lab tests, and then today my husband had to pick up some equipment from his workplace and pick up prescriptions that wouldn't be delivered on time on the way home. I made sure he wore a mask and gloves. He said it was weird going into a building where around 400 people usually work and there being maybe 7-8 in the entire place (IT, security, facilities manager, HR, and the few people picking up necessary equipment from their cubicles and offices).

Other than that, everything is being delivered. Groceries, random items, and as of next week our prescriptions. Total social isolation. We spoke to the neighbor from across the driveway once. It's just eerie.

OMG, the stores are low on so many essential items. We can't even get distilled water for cpap machines, so we're having to distill tap water on the stove. Which isn't difficult, but is a pain in the ass. No hand sanitizer, no bleach, no disinfectant wipes or sprays, no alcohol. We have disinfectant concentrate so we're fine there. But even alcohol wipes for injections and glucose test finger pokes are hard to get.

And now I'm on a waiting list for one of my autoimmune disease medications. Hydroxychloroquine, the potential wonder drug, has been hoarded up so fast that autoimmune patients are having trouble getting it. I may get my next month's supply before I'm out, but probably not. So my doctor upped my immune suppression medication and switched it from pill to injection in hopes that I won't have rebound flares from stopping the Hydroxychloroquine. So more needles. And these aren't little piddly pen needles either, they are syringes and vials. So I'm learning a new self-treatment skill.

Yeah, it's been stressful, but so far not many panic attacks, and I've been able to shut them down pretty fast when they start. We're just doing all we can to stay healthy. And starting a few little projects to have things to occupy ourselves.

op user

Have you tried using Neutrogena Noregian Formula Hand Cream for your dry, cracked hands? A few years ago I was employed by an orthopedic surgeon and he used that cream for his hands. They never looked dry.
Good advice and thank you for that:) and I am acting upon it. I am using it and as I can see from the tube I use the unscented version. And then I have a cheap one bought recently from the local food store and then one called "Dermalibour+" suggested/prescribed by a dermatologist. I am well stocked as far as hydration creams go. However as my sister says just like gym, linkedin the cream needs to be applied to be effective - unfortunately it does not work from the tube. As I am not used to apply it, I need to push myself to do so.

Orchid

No hand sanitizer 0 at online shops. So I bought a bunch of cheap light scented perfumes as is alcohol and use that. Daily I use hand cream several times so no dry skin, from the perfumed alcohol.

op user

If you can use soap and water instead of disinfectant. You can use very mild soap instead.

Edited to ad: We can not overemphasize to take out time to wash the clothes thoroughly (it takes about 25'') and dry them well.

Also I any one has issues against me regarding those posts I made the last half an hour or so: I apologize and don't comment on language mistakes. I typed them while trying to pay attention to a beer buddy who keeps whining about the isolation / quarantine.

If you have issues I offer beer (all you can drink) in my local watering hole when around.

Last edited:

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I would love to drop by with a big bag of Cheetos for you and maybe help you with something you needed done around your home. From a safe distance from you of course.
That is a very kind offer!!!! I live alone and there are times when it is tough. I have a former neighbor that came over today, she helped me wrestle my sewing supplies out. I’m planning on making cloth masks

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
Take your time and do everything that you need to to stay well. I'm using Bhagavad Gita 3.17 as my mantra now that we have gone into lockdown in New Zealand. It stops me from getting grumpy about the things that everyone else is getting grumpy. Our ancient wisdom is very helpful at times of crisis.
I have gone full circle back to Ahem Prema, I’m not takingterribly goid care of my self. Isolation and horrifying news puts me in the why am I even here mood.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I can’t even imagine. I’m sorry you’re stuck at home (and without Cheetos!) and wish people took this seriously instead of only thinking about themselves when out in public NOT social distancing. It makes me sad that people are not thinking about situations such as yours. ☹ I hope you find the energy to get yourself those Cheetos. Are you doing alright otherwise?

And Carol for sure killed her husband! That crazy wench.
I’m beginning to think that Bitch Carol is responsible for everything. Good news though is that I finally grabbed a time slot for grocery delivery. They have been booked out two weeks sold since this started. I was betting on not everything would be in stock. As a backup I grabbed a delivery order with a Target..... so while they were out of a lot of things, I ended up with the mother load of Poptarts, Chocolate Milk and celery. Not bad if I say so myself.

Corey

Corey
😂 We are on the same page with our theory about Carol. She can’t be trusted. This show has been a candy field for my ADD though, I tell you what. I’ve never seen something so strange in my life and my brain is here for it.

GOOD. I’m glad you got a time slot. I know NYC is much worse off than Texas right now. I hope you get all the things you need and more. I had a good chuckle about celery, though. You eat it by itself? I like to add peanut butter and raisins to make ants on a log.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
😂 We are on the same page with our theory about Carol. She can’t be trusted. This show has been a candy field for my ADD though, I tell you what. I’ve never seen something so strange in my life and my brain is here for it.

GOOD. I’m glad you got a time slot. I know NYC is much worse off than Texas right now. I hope you get all the things you need and more. I had a good chuckle about celery, though. You eat it by itself? I like to add peanut butter and raisins to make ants on a log.
Ants on a log is a classic, I also do cream cheese and most lately it is hummus. I will eat celery all on its lonesome. Just love it!

op user

Something much more on the lighter side: I read and I am afraid it is correct, as we keep listening what the symptoms are, the moment we get one of those symptoms we end up believing it we had IT. Obviously and fortunate it is not the case.

op user

Barbsjw, who said it is a good thing? It is just that the mind often thinks about the worst...

Few minutes later (after some serious thought) all is forgotten.

op user

I have a colleague, an engineer who keeps repeating "we are all going to die". Problem is the boss says the guy is always right.

A friend from high school who is a radio amateur says (when mentioned my colleague estimation) that he is not going to die until he has the entire band of FM radio to himself.

Group builder